Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

How to fix windshield wiper

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How to fix windshield wiper

2000 Explorer Sport 4wd 4.0 V6

My girlfriends windshield wiper on the passenger side stopped working. I don't have a Chilton or Haines manual for her vehicle so can anyone tell me how to fix this?

I am assuming the linkage broke as the driver side still works.

What is the easiest way to get at this I looked up under her dash and it doesn't look like i can get to it with out ripping a bunch of stuff out?

On a different but related issue her wipers before and after the passenger side one broke would some times not work they would stop and start and not come on at all. Is the fix for this to replace the turn signal, high/low, wiper arm assembly on the steering column?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Will the flasher, h/l beam, wiper control out of a 96 Bronco work in a 2000 Explorer sport they look the same from the outside. I have one out of my old Bronco from when I replaced the steering column.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The arm's not stripped out right? Does the post turn at all?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Arm does not move. post is not stripped out when you move the arm by hand you can hear the linkage flopping around under the dash. Just wondering how much of the dash I need to rip out to get to the linkage.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagion
Arm does not move. post is not stripped out when you move the arm by hand you can hear the linkage flopping around under the dash. Just wondering how much of the dash I need to rip out to get to the linkage.
Ok, I haven't fixed an issue like that in that truck,maybe one of the other guys that has can chime in for you.

T

Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
rrgone
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the linkages and motor are just underneath the cowling - no need to go under the dash. It's been many years since I worked on one though so could be off here. Remove the wiper arms and hubs from the posts. Look carefully at the cowling - it is usually 2 pieces. One piece has to come up first as it will overlap the other in the middle. Some Fords have a small screw in the piece that has to come off first. Then they are held with clips you can pry up. Let us know if that works and what you find out.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

I'll double check that I looked down in there and it looked like the post went through the firewall into the interior. I'll pull it in garage tonight and pull off the cowling and take a look.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

As always thanks for the help everyone!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM
ukexplorer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The linkages are under the cowl at the back of the hood. Centre screw, then lift the cowls carefully off the spring clips. Careful of the washer jet hose conections, they break easily. You'll now see the linkages. The ends which attach to the wiper arms are a ball and nylon socket. If you can get the socket, replace it. If not, you'll have to buy a lew link. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

So i looked down in there and yeah this is where they are. How do you get the wiper arm off? The new link I bought has splines on it do you need some type of puller? The one's on my 96 Bronco had a little tab you pressed and they poped right off. Don't see that here. Aghhh guess if I have been working on her truck for a year now its time to make the big commitment ... and buy the haines or chilton manual for it

Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
The motor is on the driver side with a linkage arm that connects to a ball and socket on the passenger side.

The nylon socket wears and the ball pops out, I fixed mine yrs ago by gently squeezing the end of the arm that the nylon socket fits in. Has never come apart again, even when it has been frozen to the windshield in the cold, north of the 49th.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagion
So i looked down in there and yeah this is where they are. How do you get the wiper arm off? The new link I bought has splines on it do you need some type of puller? The one's on my 96 Bronco had a little tab you pressed and they poped right off. Don't see that here. Aghhh guess if I have been working on her truck for a year now its time to make the big commitment ... and buy the haines or chilton manual for it
There should be a small tab connected to a lever on the wiper base, the arm pulls off the splined shaft.

there should be plastic covers that screw onto the shaft body, careful they get brittle and crack.
The cowling is 2 piece and is secured by 4 screws if I recall then snaps off a couple of tabs.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Thanks

OK I replaced the passenger side linkage last night. $30 for the part here from the dealer. On the 2000 Sport there is one Philips screw in the middle. Once you take it out the drivers side cowling pops up and then the passenger side does.

To get the wiper arms off you have to bend them up until the lock in the straight out position then the little lever on the bottom will pull out to the side and you can pull the arms off. I put some grease on them when reattaching becasue they where a little hard to get off.

I didn't disconnect the spray hoses I just flipped the cowling forward onto the hood.

There is a large plastic nut that attaches the pivot to the sheet metal remove it and the linkage assembly slides out the back.

insert the new one be careful there is a up and down side to it.

then attach the linkage to the wiper motor arm. this was the hardest part of the whole thing getting that stupid clip on the end I put the clip on a screw driver then slid it part way on then pulled the screw driver out and pushed and pried to get it the rest of the way on.

Replaced the plastic and screw and it was good to go...

My girlfriend called this morning and ask why the antenna was laying on the front seat...opps... I took it off becasue it was in my way and easy to remove forgot to replace it.

Sorry no pics my camera charger is MIA and the battery was dead

Old 01-27-2020, 06:35 AM
Janá Nicole Bond
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need helping finding a part

So I have an 01 Expedition and and all the parts for the wiper area are missing...I can find the cowl, wiperarms, and motor with no problem. My question is where can I get the sheet metal that the motor goes on? I'm doing all these repairs on the truck myself and I just need some help trying to find this one specific part. Please help me.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:27 PM
dremtofford
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
i had a problem with the wiper on my 91 and the only way to get to the linkage is two plates on the firewall and two big nuts under the wiper arm. all this to take the wiper motor off because it had loosed up. now to fix the rear wiper.