6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

accidently put gasoline engine oil in my 6.0 diesel

Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
seth1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accidently put gasoline engine oil in my 6.0 diesel

so i was gonna do my first oil change on my 03 f350 with 6.0 powerstroke and i didnt know much about diesels and i had asked a guy at fleet farm about oil and he said it didnt matter what i used so i got penzoil 10w 30. about 5000 miles later i was pulling about 12000 pounds and all the sudden i lost power and it was like an injector was out. i ended up replacing two injectos and the fuel pump. and then it still wasnt normal. since i didnt have the money to keep changing injectors i just took it home and parked it. then a month or so later my dad was talking to his buddy and said he had same kinda problems like injectors were out and the shop he took it to said bad oil could make it run like that. so i changed my oil and it ran fine for awhile then acted up again so i just kept changing it. on my 5th time in about 5000 miles and evertime it acted up i would just change it and it would come out of it. now this time it doesnt seem like its gonna. could i still be working out all the gasoline oil or could i be looking at bigger problems?? any ideas woulld be appreciated. thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I seriously doubt if 5w30 oil caused any problems with your truck. And diesel oil other then weight will usually have a little more detergent and that is about it. I run diesel oil in all my lawn mowers and 4 wheelers and small engines. And it is 15w40 but most of this only sees mostly hot weather running but not all the time. Your injectors are probably getting tired. 5w30 is a little lite for a diesel but i doubt if that was your problem. How hot was it when u were pulling the 12k and had the problem?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
12ozd
Posting Guru

With 5 oil changes in 5000 mi.,doubtful that is your issue now.

I also doubt 1 oil change with 10/30 would hurt anything either.

You have the correct oil in now,I would look somewhere else for a problem.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think it ever was the problem with the oil.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
High-pressure engine oil is used to fire the injectors. If you use the wrong weight oil, it CAN cause problems.

Thread moved to the 6.0 forum, you'll get lots of help from these guys

Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't you read your manual about oil before the first change?....Try a gallon of "Hot Shot Secret" it's helped a lot of folks here....

Old 06-17-2009, 05:02 PM
seth1
Senior User
when i was pulling the trailer it stayed right in the normal range where it usually did when driving.

what kinda problems?? injectors for sure? i cant see how an injector can go from bad to ok. i didnt think was a such thing

i tried a bottle of that hot shot a lil over a week ago and then last weekend it started doing the same thing again. so im kinda lost with what to do...

Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
heavyiron
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember that all these "opinions" are just that. Personally, my "opinion" is that given that your truck is 7 yrs old, has the earliest itineration of injectors and you ran the wrong oil weight in it may all have combined to cause the issue(s).
I think injector problems are very hit and miss. Some here have terrible problems and others dont ever seem to have any problems so who knows exactly.
Good luck with it anyway. Look on the bright side, you only have 6 more injectors to replace and they'll all be new!!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
When was the last fuel filter change?? Fuel pressure/volume will make the engine run like it is starved and at MAX loading it could have starved the fuel system. Plus having the wrong oil compounded the problem.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IS it the type of symptom some are reporting when the wiring harness has a short due to chafing on the engine block ?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I had no idea there was special diesel engine oil... I put in regular Rotella-T 5w-40 oil a while back, but did the fuel filters at the same time, and have had zero problems with it.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think all Rotella T 5W-40 is diesel oil.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
I think all Rotella T 5W-40 is diesel oil.
Just like 15w-40 is diesel oil. So no worries...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
supertruck60
Junior User
Hot Shot's Secret may help!

Originally Posted by seth1
so i was gonna do my first oil change on my 03 f350 with 6.0 powerstroke and i didnt know much about diesels and i had asked a guy at fleet farm about oil and he said it didnt matter what i used so i got penzoil 10w 30. about 5000 miles later i was pulling about 12000 pounds and all the sudden i lost power and it was like an injector was out. i ended up replacing two injectos and the fuel pump. and then it still wasnt normal. since i didnt have the money to keep changing injectors i just took it home and parked it. then a month or so later my dad was talking to his buddy and said he had same kinda problems like injectors were out and the shop he took it to said bad oil could make it run like that. so i changed my oil and it ran fine for awhile then acted up again so i just kept changing it. on my 5th time in about 5000 miles and evertime it acted up i would just change it and it would come out of it. now this time it doesnt seem like its gonna. could i still be working out all the gasoline oil or could i be looking at bigger problems?? any ideas woulld be appreciated. thanks
Hi,

The 6.0 liter has a problem with stiction due to the breakdown of the engine's oil.

We make an oil additive, Hot Shot's Secret, that was designed for International to address this issue. It cleans the oil side of the injectors to help eliminate this and restore the function of the engine's fuel delivery system. If a problem has been diagnosed with the injectors we always recommend running the treatment before replacement.

I am reposting this article that we wrote to flesh out what the problem is and how we can help.

Feel free to call us anytime with any questions that you may have.

Best Regards,
Dan

How To Solve Power Stroke Diesel Truck Injector Problems Inexpensively

Hot Shot's Secret has finally solved the common and costly fuel injector problems diesel truck owners have lamented for years.

To increase the efficiency in modern diesel engines, manufacturers have increased the pressure at the tip of the injector. This increase provides for a better, more efficient burn with added power. Older injectors would put out 1,200 psi at the injector tip but the new diesel engines put out 26,200 psi at the tip. To achieve this increase in pressure the manufacturers had to tighten the tolerance inside the injector. This increased the friction and temperature. The higher temperatures have a burning effect on the engine oil. A layer of oxidized oil and additives form, slowing down the injector and eventually stopping it altogether.

"Injectors in the diesel truck engines have a high failure rate," says Chris Gabrelcik, lubrication engineer, CEO of Lubrication Specialties, Inc. and the creator of Hot Shot's Secret. "Injector issues cause slow start-up, rough idling, hesitation, and lack of power because the injectors aren't firing properly." Until now, owners had to replace their existing injectors, often spending up to $2,500.00, with no guarantee that the problem would not occur in the future.

An amazing 86% of the time, Hot Shot's Secret solves the problem completely, and for the other 14% it has made a significant improvement. "We've got a money back guarantee and if it doesn't work, we'll credit you," says Gabrelcik, who acknowledges the fact that in some instances the product might not work because of other mechanical failures.

Originally created for International Truck and Engine, Hot Shot's Secret is an additive made from a combination of detergents and dispersants. Once added to the vehicle’s crankcase, Hot Shot's Secret removes build-up, the coking and varnishing left behind from overheating of the engine’s oil. "It's the only thing you can put in your engine that will clean it out and actually solve the problem," says Gabrelcik, who spent two years sending dozens of different formulas around the country to be tested in various terrain and weather conditions. The final product was rolled out in November 2005.

In addition to the improved injector performance, Hot Shot’s Secret’s formula will also clean the deposits in the engine and turbo and will fortify existing oil, thus helping it to work more effectively. It only takes 64 ounces of chemical to clean 100,000 miles of build-up. 32 ounces every 3-4 oil changes will prevent the problem from recurring. Lubrication Specialties has customers on record with 500,000 miles on their trucks and are still using the original set of injectors.

Gabrelcik, who has been in the industry for over 14 years, founded Lubrication Specialties in 1997. He has extensive experience working with vibration analysis, oil reclamation, and lubrication consulting with countless national and local companies. For more information, please call 800-341-6516 or visit www.lubricationspecialties.com

Last edited by supertruck60; 06-18-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: remove formatting
Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
seth1
Senior User
since the problem occured i've changed the fuel filters about 3 or 4 times..

i've heard about the wire harness problems and when i had it in a shop they said the harnesses looked fine.

now yesterday i started it up and it ran fine for about 20 seconds then started running like an injector was out. now im thinking maybe im having problems with the inside of my tank breaking down. i have heard some stuff but not alot. could this be possible? can i just un hook my fuel lines to the tank and use air to blow them out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: accidently put gasoline engine oil in my 6.0 diesel