Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Looked at one

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looked at one

I went to the Ford dealer near work, Pacific Ford in Long Beach. First, dont go there. Its an old fashioned high-pressure style place. Oh, and $1,995 added dealer markup on the window sticker!

Now for the Transit Connect. It is a very attractive package for someone who likes simple and clever design. For those Americans who expect every vehicle to have a killer stereo and power everything, they will be very disappointed. It is "basic" in a way that I havent seen in a while. Crank windows, 2 speaker AM-FM radio, manual mirrors, seats, locks and black rubber floors. At least manual A/C is standard.

Now the bad news. Its made in Turkey, from 85% non-US/Canada parts! And, the sticker price is over $20k! Compare price and content with a base model Mustang for what is essentially a Focus delivery van and the value just isnt there.

Jim

Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jim, I bet the xlt model is over 25 thousand otd, for that kind of money i'll buy something made in the USA! I'm glad i bought the 61 econoline now.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'61 Econoline? That was basic. I had a '66 Dodge A-100, same idea from the same era. It didnt even have curved glass, a two piece windshield. At least Dodge had an optional 273ci V-8 (but with solid lifters and no spin-on oil filter) and the bulletproof 727 Torqueflite. I think Ford only offered a six. Both had solid axles and leaf springs up front.

Jim

Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
I went to the Ford dealer near work, Pacific Ford in Long Beach. First, dont go there. Its an old fashioned high-pressure style place. Oh, and $1,995 added dealer markup on the window sticker!

Now for the Transit Connect. It is a very attractive package for someone who likes simple and clever design. For those Americans who expect every vehicle to have a killer stereo and power everything, they will be very disappointed. It is "basic" in a way that I havent seen in a while. Crank windows, 2 speaker AM-FM radio, manual mirrors, seats, locks and black rubber floors. At least manual A/C is standard.

Now the bad news. Its made in Turkey, from 85% non-US/Canada parts! And, the sticker price is over $20k! Compare price and content with a base model Mustang for what is essentially a Focus delivery van and the value just isnt there.

Jim
I believe the XLT adds the power windows and locks, CD player, along with cruise and a bunch of other stuff I'd want, for $1200 or so more. Not a lot more money. Have you looked at the sticker price of a loaded Focus lately? They're a hair under $20 grand as well.

When the market settles down, prices will be where they should be. I would never pay a dealer markup on anything unless I hit a few million in the lottery...

But if you need to carry 135 cubic feet of stuff, it doesn't matter how much a Mustang costs. Your alternative is an E150 (which is now an E250 8-lug beast) or a small SUV, or a minivan, which seem to be almost extinct if you want American.

Ford is trying to make money here...I'm not a fan of a Turkish made vehicle either, but they are talking about making the next gen Transit Connect in Michigan (2011 or 2012, I think.)

George