Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear drum brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:45 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear drum brake adjustment

How do I properly adjust my rear drum brakes?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gthbryce

same as any other drum brake, tighten 'till wheel can't move, back off until rotates one revolution.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:47 PM
goodB0Y
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the rear brakes are adjusted through the adjuster hole in back of the backing plate on the bottom. the star wheel is suposed to only move one way but most including mine moves freely both ways as the teeth on the star wheel dont engage the clicker thing properly. If you over adjust the wheel and find it difficult to back off you can try to force it and it might back off... or a screwdriver to push the clicker thing away from the star wheel and then de-adjust. I adjust my brakes till I get just a light drag from the brakes when I spin the wheel while it's jacked up.

don't forget jack stands! seen a car fall on a guy adjusting his brakes... it was ugly.

hope that helps

Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gthbryce

If you're installing new brake shoes as mentioned you can adjust the star wheel until they barely touch the drum. Then back the star wheel off a turn or two.

The rear drum brakes are designed to self adjust as you back up and apply the brakes while moving in reverse.

Keep doing that until you get the proper brake pedal travel. The brakes will self adjust until the proper clearance between the brake shoe and drum is reached.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
the self adjusters do not always work.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by quicklook2
the self adjusters do not always work.
Then there is a mechanical problem that needs to be fixed.

It's a very simple design. To test if the self adjuster works, with the drum off, you pull up on the small cable with a hook on it. Release the cable and the cable allows a lever to contact a tooth on the star wheel. If a full tooth is engaged, the lever will turn the star wheel to spread the brake shoes closer to the drum.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
that is not self adjusting, that is assisted adjusting.

i have found that maybe they worked when new but over time they do not self adjust anymore.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Ford documentation refers to the rear brake adjustment as automatic.

There is no control of the adjustment. Ir's automatically done as the brake shoe lining wears down.

Name:  fordbrakeinfo.jpg
Views: 46022
Size:  53.3 KB

Old 05-23-2009, 09:18 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
it seems like you are not going to listen to any other opinion that is different then your own.

good luck with that.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:05 AM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Look in a mirror and you'll see what the problem is. Oh wait you can't see your ego.

You made a statement about the terminology used about how the rear brakes adjusted. I provided information from the Factory Shop manual indicating the term is called automatic and not assisted. You never responded other than saying I have a one track mind.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:30 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
whatever.

when these trucks were new, and serviced by ford under warranty, then maybe the rear brakes were serviced correctly.

i find that the rear brakes are often overlooked and the self adjusters do not work correctly anymore.

surely some others have had problems with the self adjusters not working.

lastly, i could care less if you read my posts or like what i say.

QL2

Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Your response to this post has added nothing in helping answer the original posters question.

Here is one of your responses.

that is not self adjusting, that is assisted adjusting.
Wrong!

i have found that maybe they worked when new but over time they do not self adjust anymore.
So why don't you tell everyone what the fix is? As I mentioned, if the rear brakes don't automatically adjust they need to be fixed. I gave a simple explanation on how they self adjust. What useful information have you provided?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the wheels do or don't have to be removed to do the adjusting?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Dirt racer
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to remove the wheels. Just get them off the ground with jack stands, blocks on the front wheels and put it in neutral. Then remove the rubber piece that covers the hole. Using the proper bent tool or a bent screwdriver adjust the wheel for tightening the rear brakes till you feel a slight drag on the wheel. Then I like to press the brakes to check for brake height and to see if you like the feel. The back brakes will give you that height as long as there is no air in the front brakes. Keep adjusting till you are happy with it. I have found that the self adjusters sometimes work and sometimes don't. They can wear out over time. Again I like to adjust mine till they just start to rub on the drums. Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:46 AM
goodB0Y
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dirt racer is right you don't have to remove the wheels to adjust the brakes... I don't know your level of knowledge of drum brakes but if your unfamiliar with the inner workings of them you might want to take a wheel and drum off to see how it all works. At the top is the wheel cylinder, the shoes are on the sides and the star wheel we have been talking about is at the bottom... that's how the brakes are adjusted. You'll also see a bunch of springs and cables... the important thing is to not mess with anything if your unsure what your doing...and it's super important you don't apply the brakes while the drum is off... forgive me if you already know this stuff... I don't know if you do... brakes are relatively simple in design and operation but not to be messed with if you don't have any experience working with them...

If you have any more questions feel free to ask... the majority of people here are usually very friendly and more than happy to answer them....

Quick Reply: Rear drum brake adjustment