1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Plowing

Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Yeah, salt "shortage" was a bich. But our prices were exactly as stated, but due to the high volume of snow last winter, coupled with the economy, some flat out refused to pay.
I guess that's what collection agencies are for. I've never had a customer refuse to pay due to a heavy winter. Contracts are contracts, and they're enforceable by law. Hope you got rid of those customers quick, no one needs the stress of dealing with people like that, especially when you've already extended the resources to service them, it's not like you can un-spread the salt and un-plow the snow... What were they thinking...

Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardsr
I guess that's what collection agencies are for. I've never had a customer refuse to pay due to a heavy winter. Contracts are contracts, and they're enforceable by law. Hope you got rid of those customers quick, no one needs the stress of dealing with people like that, especially when you've already extended the resources to service them, it's not like you can un-spread the salt and un-plow the snow... What were they thinking...
Yup. Needless to say, it got somewhat ugly.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
with all that's been said regarding plowing, I really appreciate all your guys' input regardless that my truck is too nice or too long.
I went looking in the paper and the web for a "plow truck" only to find out that it might be too late in the season to land a good deal. It seems folks are gearing up for the season already and the "deal" in an ad was sold right away.
I highly regard your advice and real world experiences, they're real entertaining. I can visualize every bit of it.

The issue of salt (to me) would be the fact that once you spread it, you're going to be backing up over it in the slush over and again so it seems that the salt you just spread would be picked up by your own vehicle just because there is so much back and forth driving while plowing a parking lot for instance.

Again guys thanks for your experiences!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 AM
zman300
Junior User
Been plowing for about 20 years.
Started with a 86 F150 short box, that was a great truck for maneuvering in tight spots. But it was a stick got tired of pushing the clutch.

Then a 95 Dodge V10 auto, good truck but not as easy to maneuver and 8mpg.

Now my 06 F250, we'll see how it works this winter.

I only do my business, my house, parents and a couple friends.

I do have a 95 Dodge for sale with a Western Pro Plow on it.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
with all that's been said regarding plowing, I really appreciate all your guys' input regardless that my truck is too nice or too long.
I went looking in the paper and the web for a "plow truck" only to find out that it might be too late in the season to land a good deal. It seems folks are gearing up for the season already and the "deal" in an ad was sold right away.
I highly regard your advice and real world experiences, they're real entertaining. I can visualize every bit of it.

The issue of salt (to me) would be the fact that once you spread it, you're going to be backing up over it in the slush over and again so it seems that the salt you just spread would be picked up by your own vehicle just because there is so much back and forth driving while plowing a parking lot for instance.

Good deals on plow trucks can be found in April, not October, LOL. Anytime I have plow parts, used plows, etc to sell, I sit on the stuff until October and then sell it, because it brings so much more money. Kinda like lawn mowers, you could find good deals now that mowing season is about done...

Salt doesn't dissolve that quickly, unless it's 31 degrees out. Typically you don't see much for results right away, it takes a little time. And you're typically not driving over where you just spread again, you spread the lot and move on to the next one. Additionally, we don't dump nearly the amount of salt on parking lots as the cities, counties, and DOT dump on the roads. Again, with the proper deflector on the salt spreader, the effect of salt on your truck from spreading is minimal.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
bill64
Senior User
Originally Posted by jake00
Completely agreed, We have a 98 dodge ram "plow truck"

Its just about completely used up. in the last couple years, we replaced most of the front end

...and we just use the truck to plow our 2 locations,and a few employee's houses
i was driving a 94' f250 until last fall when i bought my 08 superduty but kept the old 94' to be used as a plow truck , last june i found a fisher mm1
for 500$. its up and running now just needs a few finishing touches but only plan on doing my drive way and familys, maybe a neighbor or two.
i plan on registering it just for winter, help save the new super duty from
the salty slush!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Benchwrench

Well, you usually always salt AFTER the lot is completely free and clear. But yeah, I never mind sharing advice because in the end, all companies just wind up better for it.