1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

won't crank over or do anything

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
hondalover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post won't crank over or do anything

sorry guys im a honda lover but besides that my brother loves his ford so does my dad!!!

any ways the trunk won't crank over won't do anything
he's replaced the starter and the starter solanied..

the truck is a 98 ford f-150 4.6 2 by 4 and 4by4
i not to retarted when it comes to cars bu the truck i can't figer out

when u turn the key over the starter solanied clacks but does nothig else...
it seems like their is no power going to the starter.

when i go under the truck he turned the key and a little bit of smoke came from the starter
the truck only sat for about 6 months someone said the the engine might be sized

who can that be if it only sat for six months and ran great b4 it sat thier for six months

any help would greattly be appercated!!!!!! ill do mi best to provide u with any info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Once you let the magic smoke out you have to replace the component it came out of. Pull the starter and get it tested.
Disconnect the battery Neg. cable then the Positive cable.
Unbolt the starter.
Disconnect the starter from the wiring.
Reverse to install.
BTW Welcome to FTE.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...1999_Ford_F150
Look to paying around $140

Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can put a breaker bar on the crank and see if the motor is seized. I had one seized and it didn't burn the starter up. Have the battery tested while you're getting the starter tested, too.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
You can also have a seized parasitic device that could keep the crank from spinning. Pull the serpentine belt and try cranking the engine. If that doesn't help you can manually try spinning the crank as you were told.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 PM
hondalover
New User
allright guy aand girls if any.... anywayss the starter sis brand new the alternator has been tested and use a battery from another running truck, when trying to crank over but all that is good i have covered all them areas and replaced the starter solinoied...

the only thing that has'nd been done ye trying to use the breaker bar to manualy turn the motor..

now if the motor has siezed up WHAT DO I DO????
as soon as he tries to turn the motor i will up dated u and tell you what is going one

THANKS

Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
You get some new glasses and read the reply to the post above the one you just made.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:50 AM
redwood
Elder User
If the starter and battery are good, pull the belt, manually turn the motor. If it won't turn at that point, then its time to look for another engine to put in it or look at a rebuild. You can pick up a used engine for anywhere from $1000 and up for a good one. And before the question pops up, another like motor (check the 8th digit of the VIN) is the easiest and cheapest swap.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:02 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
If the battery and starter are good he can pull the belt and let the starter motor try to spin the crank. If it doesn't it's time to go fish. If it does it's time to find out what is keeping the belt from turning which in turn keeps the crank for spinning. If the starter won't spin the crank with the belt removed I'd still try to spin it manually as was suggested to see if you can turn it over. There should be some resistance(valve springs and compression), but not a lot. If you hit a point where it gets much harder to turn than at other points in the rotation you've got a problem.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 PM
hondalover
New User
Originally Posted by eallanboggs
If the battery and starter are good he can pull the belt and let the starter motor try to spin the crank. If it doesn't it's time to go fish. If it does it's time to find out what is keeping the belt from turning which in turn keeps the crank for spinning. If the starter won't spin the crank with the belt removed I'd still try to spin it manually as was suggested to see if you can turn it over. There should be some resistance(valve springs and compression), but not a lot. If you hit a point where it gets much harder to turn than at other points in the rotation you've got a problem.
ok my brother has turn the motor over with a breaker bar the motor is not siezed.
i have told him to charge the battery that he has for the truck and try to turn the motor over.

he has a few parts removed from the truck right now.
i will get back with yall tommorow and tell you what happens after he charges and trys to crank the motor over.

thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 06:27 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
It might seem backwards but a seized pulley on a parasitic device can keep the crank from spinning up. If your P.S., water pump, Alt., or A/C won't turn the serpentine belt can't move which keeps the engine from starting. That's why you remove the belt to see if the crank spins. It takes all of 5 minutes to do this check.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Invictus2687
New User
Hey I'm hondalovers brother. First I'll tell you everything I've done.

Replaced starter(only reason it smoked was because a wire was cross touching another), both solenoids( attached to starter and the one on the firewall), replaced battery leads, replaced sparkplugs, tested alternator(good), manually turned over the engine with a breaker bar, battery is fully charged and holding the charge.... that's about it.

When I crank her over I'm hearing a strong clunk, kinda like she is wanting to turn over but is getting stuck on something. I've checked the inspection plate for the flywheel and there doesn't appear to be anything jamming it.

Anything you can suggest will be greatly appreciated, I need my truck for work. I'll check in a couple times a day to view comments and give feedback. Thanks

Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
This sounds mechanical which isn't good. Does it make any difference whether you try to start it with the belt "ON" or "OFF"? You can spin the crank manually, but the starter won't spin the crank. I'd bench test the starter and I'd turn the crank with the belt "ON" and "OFF". I don't mean a little bit. You need to go through the entire 4 stroke cycle. I'd turn that thing at least 5 revolutions by hand and observe if there is any point where more effort is required to spin the crank.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
redwood
Elder User
Eallanboggs - shot in the dark, but could a ballooned torque converter cause this?

Definitely make sure the motor is manually turned in COMPLETE revolutions. There could be a conflict in the top of the motor that only shows up at a certain point in the cycle.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Invictus2687
New User
Not sure if it makes much of a difference but she only sat out for about 4 months without being started. Haven't tried to crank her over with the belt yet. I got another starter today and will put it on tomorrow. Not enough light right now. The solenoid was bad. How would I know if I turned it one full rotation?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Put an index mark on the crank pulley with whitout.

Quick Reply: won't crank over or do anything