Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal relay location??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:16 PM
chazman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this where the 4 way /emergency flasher is located. mine stops blinking after a minute or so.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Paultv
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes directional and flasher are the same

Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm about to replace my flasher relay with the EP-27 from Napa. Haynes manual says to unhook the connectors (to the bulbs?). Did you need to do that or is it simply pull the old one out, new one in?

Old 03-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Paultv
Senior User
I just pulled the flasher out and put the other in .

Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Update: Changed it. PITA to get to. Had to remove that whole bottom panel.

In order to remove the bottom panel below the AC/fan control panel, had to remove the radio to access the 2 screws to lift the top dash panel off just to expose the 2 screws that secures that bottom panel. Then 2 screws for that hook thingy below the cup holder. Remove that hook so you can reach the 2 screws on the bottom of the cup holder. 2 outer cup holder screws and 2 more bottom screws for the panel. Total 12 screws need to be removed. Then the flasher is in a black cover. Pull and replace.

The Napa flasher is taller than the OEM blue flasher so the cover can't go back on. Putting everything back is just the reverse of taking it all apart.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Paultv
Senior User
I didn't take anything apart, I just laid upside down on the seat and reached my skinny arm all the way up there and popped the cover off and didn't think I could get it back together with one hand, but did somehow.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Paultv
I didn't take anything apart, I just laid upside down on the seat and reached my skinny arm all the way up there and popped the cover off and didn't think I could get it back together with one hand, but did somehow.
No Cirque du Soleil here. I couldn't contort my body like a gymnist like that. LOL.

I had no idea what to look for or what it even looked like. Easier to locate once that panel was off. Did all that during my lunch break at work. Took a little over an hour to complete.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 PM
LWW
Elder User
After my experience trying to track down the flasher relay and the kind help scattered around in different threads and different SD forums from those on the board combined with the disturbing lack of pictures in posts directly related to the topic, I took it upon myself to take some.

Since my Ex was recently broken into and my stereo stolen I had an easier time of it after I realized I could get easier access through the radio opening without pulling out all the dash components.

The relay is stupidly hidden in a small black box with the fuel relay that makes it NOT LOOK LIKE A RELAY! It really irritates me and I can't fathom why Ford did this...

edit: I realized the case was probably to keep the clicking noise down as the relay operates...

If you're reading this because you installed LED's and your lights are flashing too fast, for ~$13 you can get a timer based relay that will use a constant flash frequency regardless of load from here:

Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

This one $13 relay will fix EVERY bulb instead of buying high wattage resistors at $5/ea for every bulb and it works with a mix of standard incandescent as well as LED bulbs.

In my opinion, adding resistors is the WRONG solution since it eliminates one of the primary benefits of LED's which is reducing the load on the electrical system and extending it's life!

Anyway, here's the pics.

The opening:

Name:  IMG_1655.jpg
Views: 41711
Size:  80.0 KB

Turning slightly left:

Name:  IMG_1656.jpg
Views: 44733
Size:  68.7 KB

Looking down and slightly to the left (driver's side) is the ****ty relay "cover" box. You can see it's already loose since I decided to take pics after I pried it off:

Name:  IMG_1658.jpg
Views: 39623
Size:  115.8 KB

FINALLY! The blue one is the one you're looking for:

Name:  IMG_1657.jpg
Views: 38623
Size:  118.9 KB

The relay was a total bitch to get out of there. I had to spend about 5 minutes pulling and wobbling it to get it to let go!

Have fun!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 AM
dvldog458
Elder User
AHHH pics!
thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
LWW
Elder User
Now I need someone to tell me why my reverse LED bulbs don't work but the original bulbs do and I'll be a happy camper!

Oh, and anyone know how to get to the front turn signal bulbs? I'm stumped. It looks like I'll have to pull the front inner fender liner out to change them...

Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM
dosecobanya
Senior User
Hey fellas, how are your LEDs working now? i just bought a set and had that hyper-flash, and i almost bought all those resistors for each light.
thanks for the insight on that relay. and i also wanted to brig this thread back up from the merky deep for those who are doing the same thing right now...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
dvldog458
Elder User
Mine is still working great with the upgraded flasher relay.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhh, I found it... I am getting ready to do this. Anyone have pictures of before and after their swap? Of the LED's on the truck that is. Just curious how big of a difference they make.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
dosecobanya
Senior User
Originally Posted by TXtinct
Ahhh, I found it... I am getting ready to do this. Anyone have pictures of before and after their swap? Of the LED's on the truck that is. Just curious how big of a difference they make.
I was just about to send you here. The difference isn't huge, but the cool factor is!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Gordon-0
Senior User
question for you LWW
which flasher did you buy?

to get to the front turn signal bulbs, you have to pull the headlights, then pull the turn signal housing.
the headlights are held in with (IIRC) 2 screws and the signal housings have another two screws.

you have to pull because they have the same clips as the rear turn signal/brake lenses.
it is actually very similar.

alternatively (on an f-250 at least) you can reach under the bumper and grab it if you are nimble with your fingers, but i cannot quite get to it that way.

Quick Reply: Turn signal relay location??