1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Classified are a PITA

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Classified are a PITA

Tried to place a add for a running board bolt kit in the classifieds. Everything seemed to go along fine, until I clicked Post It. The Add just disappeared into space, I guess. It does not show up in the parts for sale section.
Have a few other things to sell, but I guess I will go to ebay.
I have noticed that most of the new improvements on this site are tearing it down and making it harder to use. Not Fun!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iv'e figured out how to find parts.
Can't find trucks b y yr grps.

Just like the Military They're here to help you
and
Wer're damn' glad to have ya.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dongc1
Tried to place a add for a running board bolt kit in the classifieds. Everything seemed to go along fine, until I clicked Post It. The Add just disappeared into space, I guess. It does not show up in the parts for sale section.
Have a few other things to sell, but I guess I will go to ebay.
I have noticed that most of the new improvements on this site are tearing it down and making it harder to use. Not Fun!
I no longer use the classifieds here. It is too hard to find anything.

I build software and I can tell you that there is constant pressure to improve... the application, web site, service. But simplicity for the user is very important. If a new feature adds even one additional mouse click or requires additional thought, the user may go elsewere. When Ebay made their new improved format manditory, I reduced buying from ebay because it took longer to search and find what I wanted. But that was OK because that meant more time to search Craiglist.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I agree with Frank.
I hate looking at these FTE classifieds now......please change and go to how it was.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Much of the changes are centered around security. Some fool is always trying to find your address to steal, etc.

And as Frank mentioned, one little change may deeply affect tons of stuff in a program. On the other hand, I found my very short tenure in IT a very frustrating experience. The IT community (not all people like Frank) seem to be very disjointed when it comes to all contributing to the final product. Things always seem to need fixing, and they just will not leave a good thing alone once they have it - job security I guess.

I wish they would just do the job right the first time then LEAVE IT ALONE!

Example: MS Windows Vista - what a MESS!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
MS Windows Vista - what a MESS!
Windows 7 is very nice. They cleaned up many of Vista's problems (and usability issues).

Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One could only hope!!!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
IT guys are like politicians, they think if they aren't constantly screwing with things to make them "better" instead of leaving what work alone people will notice we don't really need them that much. Both groups seem to screw things up worse whenever they "fix" a problem, even if one doesn't exist. Problems come up on every web site I go to whenever something is changed. Frank, you have it right, people don't like having to do extra clicks to get somewhere on a web site. If I have to screw around with new gizmos on a web site I tend to call the people in charge and let them know what I think about it. Most aren't too happy hearing from me.

The biggest waste of time and money, IMO, especially on a commercial web site, is a flash introduction. When I'm checking out a web site to find a product I want I never watch the flash intro, it's one of the biggest waste of time. I always skip it. I bet those companies pay a small fortune for the intro and I'll bet 99% of the visitors skip it.

Another thing for the IT guys to think about, the posts in this thread indicate that if there are changes to a site that make it difficult to use many of us will not use the site. I would say most of members are somewhat interned savvy but there are a lot of people like my wife who thought until recently that when you went on line the computer would suck all the information out of your head, well not really but she never liked using it. This type of person doesn't like using the internet in the first place and they really don't like using it if things are constantly changing, usually for the worse. I've had to spend a lot of time helping my wife navigate web sites for bank, insurance and government web sites. It's a wasted of both of our time.

Same thing with software programs, the average guy, like me, uses only 10% of the features of any given program but every two years some one has to come along and screw with it, changing features, moving feature access to different places and the overall look of the program. I just get use to using a program and it gets all screwed up. My favorite is an update that makes the program incompatible with the current operating system so I have to spend more money for update the operating system. That's what it basically boils down to, more money for the IT guys and the program makers.

Note to IT guys; if it works don't fix it!!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
... my wife who thought until recently that when you went on line the computer would suck all the information out of your head...
Bob Your wife is not far from wrong. I have been working on a series of products to suck information out of people. One product is a software component that can be added to any web site. The user doesn't even know it is there. I can't talk specifics here, but here is a video explanining how it works in non software terms.

This Will Suck All The Wax Out Of Your Head - Video

BTW that is not me in the video that is our lead tester. He visits all the sites running the 'secret component' on a daily basis.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
I hate the changes as well, no longer look at the classifieds which I used to do all the time looking for parts. Now I head to Ebay. It's shame as it was a good way to help each other. I rather pay someone from FTE than a complete stranger.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
As you can see by the responses that this subject is a top priority for our leaders.
Maybe if we all chipped in and bought some ad space-------

Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisb56
I hate the changes as well, no longer look at the classifieds which I used to do all the time looking for parts. Now I head to Ebay. It's shame as it was a good way to help each other. I rather pay someone from FTE than a complete stranger.
DITTO, cept I really don't like ebay that much to fight to use it...

Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There's classified ads on here??? Whoda thunk it?
I gave up on the classifieds a long time ago, now giving up on posting pictures in my gallery. Pretty soon if the site get much more cluttered up with rollover pop-ups etc I'll give up posting all together.
PS: requiring a new member to have to post 20 or 25 times before he/she can use search, PMs etc is just pure lame! Especially when that threshold info is not revealed when they register. It just wastes a lot of bandwidth and the rest of us our time answering the same basic questions over and over when a search would reveal pages of discussion on the same subject and show the newbee just how much helpful information this place actually contains. Had it been necessary for me to first post 25 times to search when I first registered I'd have been long gone well before that!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
The HAMB has a lot more traffic than FTE and other than some of the smart a$$ poster, is a much friendlier place. You can search the board a lot easier, without post restrictions. You have a lot more mailbox space and you can freely upload pictures without either first being a paying member, which as far I can tell, aren't any on the HAMB other the the Alliance members. The classified are basic but very easy to navigate. They have a great site, read simple, site without a load of ads. FTE has a mess of ads and sponsors and it is more difficult to use and has problems on a monthly basis.

I have a feeling I'll get heat for my comments, FTE doesn't like mentioning other web sites. I realize we're getting this site for basically free, at least us cheap skate, non-supporters are, but I just can't understand why there are so many problems with it. Like I said before, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:53 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Bob
Reading your post I realize that I haven't gotten a nastygram from FTE Ken since forever.
The only way I gotten static is when I open a complaint gripe about their IT skills with the solution spelled out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Classified are a PITA