6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 AM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver

I have just recently started to use this stuff and I had a couple of questions. On the back of the bottle it says to use 4 ounces to every 30 gallons or something like that. I have a hard time believing that 4 ounces of a kerosene naptha mix raises the cetane rating of 30 gallons of diesel considerably. I mean if this stuff is that potent then how can they sell it to the public. Lately I have been using a half a bottle to each fill up on my tank.

So is there risk of using too much additive? And if So how much is too much? I am almost tempted to use a whole bottle for a complete fill of the tank. Does using this much cause any kind of damage to the fuel system via o-rings or injectors?

I do not know if anyone has mentioned it but there is a guy on you tube that calls himself Powerstroke Help. He has interesting videos on the 6.0. In one video he stated that the 6.0 was designed and engineered in europe were the quality of diesel is very high. He says the fact that our diesel is lower in cetane was overlooked in the design of the 6.0. I am sure someone has said it before but the lower the cetane rating the more particulate is generated so maybe this additive is worth it. I just wonder how potent it is?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
I would advise you to follow the instructions on what they recommend. As far as the cetane levels of this country, I don't know of any federal standards the refineries have to meet to call it diesel. In Pennsylvania where I live, fillup stations don't have to advertise cetane numbers, but I have seen a few (Hess) stations that did.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 AM
labwillow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the motorcraft stuff exclusively in the winter in both my diesels. I use 4oz for each fillup 20-35 gallons and I have had no problems. I use the winer blend of the anti gel and as long as I remember to use it at every fillup I have no gelling issues. I tried other stuff and I found I had the best luck with the motorcraft stuff. It is also a good deal $14.00 to treat 120 gallons. Last winter I had not used my pickup in a while and my wife took it out of the garage and went to work on a day it was -20 needless to say I nhad to bring my other diesel to her and play the warm and wait game with my pickup. I dumped a whole bottle of the motorcraft stuff into a half tank of fuel. After I got the truck running right and it warmed up it felt like it was on steroids.I assumed it was due to the high concentrate of cetane booster in the tank.?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:16 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by John with beastly 302
I have a hard time believing that 4 ounces of a kerosene naptha mix raises the cetane rating of 30 gallons of diesel considerably. I mean if this stuff is that potent then how can they sell it to the public. Lately I have been using a half a bottle to each fill up on my tank.
Other brands of additives are also used in similar concentrations, so Motorcraft isn't out there by themselves.

Does the additive say how many cetane points it adds at the recommended concentration? If not, maybe you can find a reference out on the internet.

My point is, generally the diesel we buy is most likely to be around 40 cetane. Our trucks were designed to run on 45 cetane. Online references I've found in the past say that anything over 50 cetane is of no value, and between 45 and 50 is a diminishing value. So, I try to shoot for about 45, assuming the fuel I buy started out at 40. An assumption that is impossible for me to verify, but it's the only baseline I have. I use Diesel Kleen in a concentration that should give me a gain of 6 cetane points.

If you can find the info on your Motorcraft booster, you could shoot for the same thing.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by John with beastly 302
I have just recently started to use this stuff and I had a couple of questions. On the back of the bottle it says to use 4 ounces to every 30 gallons or something like that. I have a hard time believing that 4 ounces of a kerosene naptha mix raises the cetane rating of 30 gallons of diesel considerably. I mean if this stuff is that potent then how can they sell it to the public. Lately I have been using a half a bottle to each fill up on my tank.

So is there risk of using too much additive? And if So how much is too much? I am almost tempted to use a whole bottle for a complete fill of the tank. Does using this much cause any kind of damage to the fuel system via o-rings or injectors?

I do not know if anyone has mentioned it but there is a guy on you tube that calls himself Powerstroke Help. He has interesting videos on the 6.0. In one video he stated that the 6.0 was designed and engineered in europe were the quality of diesel is very high. He says the fact that our diesel is lower in cetane was overlooked in the design of the 6.0. I am sure someone has said it before but the lower the cetane rating the more particulate is generated so maybe this additive is worth it. I just wonder how potent it is?
Where do you purchase you Motorcraft Cetane Booster? Is there an online link that is cheapest?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
Originally Posted by scottman70
Where do you purchase you Motorcraft Cetane Booster? Is there an online link that is cheapest?
I get it from a local dealer for about $6 dollars a bottle. I'll have to some research as to how many points this stuff raises the cetane .

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
I buy it in gallon cans at the dealer.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:54 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
According to Motorcraft this is what the cetane booster and performance enhancer is made of.

Chemical Concentration

HYDROTREATED LIGHT
DISTILLATE (PETROLEUM) 60%-100%

2-ETHYLHEXYL NITRATE 15%-40%

NAPHTHALENE 0.1%-1%

1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE 0.1%-1%

I would think that the distillate is probably kerosene or something of the nature. But I haven't a clue as to what 2-ETHYLHEXYL NITRAETE is or for that matter what the other two ingredients are?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
An interesting link for 2-ETHYLHEXYL NITRATE. http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/981364

Also a definition of NAPTHALENE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene

And a definition of 1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene

Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Originally Posted by scottman70
There are a few places that sell it. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Motorcraft+Ceta...mance+Improver+

Motorcraft doesn't list the actual Cetane gain if you use it:
Note: This ultra-low sulfur formulation can be used in engines required to meet 2007 emissions requirements (e.g., Ford's 6.4 L diesel engine) and is backward compatible as well (i.e., can be used in Ford's 6.9 L, 7.3 L, and 6.0 L diesel engines).
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant
Specially formulated for diesel engines to combat the effects of poor-quality diesel fuel
Boosts the Cetane Rating (fuel ignitability) of diesel fuel for improved starting performance
Increases power
Smooths engine operation
Improves fuel economy
Adds lubricity to fuel to reduce engine wear

Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
bpounds is "right on target" ............ Ford is now saying that 45 is the minimum recommended CETANE level. The minimum specs at the pumps in the States is 38 to 40.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I use PowerService and use it at "double-dosage" rates at every fill-up.

I have spoken to PowerService several times over the years and they state up to "double-dosing" provides a benefit... but after that, the costs outweight the gains.

No fuel additive will make bad diesel fuel great fuel... but some or double dosing is better than none at all.

I personally year-round and at every fill up. I too agree that a few ounces per fill-up is to little to really help... so I double-dose.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Let's not forget about Stanadyne. I definately see 2-3 mpgs improvement. My 6.0 loves it like katnip.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke
Let's not forget about Stanadyne. I definately see 2-3 mpgs improvement. My 6.0 loves it like katnip.
Yep... good stuff indeed.

I don't think anyone was forgetting about but rather the question was how much is necessary or if extra dosing was required.... how much is too much??

That is why I posted that I have spoken to PowerService on 2 or 3 occasions and would recommend that other due or call their preferred choice of additive company.

I double-dose since this is what PowerService stated I could do and the benefits would equal the gains... more than double-dosing would be a waste (is what they told me).... but single-dosing is good and provides all the lubrication one needs when following their labeling.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
I personally like Stanadyne. But I think that "single dosing" stanadyne is about the same cost as "double dosing" power service. I believe you pointed that out in a past post BBC. I believe that either of these approaches offer excellent benefits. So does the Ford Cetane Booster additive (which is rumored to be Stanadyne re-packaged).

In the past some folks have seriously questioned the need for fuel additives. They say that there are relatively few issues that people have with fuel quality. I started saving posts on complaints of fuel quality awhile back and actually got up to quite a few. I have since deleted them since my spreadsheet of 6.0L reference material (and links) is almost 10 MB now. I firmly believe that bad fuel is more common than most people would like to believe. Maybe w/ the ULSD these incidences are becoming fewer - only time will tell.

My point is - you may or may not ever really NEED fuel additives. Also, if the fuel is REALLY BAD, then even fuel additives will not save your fuel system. For the situation where you get lower cetane fuel, some slight water content, higher chain hydrocarbons that tend to gell, fuel additives are a big help.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver