Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: BPofMD

F450 7.3l Loss of power???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
axisprop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F450 7.3l Loss of power???

I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can help me out before I end up spending a ton of money to have someone else take a look at it.
I have a 2001 F450 7.3L, I bought it used off of Brickman, it ran fine all through the winter and this might be just by chance but since the spring the truck would suddenly lose power and we would have to pull over pop the hood let it sit for five minutes then either drive it home or use it for the rest of the day with no problems.

This started after it completely shut down and stopped running one day. I changed the cps and it started right up and ran fine, but ever since then we have been having this problem.
Things I have done so far, changed fuel filter, changed the oil earlier then needed, changed the cps, check air filter. I am not really sure what else to do and that is why I am starting this thread, so please any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7.3 that's a diesel right? have ya posted anything in the diesel forum-I would love to help ya but I'm lost on diesels-sorry-maybe when Charlie-aka dusty bumpers gets off work tonight he might have an idea-I'll point him in this direction when I see him tonight

Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 AM
axisprop
New User
Thank you,

Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by axisprop
Thank you,
hey any time -we are just one big happy family on here-what part of this great state ya in? I'm in calvert county-charlie is in crownsville-Bud is in millersville-we are spread out all over the place- I'm sure we can get ya some answers on here somewhere/somehow

Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM
axisprop
New User
Originally Posted by jr32560
hey any time -we are just one big happy family on here-what part of this great state ya in? I'm in calvert county-charlie is in crownsville-Bud is in millersville-we are spread out all over the place- I'm sure we can get ya some answers on here somewhere/somehow
I am in Millersville, right off of Rt 2...

Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
cool Charlie is close to ya then-maybe he can stop in and take a look for ya-or you can swing into his place -he has a bunch of scanners and stuff-might be something simple

Old 07-06-2009, 09:21 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
we got a get together this month at Charlie's place or right around the corner-maybe ya could stop in and meet a few of the Maryland chapter members on here-were not really crazy
we just act that way-life is too short not to have a few laughs-check the Maryland thread and find the date- if your not busy that day we would love to have ya!allways nice to have folks to help us out on these problems we all have-friends helping friends-plus it saves a lot of money when we can fix em ourselves -heck we help each other in many ways-other than truck problems-kinda like a self help place-home improvements the whole ball of wax

Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts

Ummm...where does Rt 2 pass Millersville? I know Rt 3 does...I'm in Old Mill and Charlie is near Crownsville...Old Harold harbor Rd...welcome to the MD Chapter.

On your 7.3, I would go here and ask the same question...lots of help there....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
axisprop
New User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Ummm...where does Rt 2 pass Millersville? I know Rt 3 does...I'm in Old Mill and Charlie is near Crownsville...Old Harold harbor Rd...welcome to the MD Chapter.

On your 7.3, I would go here and ask the same question...lots of help there....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/
I am about a mile south of Jumpers Hole road. I own a small landscape maintenance company and we maintain a property on Old Harold Harbour Rd. Thanks for the link I will check it out, I also posted a similar thread in another section.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
where at on old herald harbor? back to your truck. does the check engine light come on, stay on, or flash?. how many miles does the truck have on it?. have you ever added hopps to the fuel, to clean the injectors? you buy it by the gal at the truck stop. I kinda think you are getting ready to replace the high pressure fuel pump, I just did our 2002 sat. let me know the couple of questions first, then we'll decide. don't spend any money yet, we'll figgure it out btw, welcome to our small world, and I am sorry to be late tonight, my lady had company, and I had to be polite......

Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
me again. how long before it stumbles/quits? when started again, how long until it does it again. does it seem to be getting more frequent? what fuel tank is on the truck? aftermarket? does the truck dump? can you see the top of the fuel tank? can you hear your turbo wistle? when breaking down, does it still wistle?. will bother you more in the morning with questions. Charlie

Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
axisprop
New User
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
where at on old herald harbor? back to your truck. does the check engine light come on, stay on, or flash?. how many miles does the truck have on it?. have you ever added hopps to the fuel, to clean the injectors? you buy it by the gal at the truck stop. I kinda think you are getting ready to replace the high pressure fuel pump, I just did our 2002 sat. let me know the couple of questions first, then we'll decide. don't spend any money yet, we'll figgure it out btw, welcome to our small world, and I am sorry to be late tonight, my lady had company, and I had to be polite......
The property we maintain is I think the first or second house on the left when you turn onto Old Herold Harbor off of sunrise beach.

The the check eng light does not come on, I am somewhat sure of that, it normally happens when we are accerlating. The truck has about 94-95000 miles on it I did just add an additive to the fuel to help clean the injectors but I will try and find hopps and put that in the tank and see if that helps. From my experience with most vehicles I have been leaning towards the fuel pump as well, and this is my first diesel so when I pop the hood I stand there for a minute scratching my head before I start digging in and that is the main reason why I am searching for assistance.

Thanks for the welcome, and thank you for your time...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM
axisprop
New User
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
me again. how long before it stumbles/quits? when started again, how long until it does it again. does it seem to be getting more frequent? what fuel tank is on the truck? aftermarket? does the truck dump? can you see the top of the fuel tank? can you hear your turbo wistle? when breaking down, does it still wistle?. will bother you more in the morning with questions. Charlie
There is no specific time before it happens it is really inconsistent. I think the only thing that somewhat constant is that it happens on the warmer days at the warmest time of day but not all the time. It is not getting more frequent, it is pretty random. I am pretty sure it has a stock metal gas tank, the bed does dump and I do have easy access to the top of the tank. I am not sure about the turbo.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
the people with the nice pool. I live about .2 mile down on the right.no, not the one that looks like a junk yard, 2 more drive ways down from him.ok, how does the fill hook up, straight in, or is there a hose? how much dirt is on top of the tank?.reason I am asking this, you have no check engine light [cel], or water in fuel []wif]. truck runs great then " gets a head ache". if high pressure pump were bad, it would just quit. I am concerned that your fuel tank may have sand, or dirt, or bark mulch in it. possible, when filling, to get some in it, just by accedent. you had no problem last winter, until warm weather, so has to be something like that. I did get a bad tank of fuel from doors, earlier in the spring, had to change the filter on my skid loader 2 times, finnally ok now. clean the top of the tank real well, and look at where the fuel lines hook up, see if the gasket there may be leaking a little. I may have you pull the assembly out, and instal a new sock on the bottom of the pick up. that would help, but if the fuel is contaminated with dirt, the tank will have to be cleaned. the reason I ask if straight in fill, or hose, I would like you to get a sample from the bottom of the tank, if straight in, no problem, if hose, clean the area well, and remove the hose, stick a turkey baster in as far as you can, and get a sample, put it in a clear contained, and shake it up, let it settle, and let me know what you find. you may want to drive, and bounce the truck around to get it stirred up. take 2, or 3 samples.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
i knew Charlie could figure out something to tell ya

Quick Reply: F450 7.3l Loss of power???