What do you guys use for Reactor pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What do you guys use for Reactor pumps?

The pump the I use is a Clearwater that I got off Ebay for $19.99. I have a questions related to the pump.

For methanol recovery, I heat up the processor to about 175 and let it run a few hours until the drip rate slows. Usually end up recovering about a gallon off of the bio. (35 gallon batches). The bio still smells fairly strong of methanol, so I need to get more out. (and use less Magnesol) However, if I heat beyond 175, the pump starts to drip. I think the seals can't handle it. I've run about a dozen batches so far.

I've read that I should be heating to 90C, or around 200 degrees. I heard Harbor Freight pumps are recommended, would it handle the heat better?

thanks,
Trent

Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry Trent, can't help ya much on this question. I use mechanical mixing, and use an air powered chemical pump for everything else.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Hi Don,

How hot do you run your distillation? Just trying to get as much out as I can. thanks again

Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm using an experimental system I'm developing that requires far less heat, but when I was heating it I started getting Methanol about 160-170, but it really started flowing above 180-190.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

thanks, that's what I thought - need to crank her up a little bit...

Constant process reactor????

Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote=Rushmore X;7995573]The pump the I use is a Clearwater that I got off Ebay for $19.99. I have a questions related to the pump.

For methanol recovery, I heat up the processor to about 175 and let it run a few hours until the drip rate slows. Usually end up recovering about a gallon off of the bio. (35 gallon batches). The bio still smells fairly strong of methanol, so I need to get more out. (and use less Magnesol) However, if I heat beyond 175, the pump starts to drip. I think the seals can't handle it. I've run about a dozen batches so far.

I've read that I should be heating to 90C, or around 200 degrees. I heard Harbor Freight pumps are recommended, would it handle the heat better?

thanks,

I've been running the cheap HF blue pump for the past year and a half, and it's still running strong. Each batch is heated to 140f, and it usually runs for 2-4 hours total.

Not sure you would have much better luck with these. While mine doesn't drip, it does weep enough to have to wipe around the pump.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by binuya
I've been running the cheap HF blue pump for the past year and a half, and it's still running strong. Each batch is heated to 140f, and it usually runs for 2-4 hours total.

Not sure you would have much better luck with these. While mine doesn't drip, it does weep enough to have to wipe around the pump.
Do you distill methanol off your bio?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
Do you distill methanol off your bio?
No, I don't. I'm not yet convinced I want to go that route. I get decent wvo, and with glycerin pre treat, I go 18%-19% methanol single stage. For me it's about whether or not the added equipment and time is worthwhile.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 PM
24Seven
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
The pump the I use is a Clearwater that I got off Ebay for $19.99. I have a questions related to the pump.

thanks,
Trent
I have several pumps, one 2 horse electric centrifugal diesel fuel pump rated at 100 gallons per minute, one 6hp gasoline powered self priming trash pump, an air driven barrel pump (works through the 2" bung, aprox 40 bucks on sale at harbor frieght) and a 1 hp jet pump out of a used restaurant bar dish washing machine. I never pump glycerin untill it cools to around 90 to 100 deg F if it gets totally cold its so thick it very hard to pump. I have all my pumps set up for cam lock hoses so i can use the pumps for many purposes. For hot glycerine i use the 2hp electric diesel fuel transfer pump with the centrifugal head on it