6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 Smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
6.4 Smoking?

Hello eveyone. Well I got off the free way in regen and went to fill it up. Turned it off while it was in regen I think filled up and as I was leaving the gas station I noticed gray smoke coming out of the exhaust

So It smokes for about 3 min and once I got on the free way it does not do it again. So I just pulled into your hotel and let it sit and idle went and parked it and turned it off and unloaded. I wanted to see if it would still do it so about 5 min later I went and started it and at first it was fine and then I gave it a little throttle and it all came back. So its not a solid stream but on off on off. It does not smell like burning oil so I don't think its that but what is it?
Its a 2008 F 450 with 85,000 miles on it
Thanks
Nick

Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
sounds more to me like it was the residue from the regen left in the pipe. I would just monitor it.

That is my initial thoughts.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I remember right you are the second owner? Maybe the previous owner did'nt drive it very hard and you are just blowing out stuff that has collected in the DPF.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:00 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
How could we drive 2,000 miles and nothing and all of a sudden it is doing it when you start it. Last night we went out to dinner and going down a street I floored it, no joke the WHOLE street was covered in grey smoke. So now I am easy on it so a lot of smoke don't dump out of it go back to the gas station to fill up and now I drove it easy came back to the Hotel got stuff for fire works and raced back out there and I don't think it smoked at all?

Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
trfdfirefighter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine does it too if you shut it off during a regen and then start it back, only if its kinda cool outside though. i think whats happening is its going through regen then when you kill the motor whats burning inside the dpf smolders out. then when you crank it it doesn't go back into regen so the normal exhaust flow blows the smoldering funk out the tail pipe. thats my best guess. next week that piece of junk dpf is coming off my ride haha

Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
David222
New User
One of my 08 just decides to go into a white smoking fit, a lot of smoke and sputters like a flooded gas engine. No predicting when its going to happen. Does yours sputter when it smokes?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
burrhead
Junior User
My early build job 1 did it since new in wet weather,, there is a sercive bulliten to replaced the charge air cooler/ intercooler, in front of the radiator. .at 29,000 when i got my new radiator , the dealer replaced it also.. no white smoke since.. do a search for hesitation and white smoke, should come up with the tsb. and it gives you the build dates that are affected...

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
benmoderow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My job 1 f350 would do the same thing, usually when it was regenerating. The dealer had some kind of a recall and reprogrammed it and it never did it again.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
sbaset
Junior User
do you have black carbon buildup on your exhaust tips? The insides of the tips should be pretty bone clean...no black. Maybe a cracked DPF is causing the smoke. Mine smoked quite a bit until the DPF was replaced.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 AM
c dogg
New User
Regeneration

When mine goes into regen, white smoke comes out from under the truck and it smells like a self cleaning oven, I can't stand it, it's driving me nuts! I can't have the windows down or it will fill up the cab with smoke. I am going to do the tuner with the DPF delete to see if that will help. The truck has 66,000 mi on it and goes into regen every 40 mi or so, I do tow a 10,000 lb trailer daily, but it still should'nt do that so often, it's a royal pain in the a***, if you know what I mean.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:49 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
c dogg, your truck is not working right. I tow a lot too and it's actually better for the DPF system when you tow. High EGT's are beneficial and you and I run EGT's 800 to 1200 degrees almost constantly.

I know your pissed at it but you should have it checked, make sure the latest PCM flash is on it, make sure your EGT and DPF sensors are working right. Also, make sure you are running ULSD. I know it's obvious but worth looking at again.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 PM
c dogg
New User
Ruschejj, thanks for the info, but what the heck is ULSD?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by c dogg
Ruschejj, thanks for the info, but what the heck is ULSD?
ULSD: Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel. This is what is required in these trucks. If you run bio diesel or low sulpher is causes issues.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:40 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Diesel fuel has two formulas right now.

LSD - Low Sulfur Diesel, this is the formula used for a very long time. Has 500 parts per million sulfur molecules in it. This formula is being phased out, no longer available in July of 2010. This fuel will destroy your diesel engine and the emissions equipment on it.

ULSD - Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, this is the new formula that contains a maximum of 15 parts per million sulfur molecules. All diesel engines manufactured mid-2007 to present are required to burn this fuel for emissions laws. They have been engineered and manufactured to run this fuel.

The diesel pumps should be marked with a sticker that either says LSD - 500ppm Sulfur, or ULSD - 15ppm Sulfur. Next time you fuel up, check it out.

The old stuff (LSD) is getting harder to find but it is still out there. In my town there are still 3 fuel stations that do not have the new ULSD stuff. There are also a lot of truck stops that have two sets of fuel lanes, one for LSD, other for ULSD.

If you want to read more just google ULSD. I hope that your truck gets better, it's a real shame for one of these new PSD's to not be working right.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:21 AM
trfdfirefighter
Senior User
from the oil refinery worker: you can thank the ULSD for the increase in diesel prices in the US along with the demand for diesel over seas, we ship most of it to europe. however the new refining process cost a ton of money and are difficult, not to mention sulfur was a very lubricating component of diesel which contributed to the higher cetane rating and longer life of the engines. this is the main reason they had to build an entire new powerstroke instead of sticking dpfs on old designs, the common rail has helped tremendously and is also why the oil changes can be extended due to less oil shear. it wont be too much longer and LSD will start to be dyed like the off road diesel.

Quick Reply: 6.4 Smoking?