1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

92 ranger 4x4 ext cab coil spring and ID help

Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 PM
juice90
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 ranger 4x4 ext cab coil spring and ID help

Hi all.. changeing shocks on my dads 92 ranger ext 4x4 today and 2 problems come up.

The first, is.. has anybody heard of a ranger " Tall boy"?????? when I got the shocks, they asked if it was a reg 4x4 or a tall boy version.

the second, more serious prob is, upon removal of the pass side wheel, discovered a broken coil spring. Been this way for awhile.

Now, the coils that are currently on the truck, appear to have sum kinda bolt and adjuster welded at the botom, between two coils... Near as I can figure, this is to adjust sag in the spring? or maybe the rate???? The one that is broken, is completly gone. Looks like maybe it slipped and twisted and broke the coil spring.Drivers side one is still there, but looks as if it is starting to slip off to the side now too.

Next question... In looking on the net for replacement springs, I can't seem to find anything for the ext cab 4x4. Wheel base is 125 or 126 inches measured.Found a listing for a 125 inch 2 wheel drive, but not 4x4.

Yet all the springs that I have found seem to measure out the same.. sumthing like 3.5 inches round,and 11 inches compressed.The only differnces seem to be in whether or not the truck is 2.9, 3.0 or 4.0 engine size. ( this is a 4.0 btw) Compressed spring is 11 inches.

So my question would be, can I use the 4.0 springs from a truck listed with a shorter wheel base?

The closest I have found so far, searching on the net is this : Fits: Front Suspension, 4WD, Regular Cab, 107.9", 113.9" Wheel Base, Heavy Duty, Variable Rate.

Moog part numbers MCC840 or MCC842

Please help......................

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
I checked with O'Reilly Auto Parts and came up with Moog #CC866 for your application. No mention of a "tall boy". Not sure if you have that chain store in Canada.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:10 AM
lowdownndirty
Junior User
\QUOTE=juice90;7618106]Hi all.. changeing shocks on my dads 92 ranger ext 4x4 today and 2 problems come up.

The first, is.. has anybody heard of a ranger " Tall boy"?????? when I got the shocks, they asked if it was a reg 4x4 or a tall boy version.
Yes, its called the hi rider package, or the sport rider package, its was factory levling kit, came the front of the truck out 1.5 inch of lift

the second, more serious prob is, upon removal of the pass side wheel, discovered a broken coil spring. Been this way for awhile.

Now, the coils that are currently on the truck, appear to have sum kinda bolt and adjuster welded at the botom, between two coils... Near as I can figure, this is to adjust sag in the spring? or maybe the rate???? The one that is broken, is completly gone. Looks like maybe it slipped and twisted and broke the coil spring.Drivers side one is still there, but looks as if it is starting to slip off to the side now too.
Sounds like some home made jim jam junk,there should be a metal "cup" a plastie insulator, the coil spring, a dised washer, then the nut, sorta like this.
Next question... In looking on the net for replacement springs, I can't seem to find anything for the ext cab 4x4. Wheel base is 125 or 126 inches measured.Found a listing for a 125 inch 2 wheel drive, but not 4x4.

Yet all the springs that I have found seem to measure out the same.. sumthing like 3.5 inches round,and 11 inches compressed.The only differnces seem to be in whether or not the truck is 2.9, 3.0 or 4.0 engine size. ( this is a 4.0 btw) Compressed spring is 11 inches.

So my question would be, can I use the 4.0 springs from a truck listed with a shorter wheel base?No it will sag, very fast and sit lower than it should.diffent spring rates, I know with the lifted truck,the super cab 4.0 trucks normaly get about 4inches of lift out of the 6inch springs and have to shim them up or use spacers to get the full 6inches...so you will sag, and sit lower if you get the wrong springs.

The closest I have found so far, searching on the net is this : Fits: Front Suspension, 4WD, Regular Cab, 107.9", 113.9" Wheel Base, Heavy Duty, Variable Rate.

Moog part numbers MCC840 or MCC842

Please help......................[/QUOTE]

If you dont tow alot, and would like the truck to sit level, vs stink bug, you can get a pair of the skyjacker "leveling" coils, also known as 2 inch lift springs.think they run about 125 for the pair.

Also have you looked on rockauto.com for springs? might find them.

if your trying to do this on the chepest route, the explorer springs will work for you, they will just have a slight bit more spring rate to them.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:50 AM
juice90
Junior User
Thanks lowdownndirty for the info. I will maybe take sum pics of the drivers side and post em.The anti sag do dads appear to be factory, or an aftermarket maybe. Definatly wern't done by a do it ur selfer.But thinking about it, I seem to remeber there being a couple of rubber inserts in the coils springs at one time as well, and neither are there.The truck sits more or less level as far as I can see still anyways, except for maybe a slight lean on the pass side.

As far as towing, the truck seldom does. Its my dads truck and he is 84 yrs old, and about the most it does is run for the mail and groceries and twice weekly beer runs.. lol.

But I will post pics hopefully today and maybe you could verify what is suppost to be in it for springs.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 AM
lowdownndirty
Junior User
those coil spring inserts are known to cause springs to break if they get bottomed out, as it cuases the spring to go in to coil bind

think, like snapping a pencial, if you put it over your middle finger, and under the pointer finger and the index finger, then slaming your hand on to your knee...who would have ever thought 3rd grade antics ever would come in to real life to describe something.....

yeah yeah, I was the class clown during spelling can you tell? hahaa

somethign else, after the new springs you will have to take the truck in for aliment also...and you may need eccentric bushing to correct the camber and caster..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
dasboost
New User
Hi, got an '88 Ranger 4x4 (2.9l orig. swapped for 4.0l) with 2" coil spacers in front. Total lift under load (4.0 v6) from top of coil to TTB arm is 12". Compressed spring is only 9.5"-10" total putting the rig on the bump stops without the spacers. Springs shot? I wheel the hell of of this thing. Anyone know the total spring length compressed of an 88 ranger with known good springs? 4.0 is probably heavier than 2.9 but even still, I was a lot higher in days past. Starting to get serious tire wear from camber issues.