Transmission advice from local guru's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
phelios27
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission advice from local guru's

Hola all,

I don't post as much as I should so ya'll can me if ya want! Anyway I went to grants for my brother n law's family reunion. there was about an 18 mile gravel trail. Very dusty/windy. Also had my son, wife and mom n father in law. We fit perfectly and my father n law kept giving my compliments on how my truck drove and it's general low mileage and mint condition.
Well we get everyone home and stopped for some mickey d's by our house. Well I was turning south on coors to get to montano and the truck stalls out. What the heck? Turn it off and crank her up...runs...but runs like ****. I turn west on Montano headed back home up the hill and the truck is at like 4k before it decides to shift. Crap. I'm at the stop light and an off duty police officer pulls up next to me and flags me down. He says that my Tranny is all over and if I needed any help. I told him i'm about 2 blocks away and I could make it. Thanks for the offer though, I did appreciate it. I get it home and it's coming from the e4od torque converter drain plug. After I shut her down the leak stops. After doing some research I'm thinking my best course of action would be to just refill and see if it leaks again? If it does, bad front seal? If it doesn't leak then the seal must've re-seated and it's a tranny cooling issue...My truck has been getting to the M in normal when the A/C is on and I'm idling on a hot day...Thermostat?
Could this have an effect of the tranny temps? I have another car so i'm not in any rush to fix this, just need some advice. She does look sad sitting out there in a pool of tranny fluid and detergent i used to soak it up

Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope the tranny and TC are OK. No matter what though, you should look into an aux tranny cooler and mount it in front of the radiator down low. Even if you have a factory one, it probably isn't big enough. Good luck with it!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 PM
desertt5
Senior User
pheilos,
Sorry to hear about the tranny puking on ya. I would think if it was running warm/ hot while not pulling there would be a reason. Extra coolers never hurt, but it should run even in our heat with just the factory one. Cooler plugged up from the gravel road?

Just obvious questions, last time tranny was flushed or filter done? I had an Explorer that refused to shift, it was the filter. I know that is not jsut like yours just throwing ideas out.

How much fluid did you actually lose?

Good luck

Kirby

Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
phelios27
Junior User
So after sitting for a year I changed the oil and drained the coolant(**have another car and got busy**). However, I decided to go back to dex/merc 3 as I think the merc v that was in there did not agree with my transmission. No leaks and shifting fine. However, I did it kind of a hurry since I needed the truck for summer yard clean up. I'm hoping that what merv v that was left and dexmerc 3 that's in there now don't create a "worlds colliding" situation. What do you guys think?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be ok. I would put some teflon tape on the drain plug though.

Is yours a 3 or 4 speed?

Also you should have a cooler from the factory, Some of the factory coolers have a thermostat, it may be stuck.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
phelios27
Junior User
Originally Posted by KRDiesel
You should be ok. I would put some teflon tape on the drain plug though.

Is yours a 3 or 4 speed?

Also you should have a cooler from the factory, Some of the factory coolers have a thermostat, it may be stuck.
4 speed. Yep, I have the OEM cooler up front on the lower left of the radiator. I didn't know it had a T-stat though. That may be the problem right there. Where is it located? Crud...I guess I would need to drain it again to change that right? Good think I didn't take back that extra case of DexMerc3.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
phelios27
Junior User
Welp. I added more tranny fluid and she is up and running...though there is still a leak about. It's drop or two after it sits for a day or two. I'm not to concerned. However my coolant hoses are on their last leg. I have a nice leak from a small 3 inch hose that goes from the waterpump to the block