Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

June BS Thread, All Welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
June BS Thread, All Welcome!

Another month is gone.....................

Old 06-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Another month is gone.....................
Aint that the truth!.........And the weather has been SO good, I have been obligated to doing everything ELSE but check up on my friends in the chapter.........So far, this is the kind of weather that makes one feel like being anywhere else than inside!.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man it has been rainning over here so bad the last couple of days, I feel like I'm on the wrong side of the mountians.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Been pretty nice here. We had one Thunderstorm on Sat that dumped 1" in an hour, but nothing since. A little cooler (high 70's). Last week we had high 90's.................I'm liking it!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Was camped at Crane Prairie for 4 days, fantastic weather, lots of sun punctuated by fantastic thunderstorms and rain, followed by more sun.........Great fishing too!.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 PM
kjvforme
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how bad was the weather over in the central part of the State? It's supposed to be pretty bad here, but it only flashed a couple of times. The wind did pick up a little but nothing bad. Wish it would stop raining so I can bleed the brakes again.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Weather on the westside got crazy, BAD thunderstorms in the Central Willamette valley. Weather was pretty crazy in the high country last wknd.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The weather got pretty intense here yesterday. While at work, the storm rolled in. We went outside and actually got to watch the high and low pressures collide. It formed a massive squall line right in front of us. Within a few minutes, we got to watch it travel a little further north, at which point, it drew enough wet hot air into the squall line that it started it's upward motion. We were given the very rare opportunity to watch the formation of a Mesocyclone. I got home, and got on the NOAA site to check the doppler both base and composite reflectivity in loop. I got to see it unfold right there on the radar, and it can only be described as the most amazing weather I have ever seen unfold right in front of my eyes. The storm that developed yesterday, had all the right makings for the disasterous weather of the mid west. We watched, and you can rarely actually see them, updraft formation suck leaves and small debris right off the ground. We then, got to see the effects of numerous down bursts. Then, we even got to see a few random cyclonic funnels dip out of the bottom of the primary mesocyclonic cumulonimbus feature. Though they did not "confirm" actual tornado activity in the state of Oregon yesterday, I do know that we had funnels and down drafts, and downbursts all over the place. A weather watchers dream come true. The only thing that would of been better, would to see the actual formation from start to finish of a similar system that actually spawns cloud to ground cyclonic phenomena (tornadoes). I've seen first hand the weather of hurricanes, and blizzards, and such, but have yet to personally see, face to face, a tornadic storm. My fingers are crossed for more of that action in these next few storm cells.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Supposedly there was a funnel cloud sighted near Detroit lake yesterday, weird weather for Oregon.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Global Warming....................

Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Not really that wierd. Oregon has two tornado seasons. We are barely into the first, and the second is in mid to late September. We actually average one tornado per year. Rarely do they get as intense or as powerful as those of the Great Plains. Last year, we stood outside and watched several dips from a weak Mesocyclonic formation. That was in early September. Yesterdays weather was indeed abnormal, as we general don't get a northern high pressure system that confronts a southerly low. It's usually the opposite. The squall lines generally form off the Oregon coast, and move inland, or they form over the Cascades. Remember though, that a funnel cloud is not the same as a tornado. It has to contact the ground in order to be tornadic. Funnels are very common in Oregon spring/fall seasonal weather. We average hundreds of funnels per year, but the vast area of uninhabited lands makes most go unnoticed.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
I don't about warming...... It actually got about 25* cooler during and after the storm front passed.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:33 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
hi all,
the storm yesterday did produce a few funnels but they never touched the ground!
i did notice the wind change direction quite a few times. but mostly moving in a typical funnel fashion, which is a circular. what i thought was weird is the storm was moving in the wrong direction. usually they move to SSE not from the SSE! trust me i lived in omaha for 42 years i know. i went threw the tornado of 1975 there, that was an F5!
packing wind gusts of up 200mph! and very destructive! i was a teen then and joe we lost everything! the only part of our house that was standing was the bathroom and there was 5 of us in there. and it was in the center of the house with no windows.
we found my moms car 2 blocks away wedged in an oak tree.... that 1 destroyed everything in a 10 mile radius! it sounded like a very large freight train passin' thru!
and very loud!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:43 PM
jerg_064
Senior User
There's an old path on Long Creek mountain that still barely noticable, legend goes a tornado ripped through there before I was born. And we usually have 1 or 2 wind storms up around 80mph +/- a year in LC. It turned over a single wide just under a decade ago.

Other the other hand, it's over 110* in northern Iraq these days. As early in the warm season as we are it should easily be over 130* maybe 140* before I leave in Sept. Good news is I'm on nights so I don't feel the heat so much, and.......... I'm past the half-way mark of my tour.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
good your almost out of there then!

Quick Reply: June BS Thread, All Welcome!