Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard tonneau recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-1999, 06:46 PM
Steve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 Lightning coming and wanted to know if anyone out there is thrilled with the make of hard tonneau they purchased? I would only buy one that used a clamp type install, as opposed to drilling holes, method.

thanks..Steve

Old 07-16-1999, 03:31 PM
unaFORDable
Freshman User

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-99 AT 04:33&nbsp;PM (EST)</font></center>

I've had an ARE on my 97 for 3 years now. (pick-up date on the truck was July 96) It does clamp on, no drilling. Also it completely covers the black rail covers. (I don't know if Lightings have those) And it's molded to conform with the Ford body style. It's held up with hydrolic arms which have both had to be replaced. ARE did this at no charge to me. And the lock broke and ARE charged me $20 total (parts & labor) to fix it. It's perfectly matched to my truck and has never leaked. All in all, I like it very much.

Old 08-10-1999, 11:38 AM
seacrow

I have an ARE also and I love mine. They have redesigned the lock and handle, it looks a lot better. I have not had one problem or any leaks.
I think they look the best.

Old 08-19-1999, 03:27 PM
Jeff
Junior User

You may want to check out 2 companies. Specialty Covers (speacialtycovers.com) and Pace-Edwards (pace-edwards.com). They make a hard cover that retracts into a small cannister mounted just below the rear windows. Really cool. Gives you the ability to have full pickup functionality without having to remove and store the cover. Speciality Covers model is actually electric and retracts via a remote.

Old 09-17-1999, 06:06 AM
boomer
New User

I fought with the idea of putting a fiberglass cover on my truck for a long time. I finally decided to go with the "roll and lock" brand. This is an aluminum cover that retracts into a container mounted below the rear window. It payed for itself the first weekend I had it. It looks sharp, mounts to the bed without drilling, provides a lockable / water esistant storage area and gives you full acces to the truck bed if needed (I tow a fifth wheel). I have had so many compliments on this cover. The price was 1,100.00 intalled.

Old 09-20-1999, 03:55 PM
roy
New User

Steve:
I just put on a Snugtop hard tonneau and i love it. It was about $600 installed (Central California) and the installation was fast and neat. Some minor drilling is necessary but its not bad. The Snugtop completely covers the black plastic rails and locks for security. The extra weight also helps cut down on "freeway hop". I highly recommend the Snugtop lid.

Old 10-04-1999, 05:11 PM
bill_1
New User

if all you want is a lid then there are some good ones like snugtop or ARE etc. I have been looking for one that i could get to the front of the cab e.g. fold-a-cover or aero-cover . no dice for the new flare side.
BUT i have had my Lightning for a month. and no matter what I can't buy for it, I turn off the radio just to listen to it whine... grin.

Old 10-06-1999, 12:06 PM
caddpro

I have a flairside too and really cuts the available brands down. I have found one that looks great from Eastcoast Customs ($389) called the Slim-Top www.eastcoastcustoms.com

Old 10-31-1999, 06:56 PM
J.

>You may want to check out 2
>companies. Specialty Covers (speacialtycovers.com) and Pace-Edwards
>(pace-edwards.com). They make a hard cover
>that retracts into a small cannister
>mounted just below the rear windows.
>Really cool. Gives you the ability
>to have full pickup functionality without
>having to remove and store the
>cover. Speciality Covers model is actually
>electric and retracts via a remote.
>

Can the cover be removed completely? Does it require drilling. Can it be installed with a bed liner.

Old 11-01-1999, 11:07 AM
Captain Roy

The Dec 99 issue of Truck Trend has a feature on the new Harley-Davidson F150. The special H-D edition has a really neat hard tonneau that has a small spoiler kickup molded in. The article sez this tonneau will be available as an aftermaket item, apparently from Ford. I have a Snuglid but would now like to trade and get the H-D tonneau.
Unknown what price will be

Old 11-16-1999, 10:42 PM
brickyard_dog
New User