New bio pump in town???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:09 PM
damuddog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New bio pump in town???

I've never run the bio-fuel before and we just got our first pump in this area. They are offering a "high-blend biodiesel (B99 in summer, B50 in winter) for on-road vehicles and B20 for off-road equipment that can also be used in any No. 2 oil furnace".

What do I need to do to run this?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull up to the pump, insert the pump into filler neck, squeeze handle. Seriously, you're good to go. If you've never run it, I would recommend having some spare fuel filters on hand. Bio is a good solvent and it will clean the junk out of your tank depositing it into your filters, etc. You'll want to change them a couple times after you start running it. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:34 PM
JHoffman93
Senior User
Bio fuel is great! I burn B100 most of the year. In the cold winter months I mix it with regular diesel. I get my fuel delivered to the house (I have a farm tank on a stand). The last batch I bought cost me $2.20 a gal. and at the time the fuel at the pump was $2.69. Bio diesel is not used veggie oil. It is filtered, cleaned and the glycerin in pulled out, smells great when it is burring too.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JHoffman93
Bio fuel is great! "snip" Bio diesel is not used veggie oil. It is filtered, cleaned and the glycerin in pulled out, smells great when it is burring too.
I'll secound that, I love the smell out the tailpipe when there's B20 in the tank of my truck. I'm not in a postion to "brew" my own BioDiesel, so I buy it locally when I can...I just can't pay up to 40 cents more a gallon for the stuff. When it's with-in 10 cents I'll go for it. Maybe someday so I'll get to start brewing my own.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:41 PM
The-Mechanic
New User
Bio fuel is the most stupidest decesion to use besides regular fuel.because it uses a sqaure yard of corn to make one drop of that crap. Guess what if every one uses it will just make a more loss of crops.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:30 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by The-Mechanic
Bio fuel is the most stupidest decesion to use besides regular fuel.because it uses a sqaure yard of corn to make one drop of that crap. Guess what if every one uses it will just make a more loss of crops.
Most operations don't use corn to make BioDiesel. BioDiesel makes since, ethanol doesn't.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User
its good to hear that Bio-Diesel is starting to spread all over the country. be carefull for anything over b-20 in cold weather. I run B100 most of the year but, even in socal I dont if the temps get below 40deg it can gel/cloud a a much higher temp than regular D2

Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM
JHoffman93
Senior User
Bio fuel is the most stupidest decision to use besides regular fuel.because it uses a square yard of corn to make one drop of that crap. Guess what if every one uses it will just make a more loss of crops.
The bio fuel I use is made from used cooking oil from Wendie's. It makes use of an otherwise waisted product and it is cheaper than regular diesel fuel. Bio diesel is usually made from soy beans not corn anyway. But bio made from soy is expensive. The used cooking oil is great. It saves the landfills, makes awsome fuel and cost less.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The biodiesel I make is made from waste fryer oil which I pick up from 3 restaurants. From a waste standpoint, it's one less thing going to the landfill. A local company, Standard Biodiesel, does what I do on a commercial level, and sell their biodiesel at pumps around the area.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM
The-Mechanic
New User
I'm not talking about the grease ones I mean ethonal crap the ones that run one cooking oil and stuff are good but ethonal that shell gas station sells is just a waste of money.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
I'm not talking about the grease ones I mean ethonal crap the ones that run one cooking oil and stuff are good but ethonal that shell gas station sells is just a waste of money.
I think your confusing the terms BioDiesel and BioFuels, the later is an umbrella for any fuel made from a renewable resource and not pumped out of the ground like convention Dino-oil based fuels. With that said, yes...corn based ethonal is a joke until you crank the compression up on the gas engines they're running that stuff in. Where as veggie/animal fat based biodiesel is great and when using waste cooking oil...is a win-win situation.