Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

93 Lightning Mass Air Conversion Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Birddog1220
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Lightning Mass Air Conversion Ideas?

Hi everyone, long time ford owner here, but new to this forum. There seems to be a wealth of information here...hopefully you guys and gals will have some ideas for me.

The background:
93 lightning
3:80 gears
30lb injectors
shaved and ported heads
.475 lift cam (260 duration)
cobra forged pistons
true dual exhaust with no converters
E4OD
no mass air....

so aside from the $800 ford racing conversion kit, I was told that I can use a 95 bronco or f150 computer, as it will support the E4OD tranny. Where I need some help is with the wiring. What exactly do I have to steal from the donor truck as far as the harness goes? I feel im getting in a little over my head here.. I know I cant use the mustang computer because it has no trans controller....will the 95 bronco or f150 computer plug right in? would I have to use a mass air sensor from a 95 bronco or f150 as well? Sorry to sound so needy...Just hoping someone who has done this before can point me in the right direction?

Also I have heard of a product called a tweeter. Plug and play with your laptop to adjust air fuel ratio....but it doesnt make it sequential injection, the injectors are still bank fired with this product yes? Am I better off with the mass air conversion or the tweeter module?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
monkei
More Turbo
You can use CA emissions 5.8/e40d Bronco/f series ECUs to run mass air on a 351w, though you have a different cam profile than the roller cam that came in MAF trucks, so I'm not sure how that'll play out (probably not too well if that cam is too aggressive, or if the cam timing is drastically different than the roller cam). You might wanna find a roller block 351w to start with (throw the worked gt40 irons on that).

The Bronco/fseries engine and trans harness will need to be modified to accommodate the difference in sensor/throttle placement (pass side) between broncos/f series and first gen Ls(drivers side). You'll also need to add another HEGO. Then there's the different EGR types (EVP sensor, DPFE sensor) and 2 vs. 4wabs/PSOM wiring differences.... The BIO0 broncos had dpfe and 4wabs whereas *I think* the RAN2 f250s had normal EGR/EVP (not sure about 2 vs 4wabs)

With those bigass injectors and no CATs your computer will need tuning to run properly in all conditions.

The tuning deivce you're talking about is Tweecer, and as of yet the support for the ECUs youre referring to (I.E. RAN2, BIO0) isn't the best. It's not as 'plug and play' as some might suggest; 'Tweecing' is not for the faint of heart, plus its a decent investment just on tuning/instrumentation tools. Then you get to try and decipher strategies, definitions, scalars, functions, and tables before you even try to tune for a radical/high hp combo.

I'm going the halfassed way for now; gonna rewire my 1992 bronco harness using pieces from a MAF harness (insert injector and MAF wires, and swap a few wires on the 92 harness) to run with either the RAN2 or BIO0 ECU. I will have to modify the harness for passenger side TB placement. I'm gonna start with 19# injectors, an adjustable FMU and a wideband and do what I can to keep the setup from leaning out with forced induction.

I have all kinda aftermarket pieces ready for when I do have the ***** to start 'tweecing', big MAF, 30# injectors, Giant TB, etc. but I'm not anywhere near that yet.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Birddog1220
New User
Thanks for the info!
I was mistaken on the injectors i am running 26lb injectors I have no idea where i got 30 from...also has 1.72 scorpion roller rockers. Cam is not very aggressive and it is a roller setup like what came from the factory. Most of the work was done in the heads.

So your saying the tweecer is not a simple solution, rather something of an art to properly tune the computer?

I am not very experienced with advanced fuel injection systems and the "junkyard" conversion looks to be a big headache. I saw a new ford racing mass air kit go on ebay for pretty cheap....I think im gonna hold out and take the simple route.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out pro m racing they have everthing you need & you can get some good ideas , you will need a mass air meter set to your injectors , a custom dyno tuned computer chip is a good option if you don't want to fool with the tweecer . A in dash fuel press gauge is allways good to have & a wideband air fuel ratio gauge if you tune it yourself ...Lew

Old 08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
monkei
More Turbo
Tweecer is just a bit advanced for most of your average DIY types. Steep learning curve.

26 lb/hr?? Never heard of that size, do you know what fuel pressure that number is at? Are they blue top? If so, they're 24lb/hr injectors. The 30lb/hr 's I have, have a black top.

I have heard conflicting opinions on the effectiveness of running a MAF 'calibrated' to a specific injector size. Without actually going into the EEC program and changing the injector scalars, I think all your doing is fooling the EEC. I don't know how well this method works in all conditions (idle, tip-in, part throttle, WOT, high vs low engine load, etc.) or with non-mustang truck EECs.

I have a 76mm C&L meter with the swappable 'calibration tubes', one tube for 19's and 24's but I'm not sure if I trust it enough to run 24s with the 'calibrated' meter and no additional EEC tuning.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Birddog1220
New User
Yes they are blue top so 24's lol I gotta write that down.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Birddog1220
New User
The farther into this I get the more confused I am....Im a nuts and bolts kinda guy I just dont understand complex electronics...thank you all for the information at least im headed in the right direction now.....and you have shown me that I have a lot more research to do before I jump into this head first.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
The junkyard MAF conversion is by far the cheapest but it involves some wiring harness surgery which may scare some but it's not that bad. You need the wires for the MAF meter and the injectors for this because all MAF computers are sequential so the existing wires need to be removed to make room for the sequential harness and the pins for these extra wires are missing from the SD engine harness EEC connector. However the connector comes apart so inserting wires with pins attached is no problem.
A non-stock meter with a sample tube for larger injectors will work reasonably well for performance applications but it will never pass emissions tests, if you don't have that to deal with then it's the way to go but first determine if you actually need larger injectors, the 19's will supply 300hp or so.

I have a Tweecer and a wideband O2 sensor and have been playing with 24lb injectors recently. Getting them to work as well as 19's isn't trivial and takes a pretty good understanding of how the EEC computer operates, it's certainly not a simple plug and play operation.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Birddog1220
New User
Do I need the wideband sensor with a non supercharged/turbo setup?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Not unless you're going to try tuning the engine yourself.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Birddog1220
New User
Well, seeing as I don't know jack about tuning a motor with computers and advanced stuff of that sort....I'm going to look for a donor truck for the wires and MAF sensor. Also found out that fords conversion kit does not make the truck SEFI. Now that I understand what has to be done to run the '95 BIO0 ECU, It seems the best route. Thanks again everyone for the advice and ideas!!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Birddog1220
Also found out that fords conversion kit does not make the truck SEFI.
Yes it does, all Ford mass air computers are SEFI so it has to, the bulk of the wiring harness on the Ford kit is for the injectors alone. The version I have was designed for the early truck 5.0 with the old firing order and I had to swap some wires around to run the HO firing order since I was puting it on a 5.8.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Birddog1220
New User
Thank you for correcting me, I got some bad information.
So when I find a truck to get parts from I need the wires going from the mass air sensor to the ecu, and all the wires going from the injectors to the ecu correct? I assume that it doesn't matter if the donor truck has a 302 or a 351 or the E4OD tranny, as long as I get an ECU programmed for the 351 and E4OD?

I gotta do some homework and study the wiring diagrams

Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Actually is doesn't matter which engine it's for either.. a mass air 5.0 computer will run a 5.8, and that's good because there were a lot more 5.0 trucks.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:56 PM
L11
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to pin and what to splice

So I thought I’d bring this back from the dead considering the search function isn’t playing nice and I can’t seem to after months of searching, wrap my feeble mind around mass air swapping the rig. So here’s my back story.

-94 lightning came in many many pieces (c3p3 pcm)
-95 bronco in one piece (way1 pcm)

I researched and researched and I saw a few people say "rep in the harness", and a lot of other people saying just throw it all in, well I went the easier route and installed the pcm, motor harness, and engine bay harness out of the bronco into the lightning, now with that being done. **** hit the fan. Step on the brakes and the dash light comes on. Flip on the headlights and the coil fires. I didn’t even bother trying to turn it over. So now I know I have to pin in all the mass air stuff with the speed density harness coupled with the way1 pcm and leave the engine harness on the engine. My question is, does anyone have a link to how it’s done, or a really solid explanation of how to do it. I’m almost at the point of putting the speed density back in for the winter... thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 93 Lightning Mass Air Conversion Ideas?