Bronco II Ford Bronco II

89 Bronco II wont turn over..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 Bronco II wont turn over..

I was given a Bronco II that I have tried to get running to no avail yet. The problem is that it wont even turn over when you turn the key to start. I can get the motor to turn over if I jump from the battery to the starter side of the selonoid, but it wont start. When you turn on the ignition, the lights all come on and there is a clicking sound from the engine compartment, just wont turn over when you turn the key to start. I also do not have any fuel pressure on the fuel rail at the test port. I am wondering if there is something that may be tripped or blown fuse or something. I have checked all of the fuses both under the hood and under the dash, and all are good, with the exception of the selonoids, I dont know how to check them, or even if one of them could be the culprit.

Hopefully someone has a good starting point at least...

Walter

Last edited by TrussGod; 08-16-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added vehicle year
Old 08-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Jab'sBronco2
Freshman User
Hi walter!

couple easy things i would check.

you say you can get it to turn over when you jump the connection, but when you turn the key it just clicks? this one is easy! Replace that solenoid. this is just a couple of dollars so no biggie there.

Now you say it does turn over which is great, but wont start which is !!

when you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump kick on? ( take the gas cap off and have a buddy listen down the spout for a humming ) now remember just key on, dont put it to the start position, because if the solenoid happens to be good, then the battery is our culprit.

so let me sum this up for ya.
Make sure that battery is fully charged! and i mean full bleeding over the top charged, if it still wont turn over then replace that solenoid, and if still no luck then replace the battery.

Updates! good luck

Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Frank Fencepost
New User
Take it around a long, sloping curve in a country road at, oh, say, 55 miles an hour and it'll turn right over.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
Originally Posted by Frank Fencepost
Take it around a long, sloping curve in a country road at, oh, say, 55 miles an hour and it'll turn right over.

You're right, I bet that would do it... But, the engine is what I was really after.

I did get the motor to turn over, the starter solenoid was bad, worked great as soon as I replaced that.

Now the problem I have is not getting any fuel. But I think that the fuel pump is bad. When I replaced the fuel filter, I turned on the ignition and only got a trickle of fuel out of the line. Need to replace that, $138.00 ouch. Then without thinking too much about what the idiot that I got the B-2 from was thinking when he cut both fuel lines near the bypass valve, repair the fuel lines before I try to start it again. I'm hoping that once I get fuel to the injectors it will fire up!

Walter

Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Jab'sBronco2
Freshman User
these have 2 pumps on them, 1 in the tank and 1 mounted on the frame, he coulda done that to bypass a bad pump

Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
TrussGod
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jab'sBronco2
these have 2 pumps on them, 1 in the tank and 1 mounted on the frame, he coulda done that to bypass a bad pump
According to all the info I have, the '89 only has the one pump in the tank. That was a chnage on the '89 and newer models, and I havent seen any other pump in tracing the fuel lines back to the tank, so I'm sure that I only have the one. Besides, he cut the line up in the engine compartment about 6" from the fuel rail..?? Dont know what the heck he was thinking.

Walter

Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Jab'sBronco2
Freshman User
my bad on that one man, maybe he bent it while removing / repairing something? and it broke ( when those break it looks like it has been cut ) he could have also been trying to bypass the pressure regulator, i would check that first ( $45.00 at autozone bout the same at baxters and pep boys, but its $120.00 at schucks.... <---- Makes no sense )

Give updates and good luck.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
TrussGod
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jab'sBronco2
my bad on that one man, maybe he bent it while removing / repairing something? and it broke ( when those break it looks like it has been cut ) he could have also been trying to bypass the pressure regulator, i would check that first ( $45.00 at autozone bout the same at baxters and pep boys, but its $120.00 at schucks.... <---- Makes no sense )

Give updates and good luck.
He may also have just been and idiot. I repaired the lines and replaced the bad pump, which was bad after all. Once I got the fuel flowing, I found that the idiot had screwed the schaeder valve on the fuel rail half out, big leak... I got that tightened and the motor fired and ran well. It hasn't run for about a year, so it is still a little rough, but runs.

Now my problem is that the transmission is in bad shape and will need to be replaced. It moves about a foot and then sounds like a gear is grinding and wont move, not good. Not real sure what the problem there is, but I know it's in the tranny not the transfer case.

Anyone know what a 5 speed manual will run me?

Last edited by TrussGod; 08-24-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 AM
fl1a
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to get an idea of a price for a transmission, you might try: car-part.com

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM
TrussGod
Junior User
I contacted a couple of wrecking yards around here and found one for $450. So I thought I would get with a mechanic that I work with on the things that I dont want to tackle. He just happend to have one in his storage shed that he took out of a rolled B2, same year, that he sold me for $50.

Pretty good deal I think.

Walter

Old 08-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Jab'sBronco2
Freshman User
hey truss while you have the trannie out make sure you check your seals wont hurt, and will save you headaches of future leaks :P

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
Originally Posted by fl1a
to get an idea of a price for a transmission, you might try: car-part.com
Hey, that has alot of parts....

Gives me a good idea of what the wrecking yards here have, at least in the way of major parts. Im sure they dont list minor parts. I will definitly keep that website on my favorites list.

Walter