Sponsored by: Moser

No tranny dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
No tranny dipstick?

So I while doing an oil change on my dad's '10 F150 I went to check the tranny fluid. Only there's no way to do it! How are you supposed to check this? The manual says that it's only supposed to be done by a dealer. This simply isn't good enough! There has to be a way it can be done!

I remember on the 5R55s used on my '05 Mustang there was something like an internal dipstick accessible from under the car, is there something similar here?

Also, it's pretty clear to me that the transmission temperature "gauge" is nothing more than a glorified idiot light, similar to my '08 F250. Anyone know what temperature the tranny has to get to for the gauge to indicate that it's getting too hot?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Mikey D1016
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe that I read about it being under the truck on the side of the transmission. I do believe that you have to be careful when checking it because it is right near the exhaust system (and you are supposed to check the fluid when its at operating temp)

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM
johnwill
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
How are you supposed to check this? The manual says that it's only supposed to be done by a dealer. This simply isn't good enough!
So don't worry about it. You don't need a dipstick. Be glad for this time and work saving enhancement on many current vehicles.

It simply is good enough.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
why is he worried about it. its got a 100k mile warranty on the tranny. atleast mine does. and it doesnt need to be serviced until atleast 60k miles. dont worry about it.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
He's not worried about it. I am!

2 months ago, my 3-month-old '08 F250 had to go in the shop with 3,000 miles on it because of a transmission output shaft leak. I saw the fluid all over the transmission crossmember and was able to check the fluid and determine that I had enough to get me there. Without a dipstick I would have risked being stuck on the side of the road with no way to add fluid. Or I would have had to wait for a wrecker...neither of which I wanted to do.

My dad's previous Dodge had a very minor transmission leak that we never found. Had around 60,000 miles on it at the time. One day he asked me to look into why it kept stalling on him. Looked online and found out that it was common for a low transmission fluid condition to cause frequent stalling. Warmed up the truck, checked the fluid and found the cause. Would not have been possible without a dipstick!

I do NOT like going to a dealer to have maintenance done, as I don't like paying $80 an hour for labor when I can just as easily do it myself. Without a dipstick, they make it VERY difficult to do it myself!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
well if there happens to be a leak somewhere, the dealer should take care of it at no cost. and if you have roadside they will come to your rescue, i know i have had to use it. thats all covered under warranty

Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The time lost to sitting on the side of the road (not to mention the danger) while sitting and waiting on said road service is more than some people care to deal with. I don't know about ya'll but I have better things to do than sit on the side of the road for 2-3 hours.

-blaine

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Thing that would get me is after the warranty is up not being able to check the condition of the fliud.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just went out and checked my truck it is an '09 and has no tranny dip stick.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does have a dipstick, just not in the traditional sense. It's on the body of the transmission.
Transmission Fluid Level Check:

NOTE: Should only need to be done if transmission starts to slip, shifts slowly or shows signs of transmission fluid leaking.

NOTE: Transmission fluid temperature must be between 175 and 185 degrees F (80 and 85 degrees C) when checking fluid level. Vehicle must be level, preferably on a hoist. Vehicle needs to be running and in PARK while checking fluid level.

1. With engine running, place transmission selector in each gear position and hold each gear for approximately 5 seconds.

2. Remove transmission fluid fill plug located on the passenger side front portion of the transmission case.

3. Separate transmission fluid level indicator from transmission fluid fill plug.

4. Wipe transmission fluid level indicator clean. Reinstall only the transmission fluid level indicator back into the transmission fluid fill plug hole to check transmission fluid level.

NOTE: Transmission fluid level must be at the upper level of the crosshatch mark. Do not overfill transmission.

5. Reattach transmission fluid level indicator to transmission fluid fill plug. Reinstall transmission fluid fill plug assembly and torque to 26 lb-ft (35 Nm).

Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some how my post didn't get edited, It should have said it has no visible dip stick it is under the truck on the right hand side.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just another example of Ford valueing shareholders more than customers. Every little thing that Ford does to make things more difficult for their customers is one more little thing that they hope you go to the dealer for. And it probably saves the company $.25 or so per vehicle. It would be nice if the price of the vehicle would reflect the savings instead of escalating each year.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Hammerhead1550
Junior User
Originally Posted by johnwill
So don't worry about it. You don't need a dipstick. Be glad for this time and work saving enhancement on many current vehicles.

It simply is good enough.
Well I for one like to do preventive maintenance on my cars and trucks, and checking the level and color/condition of fluids ranks at the top. If you think not checking transmission fluid levels saves time then wow. How long does it take to pull a dipstick and check the readings, 5 seconds? As for the people saying don't worry about it the warranty covers it, yes it does and a free tow, but does that help you when you break down at nite and they tow your truck to a closed dealership that doesn't open till the moring? What if you are on a trip and this happens, are you going to sleep in the truck all nite till the dealer opens, when you could have added a quart of fluid and been on your way till you could get to your destination and then let them tow it and have it fixed.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Hammerhead1550
Junior User
I know Canton makes a dipstick kit for Mustangs that lets you add a dipstick to the transmission, hopefully they will make on for our trucks also. I was also wondering if the dipstick and tube from and expedition with the same engine and tranny combo would fit our trucks.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2 things that come to my mind....

1. Sounds like your dad never used the dipstick anyway if he let the dodge get to the point where it was stalling....

2. Its not a matter of ford not valuing customers....its a matter of vehicles progressing and owners refusing to. The tranny doesn't need to be touched for 100,000 miles..... its the same thing as sealed wheel bearings.....sure we can't repack them and check their condition...but do we really want to go back that route?

Quick Reply: No tranny dipstick?