Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Hello Colorado.... I've broght an OK 1979 to CO

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 10:26 AM
ItsBob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently jumped into the fun of vintage truck ownership and am having a great time. I bought my "Father-in-Laws" 1979 F150 with a 400.2 wheel drive. My wife and I drove it from Elk City OK to Aurora with only one problem. The fuel filter clogged near Amirillo Tx. I was just happy it made it without major disaster. Now that I have it up here at "High Altitude" it is time to do something about it. I did buy a "Settings" manual for '79-80 Ford Carbs on Ebay. (waiting for it to arive) I believe it has the original carb on it... and excuse me I don't know what it is right now... (too cold to go out and check). I would like to hook up with anyone that would like to talk about the ins and outs of the the older trucks. I've seen the posts about the junk yard in Aurora, and as soon as it warms up a little I will be out there looking. I am so happy with what I've seen about this truck so far. It seems to be almost rust free. The one door has a little rust but everything else seems to be surface rust. It is an XLT with copper and white 2 tone. I am going to buy new wheels and tires for it real soon. Could anyone comment on this tire wheel size combo?>>> 15x8" wheels with 31x10.5 tires. I could not get a firm answer from the tire guy if he thought they would rub at all. I did see this size on a F150 in Denver, and they looked good.

any comments would be apreciated,
Bob

Old 03-03-2002, 12:59 PM
UglyF250
Senior User

Welcome to FTE

Hope you enjoy the old beast. Most days I love mine, but it has been giving me a ration of crap recently. There's lots of great info. on this site. I have written none of it!

Enjoy the truck and the site!

Old 03-03-2002, 02:19 PM
ItsBob
New User

Thanks for the Welcome to FTE UglyF250. I have already found at least 4 fixes for my truck on here... most will have to wait until the temp goes over 30. I have been cruising the site for hours and it is great. Now if I could just find someone to give me the parts for free!

See you in the postings,

Bob

Old 03-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Bull
Senior User

Welcome to Colorado! Only time I was at OK was during my boot camp at Fort Sill. There are tons of older Ford trucks at Pull-N-Save. Check out their link that one of the junk yard posts.

Old 03-07-2002, 08:18 AM
UglyF250
Senior User

Just last night I made a list of all the stuff my truck needs, and stuff I just plain want. It's a long, long list. But about 5 grand should cover it.

That includes a free paint job, otherwise I'd have to alomost double that. It's good to have friends in low places.

Old 03-07-2002, 08:47 PM
ItsBob
New User

Well Ugly... my list just got pretty long and expencive too, thanks to the good people at the Polution/Inspection place. I guess it is really the State of Colorado. It seems that I will have to re-do the exaust system (which needs done anyway) with a cat converter. I will have to figure out if my truck should have an air pump. I have to figure where this charcol canister hooks up. Oh did I mention I also have to figure out how to get the proper jetting done on the carburetor too. OH! the joy of high altitude/polution controls. Well, I have the next 2 months to figure that all out, when the temp tags run out. I was pleased though.. today after the poor miss jetted monster has sat for 2 weeks... it fired right up! I know this thing is gonna run great when I get the carb figured out. Have a fun one Ugly.

Bob

Old 03-12-2002, 09:17 PM
rockenbman
New User

Welcome to the FTE site im sure you will
find every thing you need will be easy to get,
just need the cash to buy the parts> I know
this part all to well. If you need help
finding any parts please let me know
ill be glad to Help.:-X11

Old 03-12-2002, 10:45 PM
UglyF250
Senior User

You could always move to Pueblo. No pollution control down here! WoooHooooo!

Old 03-19-2002, 09:01 PM
El Guapo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post