1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

4.6 Mod Motor in 66 F100

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Below is a link to a post I created last spring when I started my MOD motor swap. I went with a SOHC 4.6L with matching automatic transmission. The pickup runs great with this combo and I highly recommend the swap.

As far as electronics, I am NOT running any cat's but I am using the O2 sensors that would be placed in front of the cat's. Those are needed to regulate the air fuel mixture of the engine. The O2 sensors that would go behind the cat's are not used in my application as they are only used to ensure the cat is doing it's job. I am not running anything on the EVAP system that send fumes back to the gas tank. I did leave the valve plugged in to keep from tripping an error code but nothing else is hooked up. I also did not use anything on the A/C or anti lock brakes. I was lucky to have the entire wire harness and computer from my donor car so the swap was pretty straight forward. All of my progress and troubles are listed in the link below. The swap has been worth it as it runs very well now. electronic fuel injection is the way to go!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...has-begun.html

Jeff

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 AM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jeff. many thanks. that is going to be soooo helpful if i go through with the swap. my biggest concern right now is of course the PATS computer. in 95 it obvioulsy wasnt an issue.

i dont have a ton of options right now and i am hoping something will shake out like:
a. cop cars didnt have PATS (have not been able to confirm, later models definately did, not sure about 04
b. i can get the computer re-chiped/programmed for no PATS and still run a stock harness.
c. i can use an older non pats computer and still shake 250 hp out of the motor.

i went and looked at the motor today. i dont know how to tell if it is what they say it is, 04 P71. it did seem to have the external oil cooler thing which may be a nightmare as i have no idea how to hook it up. just want o make sure im getting a late model PI motor capable of the 250 hp the cop cars had that year.

can anyone translate this casting onthe head:
RF-IL2E-6090-D22D

there was also a sticker onthe head the that read
4.6 (2VL4-PI)4S
02/09/ 4

the trans had a manufacture date of 05/02/04, which guess is a good sign although the tag was removable and could have been swapped.

anyway, its looking more promising. i have a garge full of FE parts (intake, headers, brand new street avenger carb) and a virgin 390 long block at my disposal, as well as a rebuilt C6. so this 4.6 option needs to stay in the budget, which is about 400 bucks that i can spend on the "computer" issue. i have neither time nor money... but less money so if there is something a little more labor/research/thought intensive that'll save me the money, i might go for it to get the overdirve trans and fuelie motor.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
My engine had a factory oil cooler as well, it was hooked directly to the oil filter housing. I removed the factory fittings and installed regular pipe fittings that were necked down to barbed fittings and I then used rubber oil line and ran them to a cooler mounted in front of the radiator just like a transmission oil cooler. The factory piece used engine coolant and would have been very difficult to route in my pickup.

Jeff

Old 05-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 66shortbed
jeff. many thanks. that is going to be soooo helpful if i go through with the swap. my biggest concern right now is of course the PATS computer. in 95 it obvioulsy wasnt an issue.

i dont have a ton of options right now and i am hoping something will shake out like:
a. cop cars didnt have PATS (have not been able to confirm, later models definately did, not sure about 04
b. i can get the computer re-chiped/programmed for no PATS and still run a stock harness.
c. i can use an older non pats computer and still shake 250 hp out of the motor.

i went and looked at the motor today. i dont know how to tell if it is what they say it is, 04 P71. it did seem to have the external oil cooler thing which may be a nightmare as i have no idea how to hook it up. just want o make sure im getting a late model PI motor capable of the 250 hp the cop cars had that year.

can anyone translate this casting onthe head:
RF-IL2E-6090-D22D

there was also a sticker onthe head the that read
4.6 (2VL4-PI)4S
02/09/ 4

the trans had a manufacture date of 05/02/04, which guess is a good sign although the tag was removable and could have been swapped.

anyway, its looking more promising. i have a garge full of FE parts (intake, headers, brand new street avenger carb) and a virgin 390 long block at my disposal, as well as a rebuilt C6. so this 4.6 option needs to stay in the budget, which is about 400 bucks that i can spend on the "computer" issue. i have neither time nor money... but less money so if there is something a little more labor/research/thought intensive that'll save me the money, i might go for it to get the overdirve trans and fuelie motor.
66shortbed

I have a ( 94 crown vic LX ) and I also have a ( 98 crown vic P 71 copcar X maggie Valley N.C. )

Neither car has the (PATS) I do know most owners of the ( P 71 ) want computers from the

98 C. V , PI they have the best factory settings , shift points , Idle............................

The Head castings are ( 02 P. I . )>>Performance improved>> that is where the Extra H.P.

comes from and of coarse the crapy intake !

P.S. I think it would be a smart move on your part to read up even more than you already have !

LINK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

there are others ( crown vic muscle ) ............

Wally Womack

Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
If you do not have much money to spend you are better off to go with the 390 build especially if you have the bulk of the parts. That engine along with the C6 is a very simple drop in setup with the only mod being the drive shaft depending on what transmission your pickup currently has.

With the 4.6L swap you are going to need to make motor mounts or purchase some aftermarket ones, get a high pressure fuel pump and all the plumbing that goes with it, an external transmission cooler as the one in the radiator is not good enough for the AODE/4R70W/4R75W family of transmission, a remote oil filter base as the current filter will not clear the cross member in those old trucks, and I am sure there are way more items I am forgeting that you can read through on that link I proivided you of my swap. Counting the transmission rebuilds and parts I estimate I have 2000-3000 dollars to complete the swap.

I am not trying to discourage you from the swap as I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested, but there is some expense to it as there are a lot of little items that are easily forgoten that are needed to complete the swap.

Jeff

Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblockford_390
If you do not have much money to spend you are better off to go with the 390 build especially if you have the bulk of the parts. That engine along with the C6 is a very simple drop in setup with the only mod being the drive shaft depending on what transmission your pickup currently has.

With the 4.6L swap you are going to need to make motor mounts or purchase some aftermarket ones, get a high pressure fuel pump and all the plumbing that goes with it, an external transmission cooler as the one in the radiator is not good enough for the AODE/4R70W/4R75W family of transmission, a remote oil filter base as the current filter will not clear the cross member in those old trucks, and I am sure there are way more items I am forgeting that you can read through on that link I proivided you of my swap. Counting the transmission rebuilds and parts I estimate I have 2000-3000 dollars to complete the swap.

I am not trying to discourage you from the swap as I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested, but there is some expense to it as there are a lot of little items that are easily forgoten that are needed to complete the swap.

Jeff
His motor mount and oil filter issues should already be resolved since he intends to use the Crown Vic suspension. The other stuff still applies though.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Rusty 63
Senior User
I ended up getting the whole wrecked 04 CV PI for my swap -- in the dismantling process.... fun stuff. There's a LOT of wires in the car, but I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, I've got the diagrams, and I labeled EVERY connector & harness chunk as I unwired the car. I only cut 8 wires - and they ran to the door latches - but I labeled them anyway. 4 of those will go away since I've got a 2 door truck & a 4 door parts car....

I figure that I can put the harness on a diet as needed, and take it from there.

Having a police interceptor, I don't have the PATS to contend with. The biggest issues I foresee right now are getting the different controls (ignition switch, wipers, etc) hooked up to the new wiring. But really, that's a matter of hunt & peck until I've got it sorted. And even if I went for one of the "services" that'll "fix" the harness for a few hundred bucks - I'd still have to do that anyway.

You making any progress on yours?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Ford Power Parts released a stand alone harness for the 4.6, although I think it might be cost prohibitive.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red2003XLT
Ford Power Parts released a stand alone harness for the 4.6, although I think it might be cost prohibitive.
I think that harness is for the 4.6 3V engine only and includes most everything to install it in another vehicle for $1350.
Ford Racing Performance Parts - [Part Details]

Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy
I think that harness is for the 4.6 3V engine only and includes most everything to install it in another vehicle for $1350.
Ford Racing Performance Parts - [Part Details]
Do they make a Tranny controller?