1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

99 F150 power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM
mikren
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
99 F150 power window issue

My power window issue is a little different then the ones I read about here in the forums...

It's the passenger window stuck in the down position. Driver side window works fine...I can't raise it up from either the driver side control or the passenger side. I don't hear any " clicking " sound from the fuse panel when I try to raise or lower the passenger window from either side controls, but I do hear the "clicking" sound when I play with the driver's side window though.

One thing I do hear when pressing the down button for the passenger window is a little " click " in the passenger door near the motor area. I don't hear anything when pressing the up side of the button.

I checked for broken wires in the door accordion, all seems fine. I removed the door panel and gave the motor a couple of taps but to no avail...

Could it be just a relay since I don't hear any clicking in the fuse panel or should I be replacing the motor... Any ideas would be appreciated

Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like your lift motor has went out.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i remember reading somewhere that there is a giant gear/arm looking thing in the door. is it possible that you're missing teeth on this gear/arm? just a thought, either that or your motor has gone out. used to go out quite frequently on my dad and grandfather 72' mercury, it was nice helping hold up the 100 pound window to replace it even though the car just sits there with low miles stuff still breaks regardless of it being taken care of.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mikren
My power window issue is a little different then the ones I read about here in the forums...

It's the passenger window stuck in the down position. Driver side window works fine...I can't raise it up from either the driver side control or the passenger side. I don't hear any " clicking " sound from the fuse panel when I try to raise or lower the passenger window from either side controls, but I do hear the "clicking" sound when I play with the driver's side window though.

One thing I do hear when pressing the down button for the passenger window is a little " click " in the passenger door near the motor area. I don't hear anything when pressing the up side of the button.

I checked for broken wires in the door accordion, all seems fine. I removed the door panel and gave the motor a couple of taps but to no avail...

Could it be just a relay since I don't hear any clicking in the fuse panel or should I be replacing the motor... Any ideas would be appreciated
It sounds like it's more than likely the window motor. We have them in stock in case your in a jamb. I posted links for you to the regulator,and also just the motor. It doesn't appear to be one of those cable regulators so that may be ok,might just be the motor.

Let us know how you make out with it.

Passenger Power Window Regulator W/Motor

Passenger Window Motor

Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Pull the motor, but leave it connected. Press up and down switches. Does the gear turn? Put a vise grip on the gear. Hold the motor in one and and the vise grip in the other. Have an assistant press the up and down switch. Does the gear slip now with the load of the vise grip hold it back? If so the planetary gears are gone. They are made of plastic. They dry out and crumble into tiny pieces. Get a long 5/16" shoulder bolt. Cut 3 sections 1/2" long out of the shoulder. Take the cover off of the motor and remove the broken pieces of plastic planetary gear. Drop in the 3 pieces of shoulder bolt. Add some grease and put the cover back on. Repeat the test with the vise grip. You won't be able to hold it this time. Put motor and door panel back. DONE and it's FREE!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
mikren
Mountain Pass
I had no idea what a shoulder bolt was and googled it but found there are different types of them. Can you maybe post a pic of one for this job and what portion of the bolt should be cut ? Thanks for the replys.

edit

Also, the window is in the down position and is very close to the motor, is there any way to raise the window to ease the removal of the motor ?

Mike

Also just read about a counter spring that I have to be carefull of.....do
i need to worry about this counter spring if I leave everything assembled and just pulling out the motor only ?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
A shoulder bolt is just the portion of the bolt that is not threaded. You see them all the time in long bolts. Only the first inch or so will have threads and the remainder will not. It's this unthreaded portion that you use to make your planets out of.
When you unbolt and remove the motor for testing you will be able to lift the window by hand. You can wedge a piece of wood in there to hole it up or use duct tape on both sides of the window glass up and over the door frame.
If there is a spring it is going to unload when you remove the last bolt holding the motor. Be careful to hold onto the motor as you remove the last bolt. The will probably be 3 bolts holding it.
The idea of the vise grip is to load down the motor. A lot of times the gear will turn with no load even if the planets are broken into a million pieces, but once you put that vise grip on there and hold that gear back it will slip if the planets are shot. This is also a good time for you to learn about a planetary gear system. Once you finish this repair you should be able to explain why a planetary system is superior to a ring and pinion even though they are used to do the same type of job manys times.
I rarely buy replacement motors for Fords and Linclolns on these older vehicles. The shoulder bolt will never fail. The motor will burn up first.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:17 PM
mikren
Mountain Pass

I added 2 pics of the motor, just pulled it out, thanks for all the tips so far. My new question is, how do I open this sucker up ?

oops, got a little ahead of my self. How do I supply 12 volts to the motor for your vice grip test, sorry for the dumb question but I'm no mechanic by any means.

another edit: found what I needed to test and open. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Mike

Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 PM
mikren
Mountain Pass
ok, looks like the gears inside are good because I can't hold the gear with vice grips as I connect it to the door and press the down button.

When I press the up button on the control nothing happens, it doesn't even turn freely.

Is there another possible fix for this motor or am I in need of a new one ?

Mike

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get a reman from your local parts store or order one from www.windowmotor.com

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
OK, how do these motors work? How many wires go to the motor? What does that tell you? Does it have an up winding and a down winding with a common return? No, it doesn't. So what is left? Reverse polarity, right? So, if the motor works in one direction it should work in the other if the polarity is being switched. Is the polarity being switched on your motor? Have you verified this one way or the other? Your problem is the switch. Either the master or slave switch. If you can't operate the window(up) from either the master or the slave I'd start at the master. You'll need a schematic at the point and a DVOM. Can you read schematics and own a DVOM. If you get stuck here I have a FREE fix for this one too. If you have the motor out you can take some aligators and jump to the motor connector from a 12Vdc BATT. It should turn in one direction. Reverse the aligators and repeat the test. It should turn in the opposite direction.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
mikren
Mountain Pass
right on, I used my batt charger and was able to spin the motor in both directions by reversing the polarity. You've been great so far eallanboggs...I am not great at reading schematics but I know someone you does. I dot not own a dvom either. What is the free fix you speak of oh great one ? Thanks again

Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Not goin to tell you that until you tell me exactly where the problem is. I've given you too many clues already. You have to do some of this work yourself. If you tell me where the problem is and you can prove it I'll give you the FREE fix.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 AM
mikren
Mountain Pass
lol.......fair enough. Off the top of my head this morning all I can come up with is that the motor obviously runs on a closed circuit. By pressing the up fuction on either side well the circuit is not being closed ???

My guess is the master switch (drivers side) has a connectivity problem somewhere between it and the fuse panel ?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
You gettin there. Now that you've figured out you motor is OK you should be glad that the money you would have spent buying a new one had you taken the advice you got to buy one is still in your pocket. It would have been easy to run out and buy a new motor and put it in only to find out you had wasted your time and money. These motor are very robust. On Ford/Lincoln a lot of times it's the planetary that fails. Other manufacturers have other problems. I've done enough Fords to know what to look for. You need to go to AlldataDIY.com and buy the online shop manual for your vehicle. It will give you schematics, test points, connector pinouts, etc. It won't give shortcuts like the ones I use. Now how does reveres polarity work. How do those switches accomplish the reverse polarity function? Which switch get more use(Master or Slave)? Which one usually fails first. Since you already have the pass side door panel off start there looking for power to the switch connector. Do you know how to backprobe? Do you have the adapters("T" pins, piercing probes) you need for this kind of troubleshooing? If you don't have power to the connector on the pass side connector can you jump 12Vdc to the connector leads? You plug the motor back in and try the switch with the 12Vdc jumped to the connector. Does the motor now work? What does that tell you? These are the kind of questions you should be asking yourself. In order to get the motor to run you POS has to become NEG and the NEG has to become POS. How is this done?

Quick Reply: 99 F150 power window issue