Pump question w/Magnesol

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pump question w/Magnesol

Have another question now that the filter is working better. I was thinking of getting a rotary handpump for the 55 gallon barrell to pump into the filters. It has been repeatedly said not to use a centrifugal pump since it sheers the Magnesol and causes it to be too fine to filter out. Would a rotary handpump do the same thing, or do you guys think that it would be ok to use. The rotary pump has a better fitting that shouldn't slip and cause Magnesol from the bottom of the barrell to drawn up like what happened before.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Ok, now I I'm looking @ getting a diaphram pump from DudaDiesel to replace my hand pump. The question that I now have is whether the pump goes into the bag filters. The information states that anything bigger than 400 micron should be filtered to not shorten the life of the pump. What kind of filtering arrangement do you guys use? If I later decide to go with a centerfuge instead of bag filters, will this pump be enough?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use vacum, pressure, and gravity to move my fuel around without a pump or expensive diaphragm pump. See this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23333954@N06/3145414608/

The demethed fuel is put in the stock tank on the wooden platform and mixed with Magnesol using a home made system with an electric motor and paint stirrer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2333395...7612833699193/ Once it is mixed and settled I simply gravity flow it through filter socks (5 and 1 micron) into the tote below. From the tote it can go to storage or my truck through a XB-100 filter housing with a 1 micron absolute filter.

I don't know what you mean about the pump going "into" the filters, but I don't think the diaphragm pump would be right for the centrifuge. The centrifuge is too slow and expensive compared to the filter housing system.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

nice pics, thanks for the input. Right now my dry-wash/ filtering setup is in my shed (12 by 8 ft). I don't quite have the headroom to work with.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
Ok, now I I'm looking @ getting a diaphram pump from DudaDiesel to replace my hand pump. The question that I now have is whether the pump goes into the bag filters. The information states that anything bigger than 400 micron should be filtered to not shorten the life of the pump. What kind of filtering arrangement do you guys use? If I later decide to go with a centerfuge instead of bag filters, will this pump be enough?
I mix my BD in an open 55 gal drum with a SLOW turning mixer. I let it sit for 24 hours to let the Magnesol settle. I then pump the BD off the top with a diaphram pump into a 5/1 then a 1/1A sock filter, then into the truck or storage. You wont get 400 microns through that filter if you let it settle and skim it from the top.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

How far down do you put the pickup tube? I am processing 35-37 gallons at a time in a 55 gallon drum also. Just so I'm following, some bio is left in the barrell? At what point do you draw it down and scoop out the magnesol from the bottom? this is my 8th batch. thanks

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Tom D
Elder User
How far down do you put the pickup tube? I am processing 35-37 gallons at a time in a 55 gallon drum also. Just so I'm following, some bio is left in the barrell? At what point do you draw it down and scoop out the magnesol from the bottom? this is my 8th batch. thanks
I use a piece of PVC and support it at a safe level above the Magnesol. Then as I get closer to the Mag, I lower the tube carefully so I don't hit the Mag. When I am done, there is approx 1-2 inches of BD left above the Mag. I leave the Mag in the barrel till after 5-6 batches (it's up to you) then I scoop it out and leave the remaining BD in the barrel for the next batch. You don't have to clean the Mag out completely. It will settle to the bottom when you dump another batch in. As long as you have enough volume in the barrel to dump 35-37 gal of BD in, it doesn't matter how many times you do it before you scoop out the old Magnesol. The old Magnesol stays soft under the remaining BD.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Tom D
I use a piece of PVC and support it at a safe level above the Magnesol. Then as I get closer to the Mag, I lower the tube carefully so I don't hit the Mag. When I am done, there is approx 1-2 inches of BD left above the Mag. I leave the Mag in the barrel till after 5-6 batches (it's up to you) then I scoop it out and leave the remaining BD in the barrel for the next batch. You don't have to clean the Mag out completely. It will settle to the bottom when you dump another batch in. As long as you have enough volume in the barrel to dump 35-37 gal of BD in, it doesn't matter how many times you do it before you scoop out the old Magnesol. The old Magnesol stays soft under the remaining BD.
Thanks for the tip. Got my pump yesterday, so will try and get a similar set up rigged up this weekend. Got another batch in the reactor to process first...

Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Tom D
Elder User
Glad to help. I'm having trouble with my pump and need to replace it. What kind of pump did you get and is it compatible with oil? Mine was not. The diaphram and valves are trashed and no replacenent.
Tom

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Got mine from Dudadiesel. 115 volt diaphram for 99 bucks. Supposed to be made for bio with Vitron seals & Diaphram...

Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Got mine from Dudadiesel. 115 volt diaphram for 99 bucks. Supposed to be made for bio with Vitron seals & Diaphram...
Let me know how it works out will you?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Well it seems to work too well, pumps faster than the bag setup can handle. Some Bio flows over the top of the bag holder. Either need to find some kind of valve to slow the flow or figure a new filtering system. Still it sure beats doing it by hand pump. Used your suggestion on the pickup, works nicely... thanks again.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Tom D
Elder User
Well it seems to work too well, pumps faster than the bag setup can handle. Some Bio flows over the top of the bag holder. Either need to find some kind of valve to slow the flow or figure a new filtering system. Still it sure beats doing it by hand pump. Used your suggestion on the pickup, works nicely... thanks again.
I built a system (taken from one that was posted here) that uses PVC pipe, (4" I think). I glued a threaded cleanout to the end. The bag filter will fit inside and you can screw a threaded plug on it. The plug can be drilled and tapped with a barbed connector or whatever you select to hook your pump to it. The pressure from the pump will force the BD through the filter faster than gravity. On the bottom of the pipe, I have adapted a 3/4" ball valve to shut off filter when tank is full. I have a clear hose connected to it.
See if you can search for the setup on this forum. The poster even showed pics and explained better than me how he built it. Good Luck
Tom

Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Thanks might have to do that. Going to try and put a hose clamp around the outside first, saw someone do that to keep the bio from flowing out over the bag holder.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom D
Let me know how it works out will you?
Hey Rushmore. How is your Dudadiesel diaphram pump working out? Mine is trashed and can't find parts so I can't make BD.
Tom D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pump question w/Magnesol