Super cheap, quiet muffler options

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super cheap, quiet muffler options

After dumping a ton of money into my exhaust trying one thing after another I have finally had enough. I just want a quiet exhaust system now. I will never make the I6 sound good to me. Every time I hear a V8 or Cummins go by I just get disgusted all over again at the sound of my I6.

I'm on a budget now and just wanting a cheap way to make my truck quiet.

Looking for thoughts, opinions and suggestions.

Thanks all.

By the way, I've heard a factory muffler on a 300 with no cats and it soudned like a Honda. Sound is important to me if it means my truck is going to sound like a Honda. I just want my truck to be quiet but I don't want it to sound like a four banger.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Try our 22" WickedFlow. It may not be the cheapest muffler out there, but it is quiet and free flowing. I haven't heard what it sounds like on an I6, but this muffler can tame really large trucks quite well, so it should sound all right on the I6. The sound should be deep and mellow. Most mufflers that are cheaper are either restrictive or too small to be effective at making it quieter.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bear River
Try our 22" WickedFlow. It may not be the cheapest muffler out there, but it is quiet and free flowing. I haven't heard what it sounds like on an I6, but this muffler can tame really large trucks quite well, so it should sound all right on the I6. The sound should be deep and mellow. Most mufflers that are cheaper are either restrictive or too small to be effective at making it quieter.

Thanks Bear. I looked around and found what I think would work. I'll probably go for the 22'' dual out whicked flow. I'll run the tail pipes straight back just for looks. You think it'll be pretty quiet, though? And not sound zippy?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Bear River
Former ******
These mufflers have amazing sound absorbing qualities.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If it were me I would put on a single exhaust and exit behind the rear axle and use one of these mufflers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-13746/

Other configurations
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalsatinxl.asp

A chambered muffler would give you a better sound but a large capacity chambered muffler is a bit pricey.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dkf
If it were me I would put on a single exhaust and exit behind the rear axle and use one of these mufflers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-13746/

Other configurations
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalsatinxl.asp

A chambered muffler would give you a better sound but a large capacity chambered muffler is a bit pricey.
Thanks dkf. I wish these mufflers had a better rating system. The muffler says it has three baffles. My flow44 has three baffles too. I would hate to put out another chunk of money for a muffler not much more quiet than what I already have.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Thanks dkf. I wish these mufflers had a better rating system. The muffler says it has three baffles. My flow44 has three baffles too. I would hate to put out another chunk of money for a muffler not much more quiet than what I already have.
Its a turbo style muffler which has the 3 chambers. It also has packing surrounding the cores. The link to the muffler I showed has a 27" case length, that is roughly double the case length and capacity of your FM44. Another muffler that would be pretty quiet is the FM70 BB2 but it costs over double of what the magnaflow XLs do.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you want my exhaust bill?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rockin300
you want my exhaust bill?
Yours is too loud too. I'm talking about putting a near-stock sound back on my truck.

I just get disgusted when I hear a throat V8 go by or a Cummins diesel opened up. Then I hear my truck and I'm just like.. ..

Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
try bear rivers muffler and see if you like it my trucks tone dont bother me anymore i just like the fact that it cracks and pops really loud when i rev it but i know what you mean i went through the same thing after i got rid of my v8 truck and started driving my six

Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rockin300
try bear rivers muffler and see if you like it my trucks tone dont bother me anymore i just like the fact that it cracks and pops really loud when i rev it but i know what you mean i went through the same thing after i got rid of my v8 truck and started driving my six
I'll probably try bear's idea or something like it. And don't get me wrong it's not that I don't think your truck sounds bad. I think a 300 sounds good if done right. We all know nothing sounds as good as a throaty V8 though. I think I've got the loud exhaust thing ran out of my system anyway.. At certain RPM, I can't hear myself think (flowmasters drone like a ****).

End of rant

Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
i love the deep throaty crack of a v8 without cats and short glasspacks,thats why i bought my lincoln and put cherrybombs on it it has a deep crack to it ill never use flowmasters on anything i dont like the drone neather

Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 AM
C.hill
Junior User
dynomax superturbo, one of the best flows around, and i know itll quietin a 302 right down. and pretty cheep compaired to any other muffler. i used this on all of my old 90s model z24s which were loud stock. something to look at!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:09 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I just had my tailpipes rerouted straight out the back with no echo tips. I can't hear it in the cab hardly at all. If it is still loud, I can't hear it. I know I lost that tug boat idle - the only part of the 300 that sounds great. Oh well. What matters is I can hear myself think now when I drive.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:18 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
got some pics

Quick Reply: Super cheap, quiet muffler options