1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission fluid change

Me 2003 7.3 4R110 needs a tranny fluid change. It has 130,000 miles and I have only put 10,000 miles on it. I have no record of the tranny service being done. I have been thinking about going synthetic, but understand that it is hard to drain the T/C. Can they synthetic be mixed with what will be left in the T/C without problems? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks to all who respond. You guys are always a big help. Jim

Old 05-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Try this...

Tt was written by former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer, Mark Kovalsky. He's also a member here on FTE.

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

Old 06-21-2009, 11:52 AM
w6pea
Tuned
Trans Fluid Change

I was having a problem with the Trans not shifting correctly(seemed to slip) I took it to a transmission shop, the guy changed the fluid and put some kind of additive in the trans. Worked great until yesterday. I went down an 11% grade. Put the trans in second to keep it below 35 going down hill.
Guess I should have had it rebuilt in April, instead of trying to save a few bucks, when I was on my way home I had to go back up that hill had to stop about half way up the hill behind a bus. Now when the trans shifts in feels like the trans is slamming into gear. So I guess it time to pull the trans and get it rebuilt the trans has 175000 miles on it.
Question take it to a Ford dealer or a transmission shop.
the guy that changed the fluid said he would rebuild for $2600.00, but I am kind of leery of this guy. At least he speaks English.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by w6pea
I was having a problem with the Trans not shifting correctly(seemed to slip) I took it to a transmission shop, the guy changed the fluid and put some kind of additive in the trans. Worked great until yesterday. I went down an 11% grade. Put the trans in second to keep it below 35 going down hill.
Guess I should have had it rebuilt in April, instead of trying to save a few bucks, when I was on my way home I had to go back up that hill had to stop about half way up the hill behind a bus. Now when the trans shifts in feels like the trans is slamming into gear. So I guess it time to pull the trans and get it rebuilt the trans has 175000 miles on it.
Question take it to a Ford dealer or a transmission shop.
the guy that changed the fluid said he would rebuild for $2600.00, but I am kind of leery of this guy. At least he speaks English.
Check out Jasper:

JASPER Engines & Transmissions: Remanufactured engine: diesel, marine, import

VEHICLE OWNERS FIND A PRICE

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><FORM name=custForm action=catalog.asp method=post>Find the Perfect Product
LD | Ford | 1995 | F-250 | XLT | Transmission | 5604050
<TABLE width=580><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #000000; LINE-HEIGHT: 14px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, arial, helvetica" vAlign=top>
OK... now that you know what quality JASPER component you'd like to put in your vehicle, it's time to find the right installer. JASPER is affiliated with thousands of professional mechanics and auto repair shops throughout the country and will help you find one in your area. Just click on the icon on the right and we'll give you a list of installers in your area. Then contact the one you'd like to work with, and before you know it, you'll be driving off with a quality JASPER remanufactured component under the hood and a big smile on your face. <!-- webim button -->
<!-- / webim button --></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>RWD 4WD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
SPEED SENSOR,3.50-4.10 AXLE RATIO,20 BOLT PAN

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>Price: </TD><TD align=right>2325.00</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Core Charge: </TD><TD align=right>300.00</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Skid Charge: </TD><TD align=right>100.00</TD><TD></TD></TR><INPUT type=hidden name=sMLPS><INPUT type=hidden name=sKit><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=iCoolerFlag> <TR><TD align=right>Premium Service Plan Price: </TD><TD> 290.00</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right colSpan=2>Premium Service Plan Type: </TD><TD vAlign=top><SELECT style="FONT: menu" onchange="document.custForm.sCart_Action.value=''; jhSubmit_Stock('5604050');" name=sPSP><OPTION value=PSP-18 selected>PSP TRANSMISSION $125MAX LABOR</OPTION><OPTION value=PSP-17>PSP TRANSMISSION $95 MAX LABOR</OPTION><OPTION value=PSP-16>PSP TRANSMISSION $75 MAX LABOR</OPTION></SELECT>
(Premium Service Plan Exclusions: This program excludes
gas engines, transmissions and differentials in applications 1-ton
and larger, and running complete diesel engines in applications
larger than 1-ton.
</TD></TR><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=iPSPChecked><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=sQty></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Important | Updates | Notes | Photos | Delivery Charges</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Important:</TD><TD>As you are well aware, the fluid cooler system is critical to the proper and warrantable service of your JASPER Transmission. Because you are inspecting and servicing the fluid cooler system during installation, it is your responsibility to verify the system is free of contamination and has proper cooler flow. In order of preference, here are some options to ensure proper flow. 1. REPLACE WITH A NEW SYSTEM (RADIATOR): Check flow to assure lines are clear. Check for proper operation of the checkvalve, where applicable. There are special applications where JASPER requires cooler replacement. For these cases JASPER provides a cooler kit with the unit. Installation of the cooler is MANDATORY on these applications or warranty may be void. 2. REPLACE WITH AN EXTERNAL SYSTEM: On applications where air flow could be restricted, a cooler fan would be required or the installation of an oil-to-coolant style system 3. FLUSH THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM: JASPER recommends hydraulic shock flushers, with the heated models being the preferred option. In all cases, always flow-test at operating temperature. Compare the volume exiting the transmission to the volume where it returns to the transmission. NOTE: JASPER does NOT consider Flush in a Can effective and therefore not an acceptable method of flushing.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Updates:</TD><TD>This transmission comes with a NEW MLPS Switch--currently called the
TRS (transmission range sensor).
1. JASPER includes a NEW Hayden cooler with larger (3/8 inch) steel
braided lines to increase lubricant flow for extended service life.
2. The converter will receive a NEW lock-up piston, and a custom
forged front cover that is .235 (235 thousanths) thicker to prevent
converter failure.
3. A NEW overdrive spag is installed for increased durability.
4. A 2 roller bearing is installed in the center support for
additional support of the intermediate shaft and longer life.
5. A heavier converter clutch regulator spring is installed for
increased lock-up pressure.
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD><TD>INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
OEM specifies DEXRON III/MERCON fluid for this application. If this
fluid is not used, warranty will be void.

Installation of the JASPER supplied cooler kit is mandatory or
warranty is void. See cooler installation instructions in cooler
packaging.

This transmission comes with a new MLPS switch. The wiring harness
provided will be for use on 1989 - 1994 vehicles to update vehicle
harness.
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Notes:</TD><TD>Product summary: Unit is an electronically controlled 4 speed automatic with overdrive. The ID tag is located on left rear corner of the case. Electric connector is located on the right rear corner of the case. Unit has 20 pan bolts. The case and bell housing are one piece.
Assy/code: PRA-BB1 PRA-BC,10 PRA-JAA,10 F5TP-CA F5TP-CB F5TP-HA F5TP-HB
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Photos:</TD><TD vAlign=top>******** language=JavaScript>function picPop(URL){options="toolbars=0,status=0,menubar=0 ,scrollbars=0,resizable=0,width=660,height=500,lef t=0,top=0";myWindow=window.open(URL, "myWindow", options);}*********>E40D IDENTIFICATION
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Delivery Charges:</TD><TD>Jasper Engines and Transmissions will deliver Jasper products free
of charge on our own branch delivery trucks. Those units needing to
be freighted may be subject to a nominal freight charge based on the
shipping distance. Call 800-827-7455 Ext. 8750 for specific charges.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
w6pea
Tuned
Andrew

Thank you for the link. I found a Jasper installer, called him.
He's located about 7.6 miles from me as per the Jasper installer location link.
He gave me a quote and he will replace the rear main seal in the motor. For only $375. bucks more than the guy that gave me the original quote.
The other guy was only going to guarantee the trans for 6 months.
The shop that I called today will guarantee his work for 12 months and the Transmission is guaranteed for 3 years 100,000 miles. So out the door it's only $3236.06 out the door. If I have the truck to him by 0800 hrs on Wednesday he said he would have it back to me by close of business that same day.

Again a BIG THANK YOU for the link

Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Ha! Glad to help w6pea! Let us know how you like the new Jasper transmission as we are all going to be in your situation sooner or later.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 AM
w6pea
Tuned
Update

I got a call yesterday morning from my Mechanic that was installing the trans. He said that Jasper called and told him he would not get the trans until Monday 6-28-09, he said no way. Called the local Ford dealer, they had a rebuild in stock. Here's the kicker it was 300 bucks less. Any way to make a long story short, I got my truck back this morning. I purposely went over to the 11% grade I drove up and drove up the hill and down the hill trans work like a dream shifted smooth as cutting butter with a hot knife .

The best part is that Ford Warranties this trans for 3 years and or 100,000 miles.

I am not putting down Jasper....but OEM parts always seem better than replacement after market parts.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Glad to hear that you found a great transmission at a great price!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
w6pea
Tuned
I am thankful that you gave me the link to Jasper. Without that link I would never have thought about going to this mechanic. Even though I drive past his shop several times a week. They Jasper have a great website and have great prices. I talked to a friend in the service department where I take my E-450 for service. (I would love to be able to take it to Rose automotive in Spring Valley but my E450 will not fit in his shop.) Any way Ford has lowered their Transmission and rebuilt motor prices to be able to compete with Jasper and also increased their warranty.

About the mechanic what I like about Parrish is that everybody that works there speaks English. And they are a bunch of Rednecks