1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel leak on 96 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Fuel leak on 96 7.3

Morning All, my 96 has a slight fuel leak, SOMEWHERE?!?! I just changed the oil, wiped everything down, 300 miles later there is a drip, and some wetness on the clutch slave cyl.
Are there any common areas to look at? I am looking at getting some of the ultra-violet dye and run it thru and see if I can find it. 5 min. idling in the garage had a small drip on the floor, and that was after driving 6 miles home up hill.
I hate leaks, and I can just barely smell this in the cab.
Thanks
Joe

Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
14psd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely fuel pump. But your just gonna have to get dirty. If it is coming down the back side of the engine I would be it's your fuel pump. Been there done that. Not a hard repair just time consuming. Search our forum and there are several who have done write ups on it. I even think I did one but I can't find it right now. And no you don't have to remove the turbo to change the fuel pump. Just patients and time. Make sure you have a good set of tools. I don't remember all the sizes and stuff but you'll need an universal, a way to lay across the top of your engine to work on it. Get comfortable you'll be there a bit. Let us know how it goes. I gotta get back to work.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
brooksbronco17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man sorry to hear about the leak. My dad and uncle both had leaks after the switch to ulsd go figure. Both of those leaks ended up being the fuel pump but while i was in there i got orings for the fuel bowl from HERE and about a foot of 3/8" fuel injector hose with the blue inner sleeve from napa. To look for the fuel pump leak, from the front of the engine look to bottom left of the pump for fuel being spit out or clean engine and put a towel there.

Now that i think about it both of their filter restriction sensors leaked too and got replaced with a 1/8" npt pipe plug. Might check there also, facing engine, right side of fuel bowl on the fpr, its metal and plastic crimped together and thats where it was leaking.

Good luck man
Brooks

Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Thanks Gents, I have crawled all over it looking, guess I can narrow it down and start looking closer at the fuel pump then.
Thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Well NAPA has one in stock for about $104, is there anything else I need to get before I start? I read up on the electric fuel pump conversions,,,, WOW some nice work on those, but I don't have the time or the $ right now for that.
Our Maint. shop has one of the over-creeper things for working on the Fords, so I will borrow it friday night!! That should help, and one of the "official" mechs is a friend of mine, and he said he might stop by for a beer and assistance if needed.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Do I need anything else?

Hey guys, do I need anything else before I tear into this friday?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
brooksbronco17
Senior User
You'll need an 1 1/4" wrench ,not a socket and ratchet, to get to the banjo nut on the back of the pump. Not everyone has a wrench that big in the set. Other than that regular tools will get it done. I would do those orings on the fuel bowl while in there but doubt you would get them by friday. There are 2 copper washers on that banjo nut, be sure their back on when you tighten it back up. Also I got our pumps from oreilly's and they were alot cheaper than our napa. Same carter pump and everything. Napa was $125. Oreillys was 100. Sounds like your napa is better than mine.http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...s2/cussing.gif

Old 10-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by brooksbronco17
You'll need an 1 1/4" wrench ,not a socket and ratchet, to get to the banjo nut on the back of the pump. Not everyone has a wrench that big in the set. Other than that regular tools will get it done. I would do those orings on the fuel bowl while in there but doubt you would get them by friday. There are 2 copper washers on that banjo nut, be sure their back on when you tighten it back up. Also I got our pumps from oreilly's and they were alot cheaper than our napa. Same carter pump and everything. Napa was $125. Oreillys was 100. Sounds like your napa is better than mine.http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...s2/cussing.gif
Yep, I have an 1 1/4" wrench, I used to stack towers and do cellular/microwave installs, ya needed the big ones!
As far as NAPA, I work for a privately owned company, that employs quite a few people up here, and our maint shop buys our parts from NAPA, and we have a pretty large fleet to keep up, so they give us a discount. Plus, when I have so many trucks in my fleet I use them for all my stuff I need also.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I would suggest that you get a good mirror and a bright flashlight. Wash/wipe the entire valley down with a cleanser ie Simple Green, etc and find that leak before you start replacing $100.00 parts here and there.

There are several places that we develop fuel leaks and they all end up at the rear of the motor and run down the back. Seek and thee shall find.
(Maybe, He he,he)

Rog

Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Thanks kawa, that is kinda the plan, but I like having the fuel pump with me, if in fact that is the culprit! If not, NAPA is good about returns !

Old 10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Another spot that will leak fuel after time is the hard fuel lines that go to the back of the heads in the fittings there is a rubber seal the one on the passenger side head is close to the down pipe the heat from the exhaust will make it fail over time.

If you end up changing your fuel pump I would also change these seals The part number from Ford is -F4TZ-9C387-A- they were like 2 bucks

Good Luck ..Happy Hunting

Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WALJON
Another spot that will leak fuel after time is the hard fuel lines that go to the back of the heads in the fittings there is a rubber seal the one on the passenger side head is close to the down pipe the heat from the exhaust will make it fail over time.

If you end up changing your fuel pump I would also change these seals The part number from Ford is -F4TZ-9C387-A- they were like 2 bucks

Good Luck ..Happy Hunting
THANKS!! I will be calling Ford 1st thing in the a.m. and see if they got em!! These are the little things that are greatly appreciated from here!
Thanks ALL! The nice part is that we aren't hooking up the 5th wheel until next thurs, to roll down south on friday, so I have a couple evenings if'n need be.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Exclamation Urgent, before Oreilly's/Kragen closes!!!

Ok, to the right of the fuel filter, is a sending unit,,,, what is it, that is my fuel leak!!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Depending on which one it is...either the "Water in fuel" or the "Fuel Bowl Heater"

I can't recall which is which but I think that the heater is the top one. If it's the heater then you have to unplug it from the inside of the filter before you remove it.

Rog

Old 10-31-2009, 01:13 PM
brooksbronco17
Senior User
Bet your talking about the fuel restriction sensor. It's the sensor sticking way out of the fuel pressure regulator. I could see it dripping just looking at it. I just put a 1/8" pipe plug in it because everyone says it's not necessary.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak on 96 7.3