1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How do I disable speaker for door ajar alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Florida F250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I disable speaker for door ajar alarm?

Hey all,

I just purchased a 2000 F-250 (extended cab, extended bed); it's my first powerstroke as I owned an IDI prior to its purchase.

- How do I disable the speaker for the door ajar/seat belt/low fuel alarm? IT HAS TO GO!

- Also as a new powerstroke owner, are there any spare parts/sensors, etc. that I should keep handy, just in case? (ie. I always kept a spare glow plug relay in the IDI F250)

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

Florida F250

Old 09-20-2009, 07:33 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
No idea about the door ajar thing, but keep a spare CPS in the glove box with a 10mm socket as well.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The owners manual will tell you how to disable the seat belt alarm and auto door lock. Never heard an alarm for low fuel or door ajar, just the idiot light.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
If you are referring to the dinger for the key in the ignition, there are a couple ways to disable that. Some remove the wire from the ignition switch which allows reconnecting the wire when you sell the truck.

Many cut the black or dark gray wire with a pink tracer that is located on the steering column. I removed the lower dash cover, found the wire, cut it and taped off the ends.

There are many threads about this mod that give much more detailed instructions than these. Others will give more advice to do this.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Good job on the link, Jason. I gotta rep ya this way.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb New Approach to old problem

To "totally" disable the the alarm/dinger, you have to access the speaker behind the instrument gauge cluster. Remove the instrument guage cluster and you will find a small round speaker with a hole in its center. It is attached directly to the back of the cluster. You can verify its location, while the cluster is still plugged in, by activating the alarm with key in, door open, etc. I put a screw in the hole of the speaker to wedge it and keep it from vibrating. It still had a barely audible sound, but can't be heard with the dash back together. I did this on my friend's '00, '03, '05, & '08 trucks. It wis disable the alarm, at the source, for "all" purposes. This is the way I have found to do it "completely", takes less than 10 minutes to accomplish, and is reversible.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
jcrammell
Senior User

I still have the chime. I followed Kwikordeads thread about disconnecting the black and pink wire. Was very easy but my door open chime still dings when the key is in the accesory position. Does anyone have a solution for this problem yet? Would really like to know how to take care of this problem.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I remember right, there is a connector under the drivers seat, accessable from the rear. If you unplug it you will disable the gong. I work out of my truck and I enjoy the radio when I am working. The gong drove me crazy.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jcrammell
I still have the chime. I followed Kwikordeads thread about disconnecting the black and pink wire. Was very easy but my door open chime still dings when the key is in the accesory position. Does anyone have a solution for this problem yet? Would really like to know how to take care of this problem.
That's the other thing that disconnecting the wires for the seatbealt, key switch, and owner's manual procedures won't cure. I researched this a few years back and found if you disconnected the the trigger wire, to the GEM, from the door switch you could eliminate the alarm, but this would also eliminate the interior light functions, too. There is no easy solution, other than killing the alarm itself or putting a switch in this wire.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM
rocknocker
Freshman User
If you pull the lower steering column cover, removed the key cylinder, and then removed the wire on the cylinder, it will dissable the door ajar chime, however it will still chime for lights left on and also for a few seconds when the ignition switch is first turned on. I have done this on two trucks. It is a clip with a metal contact for the key with a purple wire with black trace I think.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 PM
jcrammell
Senior User

Originally Posted by rocknocker
If you pull the lower steering column cover, removed the key cylinder, and then removed the wire on the cylinder, it will dissable the door ajar chime, however it will still chime for lights left on and also for a few seconds when the ignition switch is first turned on. I have done this on two trucks. It is a clip with a metal contact for the key with a purple wire with black trace I think.
Did this but it still dings at you when the key is in the accesory position. Any ideas on that?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mueckster
To "totally" disable the the alarm/dinger, you have to access the speaker behind the instrument gauge cluster. Remove the instrument guage cluster and you will find a small round speaker with a hole in its center. It is attached directly to the back of the cluster. You can verify its location, while the cluster is still plugged in, by activating the alarm with key in, door open, etc. I put a screw in the hole of the speaker to wedge it and keep it from vibrating. It still had a barely audible sound, but can't be heard with the dash back together. I did this on my friend's '00, '03, '05, & '08 trucks. It wis disable the alarm, at the source, for "all" purposes. This is the way I have found to do it "completely", takes less than 10 minutes to accomplish, and is reversible.
I made a mistake in my earlier post. I did this on an '05 and '08. They have the chime on the back of the instrument cluster. I'm not sure if I did this to the '03 (instrument cluster is slightly different w/ a 6.0). My '01 has the chime in the GEM module. Sorry for any confusion. It was a while back and I have occasional CRS.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mueckster
I made a mistake in my earlier post. Sorry for any confusion. It was a while back and I have occasional CRS.
Shame shame. We have no idea how many folks have taken the cluster off and screwed themselves....I mean put a screw somewhere. Oh the humanity.

Edit, but seriously, Jim can you edit that out so nobody attempts it?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Shame shame. We have no idea how many folks have taken the cluster off and screwed themselves....I mean put a screw somewhere. Oh the humanity.

Edit, but seriously, Jim can you edit that out so nobody attempts it?
Thanks for making me feel even worse.
If it makes you feel better, I took my cluster out tonight to take some pictures and realized my mistake. I did, however, polish my lens while it was out. SSSOOO, it wasn't all for naught.

Quick Reply: How do I disable speaker for door ajar alarm?