1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Need to replace tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Danspeed1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace tie rod ends

The front end on my truck is really messed up. All the boots are gone on all the joints on my steering components. The tie rod ends feel like there are sand inside, they are very hard to move... so i figure... its time.

I am having trouble PROPERLY identifying the components of my steering system. I have an alldata diagram, but it's inconsistent with what is actually on my truck.

I am running up a huge bill on this truck so I would like to order the remainder of my parts off rockauto. But rockauto's ordering sheet is so specific, I am not sure exactly what I need. Rockauto tends to list 30 different parts, that are all described differently but are very similar infact. I just wanted to be sure i am not going to order the wrong thing.

I have a 1985 Ford F350 6.9L Diesel 4X4

Am I accurate....

Dan

Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd call them right inner, left inner, r outer, l outer

Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
I think moog used to call the 1st one a right side connecting tie rod

Old 11-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Danspeed1
Junior User
These are the parts I am order... this is very confusing because I don't think they refer to the right inner tie rod as a tie rod; but as a center link.

These are the parts I am looking at:

<table class="main" style="border-style: groove; border-width: 2px; background-color: white;"><tbody><tr class="part0" id="table409part0"><td><table class="parts"><tbody><tr><td class="left"><table class="layout"><tbody><tr><td>ACDELCO Part # 45A3033 {#88910705}
LINKAGE,STRG -; RIGHT HAND; INNER, 1ST DSG STRG LNKG W/ 22MM DIAM THRDS MUST BE REPLACED BY 2ND DSGN LNKG W/ 1 IN-18 DIAM THRDS; FROM 2/85; w/4WD; MONOBEAM FRONT AXLE</td></tr><tr><td class="center">Choose: <select name="optionchoice" size="1" onchange="changeOptionSelection(409, 0, this)"><option value="0"></option><option value="1"> [Regular Inventory -- Full Mfr. Warranty] ($100.89)</option><option value="2"> [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 4 Remaining) ($51.79) ^</option></select></td></tr><tr><td>^ Ships from same location as parts in cart</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="right" style="height: 40px;">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="center" id="node409part0price">$51.79</td><td class="center" id="node409part0core">$0.00</td><td class="center" id="node409part0total">$51.79</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="main" style="border-style: groove; border-width: 2px; background-color: white;"><tbody><tr class="part1" id="table410part9"><td><table class="parts"><tbody><tr><td class="left"><table class="layout"><tbody><tr><td>RAYBESTOS Part # 4011261B {Service Grade}
Left Outer; Four Wheel Drive (4X4); Thru 1/85; Twin I-beam Axle (Only 8 Remaining)</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="right" style="height: 40px;">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="center" id="node410part9price">$11.86</td><td class="center" id="node410part9core">$0.00</td><td class="center" id="node410part9total">$11.86</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="main" style="border-style: groove; border-width: 2px; background-color: white;"><tbody><tr class="part0" id="table410part10"><td><table class="parts"><tbody><tr><td class="left"><table class="layout"><tbody><tr><td>RAYBESTOS Part # 4011260B {Service Grade}
Right Outer; Four Wheel Drive (4X4); Thru 1/85; Twin I-beam Axle (Only 11 Remaining)</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="right" style="height: 40px;">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="center" id="node410part10price">$11.86</td><td class="center" id="node410part10core">$0.00</td><td class="center" id="node410part10total">$11.86</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="main" style="border-style: groove; border-width: 2px; background-color: white;"><tbody><tr class="part0" id="table410part24"><td><table class="parts"><tbody><tr><td class="left"><table class="layout"><tbody><tr><td>RAYBESTOS Part # 4051027B {Service Grade}
Left Inner; Four Wheel Drive (4X4); Thru 2/85; Twin I-beam Axle (Only 4 Remaining)</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="right" style="height: 40px;">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="center" id="node410part24price">$23.89</td><td class="center" id="node410part24core">$0.00</td><td class="center" id="node410part24total">$23.89</td></tr></tbody></table>
Does anybody know if this covers the entire steering setup...

DG

Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Danspeed1
Junior User
They also list a "Drag Link" what ever the hell that is.

DG

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Ya know, you can call them and they'll help you....

Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
What I am seeing, there is no "inner right hand" tie rod. That is the long piece with the hole in it, and they call it a drag link at most places.

Be careful also, you are very near the year when the f350's changed to the solid axle, so they may throw some of those part numbers in the list too and it's totally different.

That's why I did not order my balljoints from Rockauto, even though their prices were a little bit better. There were too many styles and it was too risky.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Danspeed1
Junior User
Called rockauto this morning. I am going to have a very hard time replacing these components. Supposedly there was a part change mid-year in 85. I need to know exactly what month my F350 was built in. Unfortunately my truck is a repaint (and not a very good one). It seems as though they painted over everything that gives any indication of what this truck has in it or when it was made.

So my next call was to the ford dealer... no such luck there. They only keep records or information relating to vehicles 12 years old or newer.

Finally I called Ford North America. They told me they too had no information on my truck, BUT would be glad to send my personal information and VIN number to there research department. They would be able to tell me what Day, Month and year the vehicle was produced on. They also told me they would mail me a build sheet. This is very cool however, it will take no less than 3-4 weeks. This is certainly not going to help me get my truck together.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
I was reading a similar thread that linked to a parts listing that seemed to indicate that if you have the 22mm tie rod you have to upgrade to the 1". If you get the sleeves with it this might be an option, I was going to suggest that you replace the sleeves anyway.
This info Tie Rod and Drag Link End Identification might help you out

Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Coresair
Freshman User
Tie rod ends, etc

I, too, am going through this process, and have researched the parts needed to replace all steering linkage on my '89 F250. The RockAuto listings are totally confusing and frustrating to understand, descriptions are vague at best and illustrations unintelligible. I printed out seven pages of the various tie rod listings so as to be better able to understand precisely what should be ordered. In particular, the "service grade" and "professional grade" ratings were very confusing. What does that mean, I asked myself, as if the safety/quality of the components were a negotiable part of the decision making. I opted to buy the parts from Autozone (no affiliation of any kind) and the parts are of good quality and fit, at a competitive price. I have bought quite of bit from Rockauto in the past but the last time I ordered from them I got hit with shipping charges that broke the budget. All the items I ordered (6 different parts) came from ... you got it, six different locations and shipping charges more than negated whatever price advantages may have been found in the cost of the parts. YMMV.

Cheers,
Norman C

Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
Supposedly there was a part change mid-year in 85.
I bet they are talking about the change to the straight axle. You have the twin-i-beam so you have a early model.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:13 AM
hittman1422
Elder User
while you're at it id check the ball joints or king pins... also shocks! when i redid mine we did a full suspension overhaul, made a huge difference... good luck!

Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Danspeed1
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I bet they are talking about the change to the straight axle. You have the twin-i-beam so you have a early model.
Can anybody else confirm this....

This was the only change mid-85?

Dan

Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Danspeed1
Junior User
Originally Posted by hittman1422
while you're at it id check the ball joints or king pins... also shocks! when i redid mine we did a full suspension overhaul, made a huge difference... good luck!

Shocks are shot, but that's ok for now. Ball joints look pretty good. Nice and tight. I greased them yesterday. King pins... not sure where they are located.

DG

Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
You will have king pins OR ball joints, not both.

Here is what king pins look like:

Quick Reply: Need to replace tie rod ends