New Mexico Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 PM
jaynalbu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some suggestions

I, about 4mos ago, bought another Ford. My most recent purchase was an 02 F150 4x4 5.4. A few weeks ago I noticed that the tranny was shifting a little hard from 1st to 2nd gear. I also noticed that when I would have to stop rather quickly it would down shift rough as well. Not as bad as when shifting up, but you can feel it. One day I stopped in AAMCO to get it looked at and the guy was said it was something inside the tranny. This took him about 4mins and he never even look under, around or near the truck. He stated that this is a common problem and that it would cost me about 1k to get started. I politely declined and left. Ever since the shifting is getting worse. I have to almost let off the gas as if I was driving a standard and was shifting to keep it from doing this.

1. Any thoughts?

2 Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jason
PS I have just under 96k miles.
Thanks again

Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 AM
BChance
Elder User
Jay... good to see you!

I would definitely do a fluid and filter change asap.. also check for an in line filter.. I know some had them, I don't remember which, or if all did. If it helps, do it again in about 3000 miles, then every 10k or so as long as it lasts...Also consider adding a half bottle or so of that Lucas tranny stuff if it is still harsh, but by all means, filter and fluid change.. NOT A FLUSH....

What happens is the tranny computer pegs the pump pressure to compensate for wear and slippage..thus the harsh shifts..and why AAMCO said what they did....in my experience, sometimes a fluid change with a new filter will usually help out since the fresh fluid is better than old varnishy burnt fluid for avoiding slippage. Emphasis on usually.

I will say, if that is the case, its days are getting numbered.. but on the other hand I have seen simple fluid changes keep them happy enough to run for thousands of miles after they get harsh. Luck of the draw....

On the other other hand, mine went belly up.... fast... and had to be replaced. Sometimes you win one, sometimes not so much...I had about 8000 lbs behind it when it went....FWIW, if you DO need a rebuild, Kellys always treated me good when I was in Alb....and I have never had a referral to them come back unhappy.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:03 PM
jaynalbu
Senior User
Hey B,
Its good to hear from you to. Its been a while. As I am sure you aware, life has a way of getting in the way of all the fun stuff.

Thanks for your advise and your referral. I am curious as to why you say not to do a flush but rather a change. Please explain the difference's.

Thanks
Jay

Old 05-17-2009, 12:56 PM
RDJ184
Postmaster
Flush they donnt do the filter!!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
BChance
Elder User
Originally Posted by jaynalbu
Hey B,
Its good to hear from you to. Its been a while. As I am sure you aware, life has a way of getting in the way of all the fun stuff.

Thanks for your advise and your referral. I am curious as to why you say not to do a flush but rather a change. Please explain the difference's.

Thanks
Jay
It certainly does. But, it beats the alternative!

Flush is where they hook it to a machine and pump pressurized fluid through the tranny.. On one doing what yours is doing it almost guarantees total failure. It washes all the buildup out of the internals.. which seems like it would be a good thing, but when they are already at this point, they rely on the buildup it seems. Fluid change is just drain it, new filter and refill it, and leaves the buildup in place, but with the new fluid they will sometimes stop slipping enough that the computer backs off the pump pressure and they even out for awhile. Sometimes for a long while.. The Lucas seems to help as well...although I am not sure if it is just because it is thicker, or helps chemically with the slipping...either way, it seems to help...

My boys Acura was doing this.. fairly badly..I was already looking for a transmission.. but.. I did 3 fluid changes over two weeks, added some Lucas, and it feels perfect still, 4500 miles later. Each change made a noted improvement, and the Lucas made it feel completely normal. On the Acura, I could not drain the torque converter, so I was doing about 1/3 fluid at a time, but after the 3rd change and the Lucas, it is as good as it can be so....so far, it's good....

Old 05-17-2009, 04:36 PM
jaynalbu
Senior User
Originally Posted by BChance
It certainly does. But, it beats the alternative!

Flush is where they hook it to a machine and pump pressurized fluid through the tranny.. On one doing what yours is doing it almost guarantees total failure. It washes all the buildup out of the internals.. which seems like it would be a good thing, but when they are already at this point, they rely on the buildup it seems. Fluid change is just drain it, new filter and refill it, and leaves the buildup in place, but with the new fluid they will sometimes stop slipping enough that the computer backs off the pump pressure and they even out for awhile. Sometimes for a long while.. The Lucas seems to help as well...although I am not sure if it is just because it is thicker, or helps chemically with the slipping...either way, it seems to help...

My boys Acura was doing this.. fairly badly..I was already looking for a transmission.. but.. I did 3 fluid changes over two weeks, added some Lucas, and it feels perfect still, 4500 miles later. Each change made a noted improvement, and the Lucas made it feel completely normal. On the Acura, I could not drain the torque converter, so I was doing about 1/3 fluid at a time, but after the 3rd change and the Lucas, it is as good as it can be so....so far, it's good....

On the Acura, I could not drain the torque converter,

Should I try to drain this (torque converter) aswell? If so how do I do that. I know how to drain and replace the filter.
Thanks
Jay

Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 PM
BChance
Elder User
some of them have a 1/8 pipe plug in them...if you remove the inspection cover and turn the flywheel by hand (well.. by prybar, anyway) if it has it, you will see it. Just pull that plug and let it drip out....

You know.. some say drain it, get all the fluid out you can, others say don't, it is bad for the pump...tell you the truth, I have never had one fail because I drained the converter... but I honestly don't know if your 02 has the drain.. If not, no big deal, change what you can, run it for a bit, change it again, run it... change it.. you get the idea. If you don't have a drain plug on the tranny pan, it is more work and messier....but if it works, it's worth it. You should get a pretty good idea after the initial filter and fluid change if it is going to be any different....

FWIW.. I would do the filter change on the first one.. if it helps do just a fluid change or two, or three, or whatever... If it goes back to normal, THEN I would do one more filter change.. just to be sure... but like I said.. You should know after the first one if it is going to help...

Old 05-17-2009, 06:27 PM
jaynalbu
Senior User
Thanks for all the advise. I will try this out after the 1st. (Payday) and get back to yall to let ya know how it went.
Thanks
Jay

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
sncblue03
Senior User
ya know... My F-250 has taken to doing this same thing... Perhaps a fluid change is in order...

Old 05-18-2009, 04:28 PM
jaynalbu
Senior User
Check that out! I am a Senior User. Does that mean to imply that I am no longer young. Cause my wife keeps telling me this and I brush her off as well!
Jay

Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 304 Likes on 279 Posts
I bought my '01 with around 31K on the clock. Around 63k the tranny started to act up a little. Had the fluid replaced along with the filter and it solved all of the problems that I was having and has ran fine since then. Looking in the owners manual, mine states to do a fluid and filter change every 30k. Assuming that your '02 is like mine, there is a drain plug for the convertor.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
jaynalbu
Senior User
Originally Posted by tiny1
Assuming that your '02 is like mine, there is a drain plug for the convertor.
Are you referring to the plug under the truck? Looks kinda like another oil pan plug?
Thanks
Jay