6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

code p200e

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
code p200e

just wonering if knows about a code (p200e)that showed up on my bosses truck. the truck is a 2008 f259.my boss was towing his enclosed car trailer. its a 24" featherlight w/ the car it weighs 6500lbs. coming ome from the track he was going up a steap grade. the trucks instrument cluser said stop the truck. the dealer did not do any work on it. they told him that the dpf needed to cool down. he has 31" x 12.5" tires w/ stock gear. he also has a banks back half exhaust. the dealer said 1200 degrees is the breaking point. is their anything he can do too prevent another break down?
thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
spinella
Postmaster
anyone? i'm unfamiliar w/ the diesel partical filter, so i could'nt give my boss any ideas on what he can do. the dealer blamed the outside high ambient temp. and the steap upgrade he was climbing for the DPF failure. hes upset because he upgraded from a expedition to go racing at watkins glen race track and he doesnt want to go through this again. any help would be appreciated and it might even score me some points with my boss. thanks.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
1200 deg is not the breaking point. I pull more wt than that going up steeper grades and have no issues.

Truck is designed for that. There has to be a sensor or something out of sync. How is the coolant/degas bottle. Is it full when the motor is cold? Secondly does he hear the clutch fan kick in? Sound like an airplane?

Might even be a thermostat issue.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
spinella
Postmaster
i'll check tommorrow night when i go in to work. the dealer had his truck for a week and they came back with nothing. he said on the trucks dash it said something like " stop truck now" then the truck eventually shut down. i'll also grab the print out from the dealer and i'll post what they came up with. thanks for the reply.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM
jboczar
Senior User
That codes means the exhaust got too hot, here are a list of possible causes, most likely a bad egt sensor, I have replaced several already for failures.

Possible Causes
Diesel particulate filter regeneration occurred during heavy load and high ambient temperature conditions
Excessive amount of soot or ash in the diesel particulate filter
Damaged EGT12 sensor
Damaged EGT13 sensor
Coolant contamination of the exhaust system
Oil contamination of the exhaust system

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by spinella
i'll check tommorrow night when i go in to work. the dealer had his truck for a week and they came back with nothing. he said on the trucks dash it said something like " stop truck now" then the truck eventually shut down. i'll also grab the print out from the dealer and i'll post what they came up with. thanks for the reply.
So we know the truck went into fail safe mode. Which it should of.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 PM
spinella
Postmaster
i found out tonight that my boss left for nebraska, i'm not sure for how long but when he returns i'll get that info from him and i'll post it. thanks again.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Big Angry Hillbilly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably needs an EGT sensor

This eventually will put "PULL OVER SAFELY" on the instrument cluster, and force you to shut the truck off, and it will not restart for 60 minutes.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:09 PM
spinella
Postmaster
would a bad EGT sensor throw a code?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
spinella
Postmaster
well my boss returned from his trip. he said everything on the list above checked out good. the only thing we need to check is his clutch fan. the truck never did run hot during normal driving. he mentioned to me that he heard of a bigger intercooler set up from banks. anyone know anything about it? they claim 300 degree reduction in egt's. thanks.
also he says it regen's about every 400 miles.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 AM
senix
Super Moderator
well my boss returned from his trip. he said everything on the list above checked out good. the only thing we need to check is his clutch fan. the truck never did run hot during normal driving. he mentioned to me that he heard of a bigger intercooler set up from banks. anyone know anything about it? they claim 300 degree reduction in egt's. thanks.
also he says it regen's about every 400 miles.
Bankspower.com. It is called banks tecnicooler. They claim bigger so cooler air=denser so increased hp and cooler egt's going into the turbo.

Don't know anyone that is running it though.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:30 AM
spinella
Postmaster
yes, thats what he was talking about. i'll have to try to find someone who is using it. thanks.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Banks IQ

yes, thats what he was talking about. i'll have to try to find someone who is using it. thanks.
He might like this too...not on the web yet :Introducing the Banks iQ Dashboard PC display system - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

Old 09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
He should NOT have to buy an aftermarket CAC to get his truck to run right!

Something isn't right here. And it's NOT the CAC!!!

Have the dealer fix it!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
spinella
Postmaster
tom i agree with you, but the dealer had his truck for a week and they found nothing. they blamed the poor performance on outside ambient temp. and a steep incline that he was climbing while towing. personally i think its b.s. he was only towing 6000-6500lbs. certainly not overworking his truck. they even had his fuel tested to make sure he was using the proper diesel. hes lost a little confiedence in his new truck.

Quick Reply: code p200e