1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2004 fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 PM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 fuel pump replacement

I usually hang out in the Excursion forum but need help with wife's Expy. The fuel pump has apparently gone out. Searched but could not find anything on replacing the pump. Why is it so expensive? Going to be about $400.00 just for the fuel pump module. Wow! Also truck is 10 miles from home, can I pull the Expy home with a tow strap without hurting anything? Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
jdecker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never changed it myself, but looking at the service manual it doesn't look that tough.
1.Drop the tank
2. disconnect two quick release fittings
3. Use Special tool (Motorcraft part# 310-075) to remove fuel pump lock ring
4. Remove the pump, being careful not to damage the fuel level sensor
5. Note the location of the fuel pump alignment tabs, remove the O-ring
Reverse to re-install.
Check Ford Parts Direct Online: Buy genuine Ford OEM auto parts & aftermarket accessories at wholesale prices. the are $235 if you can wait on it, as far as KC goes I can't find anyone that discounts parts (I'm in Lawrence) - if you do let me know!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:07 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Have you done a pressure and volume test? If so, remove fuel filter and put the fuel line from the tank into a catch can. Turn on the key. Does fuel trickle out? If yes replace pump. You have to release the filler neck, all electrical connectors and supply and return fuel line unless it is returnless. Make note of orientation of pump before removing lock ring. You can beat the lock ring off with a drift and a small hammer. Replace pump and strainer. Reverse the install.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
shadows4
Tuned
Originally Posted by jdecker
Never changed it myself, but looking at the service manual it doesn't look that tough.
1.Drop the tank
2. disconnect two quick release fittings
3. Use Special tool (Motorcraft part# 310-075) to remove fuel pump lock ring
4. Remove the pump, being careful not to damage the fuel level sensor
5. Note the location of the fuel pump alignment tabs, remove the O-ring
Reverse to re-install.
Check Ford Parts Direct Online: Buy genuine Ford OEM auto parts & aftermarket accessories at wholesale prices. the are $235 if you can wait on it, as far as KC goes I can't find anyone that discounts parts (I'm in Lawrence) - if you do let me know!
Thanks jdecker, that's the best price I have received so far. Was looking at $401 from two local parts houses, and $339 from a Ford employee hot line. I can feel the dark cloud starting to lift from my Christmas already!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
shadows4
Tuned
Update: Well I finally got the fuel pump replaced yesterday. Took about 5 hrs but I didn't get in a hurry and took frequent breaks. Ended up getting the pump from AUTOPARTS123.com. They were $227.39 with free shipping. Signed up for their email specials before ordering and got a coupon for 10% off first order making the pump $206.65! Anyway want to let people know it fixed. Thanks John

Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadows4
Update: Well I finally got the fuel pump replaced yesterday. Took about 5 hrs but I didn't get in a hurry and took frequent breaks. Ended up getting the pump from AUTOPARTS123.com. They were $227.39 with free shipping. Signed up for their email specials before ordering and got a coupon for 10% off first order making the pump $206.65! Anyway want to let people know it fixed. Thanks John
Glad to hear you've got it done. I read where you went into sticker shock over the price of your fuel pump and I can relate. The price for a similar pump for my '94 Mark VIII is discounted to $890. something from one of the online Ford dealers.
I can't understand how the manufacturers can justify prices like that for a fuel pump, these vehicles are not NASA engineered nor are they made of unobtanium. It just goes to show you what the manufacturers will do to you when they have you by the short and curlies. i.e. OPEC, oil industry, auto and parts industry.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
I'll do you one better. When Ford owned Jaguar they put the Ford Tauras engine in the S type. The turned the engine longitudinal and put a drive shaft and differential on it instead of a transaxle. If you wanted to replace an injector for the Ford Tauras it was about $50. If you wanted an injector for the Jaguar S type with the Ford Tauras engine it cost 3 times as much. By the way the Jaguar salesman didn't bother the customer that their new Jaguar had a Tauras powerplant under the hood and when they came in for service that paid Jaguar not Ford prices.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eallanboggs
I'll do you one better. When Ford owned Jaguar they put the Ford Tauras engine in the S type. The turned the engine longitudinal and put a drive shaft and differential on it instead of a transaxle. If you wanted to replace an injector for the Ford Tauras it was about $50. If you wanted an injector for the Jaguar S type with the Ford Tauras engine it cost 3 times as much. By the way the Jaguar salesman didn't bother the customer that their new Jaguar had a Tauras powerplant under the hood and when they came in for service that paid Jaguar not Ford prices.

Yup, life sucks and then you die.