3.2L Power Stroke The 5 cylinder 3.2 Power Stroke engine fitted to the 2014+ Ford Transit, and new Ford Ranger. Called the 3.2L Duratorq TDCi

2011 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2011 Ranger

Since the F-100 / Ranger replacement is still unknown as is the name, i thought I'd post this here as well as the Ranger forum. Looks weird but promising.

Spied! Ford Ranger "T6" Global Small Pickup - PickupTrucks.com News

Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 131 Likes on 127 Posts
One of the diesel mags, maybe diesel world or the other popular one seen in the stores, had a small article on the global ranger with pick, might of been a current production version. Said the similar thing as this article. Too bad california is ruining in for everyone else in the US as far as diesel emissions. Be nice to ship california over to china and let them clean up that dump first.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
valdor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now im excited 'bout that one. All i heard so far is that the new Ranger 'l be even smaller than the current one. Being from South Africa we only get "EURO Rangers" which is fine but without choices like the F series the truck is a tad small even if payload is great. Cargo Volume often beats outright payload. THE TRUCK LOOKS A WHOLE LOT BIGGER than the current version. Also i got me a hint there might be a 5 cyl 3.2l CDI diesel replacing the Mazda sourced 3.0 duratorq. Like the wheel arches and wide stance. That may slap back at Toy n Nissan who seems to own our "one" tonne market.
Thanks powerstroke for the info!!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
BroncoDually
Mountain Pass
Smile 2011 Ranger

I'd be surprised if Ford brought the Ranger from Australia to the States,And seriously getting rid and/or replace the Ford Ranger would be like shooting your yourself in foot,To me keep the Ranger and drop the (useless) Explorer Sport Trac,Or put the Ranger name on the Explorer Sport Trac

Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 PM
valdor
Senior User
I am not familliar with the explorer pickup, but from what i gather in the forums its kinda used as a SUT? Given A choice, id like to see the Ranger upgraded to midsize in favor of the Explorer truck wich seems to be a leisure tool. Sorry, i know im boring, but i liken a truck to be a workhorse first.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey Valdor...here's a pic of the Explorer Sport Trac:

Old 05-16-2009, 03:03 PM
valdor
Senior User
Man oh man, shes a pretty one! It kinda makes me wish theyd offer it here! It would be a good Nissan Navara (US Frontier) eater. Here they offer the NP 300 (old style frontier) as workhorse and Navara (new frontier) only in crew cab. You guys are spoiled for choice when it comes to trucks...
Mebe they should tuffen up the explorer and offer it Ranger (workhorse) trim...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:06 PM
OldBlueOvalDude
Senior User
Sign me up for one-if it can tow at least as much as our current domestic Ranger. A little disappointed that it's going to be an '12 model, was under the impression that the "World Ranger" was going to be here, in the US, for the '11 model year. Hope my '01 domestic Ranger can last that long. Any word on the towing capacity with the smaller diesel? When the talk was of the 3.0 TD for US markets towing capacity was stated as #6,000. Obviously it won't be that high with the smaller TD.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
valdor
Senior User
Our current version Ranger fitted with the 3.0 diesel is rated to tow 1800kg or 3960lbs. The engine makes good tq, abt 280ftlbs at 1800rpm. However i think the truck is capable of possibly 6000lbs. Think the rating is because in SA we may not tow more than the kerb weight of the truck. Payload is great offcourse, about 2200 to 2800lbs.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, ok. Maybe Im stuck in my ways, but I LIKE the current Ranger. IMO, all they should do is update the interior and make it on par with the rest of the Ford line (I.E.: cupholders in the door panels, overhead storage, etc) and add a crewcab option with AT LEAST a 5ft bed (anything less is worthless) maybe a flow though shift center console like on the F150 and a few more updates.

However, I like the exterior design and trim level options (XL ,XLT, SPORT, FX4) but maybe add a high end trim like a Lariat. Id also like to keep the current platforms and size too and not see it get smaller. I may get one again one day and any smaller and I may be squeezed out of buying one totally. Oh yea : BRING BACK THE FX4 LEVEL 2!

Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
valdor
Senior User
Our version of the Ranger comes with crew cab, very nice addition. Load bed is around 5'5'. Personally id like a 6' bed. Not much going in a 5'5" bed... How long is the US Ranger's Supercab bed? Ours around 5'10". To short for my taste. Id like the Ranger to grow to midsize.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 PM
OldBlueOvalDude
Senior User
I, too, like the current Ranger and have had three of them as daily drivers since 1999. But we are in the minority. As far as size goes- it's not going to be too long and the current sized Ranger will be about the size of a "full sized" truck. Look what happened to cars after the oil embargos. A 1973 four door LTD parked next to a current edition Ford looks like the Queen Mary. IMHO, the current full size trucks will become niche vehicles and not 99% daily driver carrying one passenger/ 1% weekend pick one-boat, enclosed or travel trailer tow, etc. It's simple economics, once gas does (and it will, sooner more so than later) get over $4 per gallon, the land yachts will become worthless to all but the those who need a true work truck.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
valdor
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldBlueOvalDude
I, too, like the current Ranger and have had three of them as daily drivers since 1999. But we are in the minority. As far as size goes- it's not going to be too long and the current sized Ranger will be about the size of a "full sized" truck. Look what happened to cars after the oil embargos. A 1973 four door LTD parked next to a current edition Ford looks like the Queen Mary. IMHO, the current full size trucks will become niche vehicles and not 99% daily driver carrying one passenger/ 1% weekend pick one-boat, enclosed or travel trailer tow, etc. It's simple economics, once gas does (and it will, sooner more so than later) get over $4 per gallon, the land yachts will become worthless to all but the those who need a true work truck.
You are right i reckn. It has happenend long ago in other market places like in my country where Rangers, Hiluxes (Tacomas) etc are already considered to be gawfull big and gets trashed when equipped with 4l V6 engines as gas gusslers. However id like to think that midsize, will probably replace current full size, but with more efficient (more mpg) engines like the US ecoboost and the diesels which are already standard in Europe and elsewhere. I sure hope the fullsizer will survive though.

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 05-27-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Fixed the user's quote.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 AM
OldBlueOvalDude
Senior User
You're probably right on the size thing, Valdor, especially for the North American market. When it comes to trucks there is still a "bigger is better" mentality going on over here which is OK for trucks used as tools to get a job done efficiently. Don't have a crystal ball but it is almost certain that the F series will survive. The American housing construction industry probably couldn't get by without something just that size. But the days of them being a gas guzzling, single passenger commuter vehicle are numbered. Anybody who wants to argue that point need only look at which way North American gasoline prices have been going this last month.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
DonMajikJuan
New User
That actually looks pretty legit...thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ranger