Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To reset computer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM
myoung61
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To reset computer?

Hello, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 95 F150 4x4 with a 5.8 in which the previous owner installed a hypertech chip in it. I've been having problems with the truck cutting out and running rough at low rpm's so I put a tune up on it plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil and that didn't fix it so i took it to the local shop and he told me his computer couldn't read the trucks. He said it was because of the chip. So how do i reset the computer so he could read the codes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Greedy River
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhook the battery for a few minutes and it will reset,as far as I know.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 PM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
Disconnect the negative ground on the battery for up to 15 minutes. Then reconnect the cable and it will clear the computer. Have you taken the hyper chip off the computer yet to see if this will correct the issues?

Also, Fordfuelinjection.com will discribe the paper-clip method for reading your year of truck computer, it should be OBD-I with the connector on the left hand side of the engine bay over the fender well.

From what I have read on this site, the chips did nothing more than fool the computer by giving the computer a lower temperature reading from the ECT. In turn the computer believed it was still in warm up mode, thus putting more gasoline to the engine for it to burn richer. If you want to tune the motor for more available power, a better than stock exhaust is a better start than a chip.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 PM
cravej
Freshman User
Originally Posted by myoung61
Hello, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 95 F150 4x4 with a 5.8 in which the previous owner installed a hypertech chip in it. I've been having problems with the truck cutting out and running rough at low rpm's so I put a tune up on it plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil and that didn't fix it so i took it to the local shop and he told me his computer couldn't read the trucks. He said it was because of the chip. So how do i reset the computer so he could read the codes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You don't need a computer to read the codes on our OBDI trucks. There is an article here (http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13) on how to read them, or you can find an OBDI scanner.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I bet if you pull the computer out and remove that hypertech chip, the computer would then operate on its own programing like it was never there.

The computer may or may not be in the stock location depending on the size of that chip?
From what I've seen those type of chips simply plug into the external port where they flashed the computers memory with its programing.

You could also check out hypertech's web site and search for instructions for removing the chip.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
myoung61
New User
The chip has been removed, and I unhooked the negative off the battery for about 30-45 minutes, then i ran back up to his shop and it still wasn't able to read the codes. I haven't tried to read the codes my self yet or tried the company's website either. Are there any other ways to reset the computer then unhooking the battery cause that didn't seem to work?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 PM
myoung61
New User
Just checked the hypertech website they said that unhooking the battery will not change the settings back to stock. So will i have to take the truck to a dealer and get the computer flashed and set back to oem?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
Follow Fordfuelinjection.com's instructions very specifically so you cross the right wires in the right harnesses so you can pull your codes. If you absolutely can not read the codes then there are other issues either wiring or computer related to cause you to not read the codes.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Just checked the hypertech website they said that unhooking the battery will not change the settings back to stock.

No I'm not surprised by that at all, as long as the chip is connected its programing is going to effect the stock computers programing.

You really need to look at the computer itself, it is probably a chip plugged into the back of it. I'd be kinda surprised if its not. However it may just install in-line style with the computers main harness connector, say "unplug harness, plug chip into computer connector, plug harness into chip"? Reverse to remove?

Either way simply removing it (however its interfaced) will/should remove its programing at the same time allowing the computer to operate as stock, but you will have to look. If noting else get us the part number off it.

If its not external then yea you need to have it flashed by ford, myself I'd just pick up one from the bone yard for your model for 50 bucks and keep that one as is.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
myoung61
New User
Originally Posted by danr1
Just checked the hypertech website they said that unhooking the battery will not change the settings back to stock.

No I'm not surprised by that at all, as long as the chip is connected its programing is going to effect the stock computers programing.

You really need to look at the computer itself, it is probably a chip plugged into the back of it. I'd be kinda surprised if its not. However it may just install in-line style with the computers main harness connector, say "unplug harness, plug chip into computer connector, plug harness into chip"? Reverse to remove?

Either way simply removing it (however its interfaced) will/should remove its programing at the same time allowing the computer to operate as stock, but you will have to look. If noting else get us the part number off it.

If its not external then yea you need to have it flashed by ford, myself I'd just pick up one from the bone yard for your model for 50 bucks and keep that one as is.
The chip has been removed it was plugged in behind the ebrake. The part number off the chip is 450161. The site said even with the chip removed unhooking the battery wouldn't reset the computer. Would replacing it be cheaper then getting it flashed by Ford?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Read the first section: What to do before taking your vehicle in for service

Manual for your part number chip > http://www.hypertech-inc.com/media/m...04c9njyqrx.pdf

Clearly states, more then once even, that simply removing the chip restores the factory programing.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 960 Likes on 760 Posts
There is no flashable memory inside the EEC-4 computer, this is why modifications have to be done using an external module or chip, this chip simply disables the on-board permanent memory and substitutes modified values.

Resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery wipes out all codes and learned adjustments the computer has built up over time, so reading the codes after doing this is pointless since there will be nothing to read. However the computer should still communicate with a scanner or code reader, if it doesn't it's either not connected properly or the vehicle has issues.. faulty wiring or EEC computer. The basic selftest should flash codes on the check engine light, this will at least demonstrate that the computer isn't totally fried. The vehicle may need several drive cycles after a reset to flag problem, though some more serious issues will show up immediately in constant memory.

The selftest is simple, put a jumper between the STI and Sig-Rtn lines in the EEC test harness and turn the key to run, the codes will flash on the CE light assuming the bulb isn't burned out and the computer is healthy. See www.fordfuelinjection.com for pics and details.