1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Electric fuel pump relay location

Old 10-11-2009, 06:30 AM
docpec1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric fuel pump relay location

I have tried to find the electric fuel pump relay in my '87 E350 RV. The shop manual says it should be near the drivers side fender well area. My VIN code shows the the RV as an '87 cutaway E350.

Any ideas??? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Should be on the drivers inter fender:

/

Old 10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
docpec1
New User
Thumbs down Where is the fuel pump relay

I have looked all over the fron of the vehicle and can not locate the electric fuel pump relay. This is an E350 cutaway RV chassis. Could the relay be located somewhere other that the engine compartment???

Old 10-19-2009, 06:51 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Look near the oil filter and see if you have a fuel pump on the side of the engine block.
If you do you do not have a relay.
If you do not have the fuel pump on the side of the engine then there should be two relays for the fuel under the hood.
I would guess that your Ford E350 cutaway RV chassis is a 1986 and may have the engine pump. Most E350 cutaway RV chassis are one year older than the home title says. Check the VIN number as the number (letter) in the tenth position will tell you what year it is so you can get the right parts for it.
1987 should be an "H" and 1986 should be an "G".

Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM
docpec1
New User
The VIN shows a 1987 E350 cutaway. I do have a mechanical pump. Do you think the pump could be bad, of do you think that letting the vehicle sit causes the fuel to drain down??
I guess what you are saying is tht if I have a mechanical pump I don not have an electric pump in the tank. Is that correct??
Is it possible to put an in-line electic pump in the fuel line? I have a double fuel line (one fuel supply and one fuel return) that goes to the fuel pump on the engine.
What are your thoughts on adding an in-line pump??
Thanks for the help.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by docpec1
The VIN shows a 1987 E350 cutaway. I do have a mechanical pump. Do you think the pump could be bad, of do you think that letting the vehicle sit causes the fuel to drain down??
You have never said what your problem is with the RV.
Not sure what you mean by "drain down". If you are saying it takes a while to get the fuel up to the carburetor after it has sit for a while it is normal.

I guess what you are saying is tht if I have a mechanical pump I don not have an electric pump in the tank. Is that correct??
Yes this is correct.

Is it possible to put an in-line electic pump in the fuel line?
Yes I put one on my 1992 E350 RV.

I have a double fuel line (one fuel supply and one fuel return) that goes to the fuel pump on the engine.
That does not sound right, I have never heard of a mechanical pump set up that way. The mechanical pump should have a supply line from the fuel tank(s) and a pressure line going to the vapor separator and from the separator one line should return fuel to the tank(s) and one line to the carburetor.

What are your thoughts on adding an in-line pump??
You can put one on the frame between the tank selector valve and the mechanical pump. I would use a toggle switch to the pump so you can prime the carburetor before starting then you can turn it off after it starts.
I used a Carter Federal-Mogul Fuel pump and the number was M60318 or P74019.
I had the first number on the first one, it last about 2 years and the second number lasted about three years and was not working when I sold the RV. Yes I had a new filter before each pump.

Image of the hot gas vapor separator:

/

Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM
docpec1
New User
SUBFORD:
I do not have a mechanical fuel pump. I have a block off plate where the fuel pump should be. I still can not find the fuel pump relay UNLESS this wiring only uses the starter selonoid "I" terminal for power to the relay during starting. I am going to open the cabin hatch to see if I have an oil pressure switch (along with the oil pressure gauge unit). If I do, I will jumper it out and see if I can hear a relay or hear the pump running. If I can I will just put a pushbutton in that circuit an use it as a 'prime' switch.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
docpec1
New User
SUBFORD:
I guess I didn't answer the first question you asked me. It takes about 8 or 9, 15second start cycles to get the engine to fire after is has sat for a week. That seems a little excessive to me. Am I wrong??
I should have said in my first email "IF I have a mechanical fuel pump - ect.". Sorry about the typo.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
SUBFORD:
I do not have a mechanical fuel pump. I have a block off plate where the fuel pump should be. I still can not find the fuel pump relay UNLESS this wiring only uses the starter selonoid "I" terminal for power to the relay during starting. I am going to open the cabin hatch to see if I have an oil pressure switch (along with the oil pressure gauge unit). If I do, I will jumper it out and see if I can hear a relay or hear the pump running. If I can I will just put a pushbutton in that circuit an use it as a 'prime' switch.
If you have the plate then you will have the relays unless someone removed them.
Image of the oild pressure switch:

It should be wired like this but the color of the wires may be different:

/

Old 10-20-2009, 02:21 PM
docpec1
New User
SUBFORD:
Success at last. I jumpered the oil pressure switch and finally located the fuel pump relay which was cleverly concealed near the passenger side apron behind the battery. I am going to add a pushbutton across the oil pressure switch leads to prime the engine after long idle periods. Thanks for all your help in this matter.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
docpec1
New User
I would like to thank all of you who helped me solve my hard start problem. I have located the fuel pump relay and installed a pushbutton that allows me to 'prime' the carb. It works like a dream. Again, thanks to all.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
I would like to thank all of you who helped me solve my hard start problem. I have located the fuel pump relay and installed a pushbutton that allows me to 'prime' the carb. It works like a dream. Again, thanks to all.
Do you have a photo of the relays and their location to help out somebody else?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 PM
docpec1
New User
Almost impossible to take a pic of the relays as they are behind the battery and not enough light to get a decent picture. When I put the camper to rest for the season I will take a picture at that time as the battery won't be in the way.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Rod Bender
Freshman User
If someone can direct me on how to upgrade my membership so I can post pics, I can show you exactly where it is... I just had to replace mine, it is located on the passenger side next to the battery... Greg

Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Rod Bender
If someone can direct me on how to upgrade my membership so I can post pics, I can show you exactly where it is... I just had to replace mine, it is located on the passenger side next to the battery... Greg
To post a photo on here just uplad your photo to some place like photobucket and then in your post on here just copy the link into your post. The link you post should start with [IMG] & end with [/IMG].

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric fuel pump relay location