1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent windows, gauges, radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:03 PM
mymanclint
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent windows, gauges, radio

Hello all, any help much appreciated.

2003 F250 Gas Superduty: My gauges, windows and radio will all stop/start working at will. Does not matter hot/cold rain/shine moving/idle. Sometimes quickly on off, sometimes hours at a time.
I have been researching for months trying not to take to dealer.
Have used elec. connection spray to clean most plug connections. New battery. Cable to battery connections very clean. Help....please..
Pat

Old 12-05-2009, 11:45 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you saying you'll be driving along and one of your power windows will begin operating? Or are you saying EVERYTHING starts working? How about headlights, which you didn't mention?

Does the vehicle otherwise work okay during these episodes, or does it begin to sputter and hesitate?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the FTE world!

First I would check the wires on the end of the shift lever, under the steering column cover. Here is a link at what to look out for. The short there is known to cause electrical problems. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...uestion-3.html

Apart from that I would also check the fuse box. The super duty is known to have leaking windshields, and that usually transpires to water that drips down into the fuse box area creating all sorts of funny electrical issues. Get in under the dash area and have a look behind that fuse box for corrosion.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:25 PM
mymanclint
New User
Barebones: This effects all windows. Along with gauges and radio (all together) It also effects the glove compartment light and the two manual switches on side lights located on the roof of the cab. Nothing else that I know of. Lets say I rolled the window down while things are working properly then the intermittent problem occurs. Sometimes I just wait a few seconds or minutes and the system will start working again. I can then roll them back up. But sometimes it will take hours to revive itself and I'm stuck with the window down. Sometimes like today they go on and off continually for varying period of time (not to say tho that the windows operate by themselves without the switch being depressed). Its especially irritating when your listening to the radio or cd because it plays/stops/plays/stops because of power loss I believe. This problem does not effect truck performance at all.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
mymanclint
New User
Thank you wallz: I will check those things and update.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
All of those things you mentioned are controlled by the delayed accessory relay. You know how when you turn off your truck, and the radio continues to play until you open a door? And after 10 minutes of listening to the radio it then shuts itself off? That is all controlled by the delayed accessory relay. I think yours is loose, or something is loose in that circuit. Start there.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Cobra1899
New User
Similar problem

I have a similar problem that started today on my 2004 F150. Rolled down driver side window then gauges, radio and fan blower stopped working, and couldn't get window back up. Stopped vehicle and was able to get window back up after re-starting. Then blower cut in briefly. Everything stopped working for about a half hour while driving.

Was in friends garage to check things and with engine off everything worked fine. Pulled all relays and connections under hood and added some anti-corrosion paste to all connections. Everything continued to work fine. Went for drive and everything stopped working again and then gauges, radio and blower started working but now it was one or the other or all.

Noticed at one time when gauges working that the check battery light was on and that the battery gauge was overcharging. Then the working/not working continued. Stopped to pick up daughter and with truck idling everything worked until I reved the engine then everything stopped again. When back to idling things worked. Did this a few times and watched battery gauge (while working) and it always showed overcharging just before shutting everything down. While driving after that it seemed while accelerating that things would shut off.

Could this problem be the alternator overcharging when the revs are up and tripping the relays? But why only these items? Engine seems to be running fine as well as signal lights, and wipers. Power locks are also part of the problem.

I haven't even re-tried the window because we're in the middle of a cold snap and don't want the window to stay down.

Maybe mymanclint can see if he can notice the same battery gauge overcharge indication.

Thanks for any assistance!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 PM
mymanclint
New User
Here's an update: I have tried to isolate circuit where the problem is to really no avail. I havn't noticed as of yet a voltage spike from the battery preceding the failures. But the gauges do at times spike upwards at times during the failures. I removed connection C270j (from the Central Junction Box) which disconnects the map lights and outside mirror controls and probably the trailer tow circuit. It didn't seem to help so after a bit of driving for a day or so I reconnected. I decided I would replace fuses 35 & 42 because of other posts recommending this even tho they tested good. It has seemed to help. I havn't yet got the on off on off as I'm driving. It has, a few times (the windows, map light and radio) not come on after starting. I am able get them started by shuting off and restarting engine and pressing the reset milage button (letting it pop back outward after pushing it in). They come back on. I suspect the problem lies in the instrument cluster circuit board tho. Likely the Battery saver relay. I'll keep update and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks all.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 PM
SsOnLaIkDe
New User
Same Problem

I have a similair problem to this. Add to it that my running lights are always on, as soon as you turn the ignition. Has anyone made any headway on figuring this mess out? I'm planning to spend some time this weekend looking things over, but I'd appreciate any help. This is a old thread so hopefully someone is still watching it! Thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Lots of people have had this problem including me, I haven't found any sure shot cure. Some people mess with the relays and such, I just bang on the dash above the radio and it all starts working again.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Ford buster
New User
I have the same problem

Windows quit working gauges go into spasms it all seems to start right after my brake light on the dash flickers and then I lose almost everything in the cab heater still works any thoughts?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Lots of people have had this problem including me, I haven't found any sure shot cure. Some people mess with the relays and such, I just bang on the dash above the radio and it all starts working again.
That's what I do. Kinda a pain in the butt too. From what I have seen it's just my windows and stereo.

my brake lights occasionally come on at their own will but I wiggle my wiring harness for the trailer brake control and they turn off, I'm assuming that it's something to do with the controller. It will be coming off.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 PM
freefal
New User
I have 2003 F250 SD XLT 4x4 that has problems with check engine light comes on at start up and then the radio,windows,instrument cluster and wipers all do not work. After a few seconds/minutes you hear a relay make noise and everything comes on except for the wipers. I can usually smack on the dash just above the radio and wipers will begin to work. I have replaced instrument cluster,GEM module and had entire dash apart. Had a mechanic work on it for more than 3 weeks looking all with no luck in finding reason. Could this be a ground issue under the dash or possibly a problem in the radio itself since hitting dash above radio will most of time correct????

Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
5wests
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford buster
I have the same problem

Windows quit working gauges go into spasms it all seems to start right after my brake light on the dash flickers and then I lose almost everything in the cab heater still works any thoughts?
I had a similar problem with the gauges when I drove up the Alcan HWY in December of '08. The gauges would peg to the right, to the left and then settle back down. My headlights would also get very dim. I kept pressing until I got to the next civilized town during daylight. My "T" on the passenger side battery ground was pretty (extremely) corroded. I cut the corroded section out and put on a new battery terminal. That fixed the gauges and headlights but I still have intermittant issues with the power windows/radio/climate control. IMO, that problem is a relay because when I shut it down and restart; it will fix the problem 98% (pulled percentage from thin air) of the time.

Back-up sensors.....completely new story but that's what mirrors are made for.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
FSeriesGuy04
Freshman User
Has anyone made any more headway on this issue? I just find it to be unique because my truck's radio, and lights work while the truck is in park or when I'm acceleration however when i take my foot off the accelerator the radio and lights do not work. I can hear the Delay accessory relay clicking in the passengers side junction box. I've read that it could be somehow related to the battery saver relay in the instrument cluster as well. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Intermittent windows, gauges, radio