New Mexico Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Just a few things

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
sealboy84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few things

I didn't want to just start replying to all of the old threads so I'll start a new one.

Fish, Alb. Bumper exchange does chrome plating.

Chris, that blown tire looks downright scary. I wonder what the going price on an A-6 is?

I need new tires on the back of the truck.The BFGs were good tires but they are just worn out. After all of the horror stories that I read in an earlier thread, I don't know if I want to go with them or not. I do have a used set of Yokos and they are ok. I was looking at the tires on the Jeep that my Dad drives and he has a tire called the Mud King. They are pretty aggressive, but not real noisy. A friend of mine said he could get me a set of 33s for $850.

Ideas?

Now try this one on for size...

I had to replace my alternator a week or so ago. I had been kind of wondering about the batteries after I replaced the alternator, as it was dragging when I went to start it. Day before yesterday I started her up and was driving down the street and it stuttered and started to die like it was out of fuel. Well I knew that couldn't be the problem. My gauge was showing a little over 1/4. So I had fuel, my filter was new (I replaced it at the same time as the alternator).

I got off of the road and I cranked on it for a total of about 45 seconds and my batteries were toast. I called my son and he showed up and said I could jump off of his car. (Just a little advice... don't ever try to jumpstart your Powerstroke with a Honda Civic. Not only does it not work, but it looks real, real bad...) So I got a ride over to the parts house and got two new batteries, put them in and after "feathering" the pedal once or twice it ran fine. Steve knows that I should know the sound of a Powerstroke that has been run out of fuel. It just doesn't make sense. Would batteries that are that dead cause this?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
I have never heard of dead batteries causing problems while already driving unless the charging system was bad as well. Have you checked all the grounds to make sure they are clean and making good contact?

My SuperDuty has been causing me problems lately. I'm not impressed with the way Ford takes care of us long term customers/owners.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:31 PM
sealboy84
Senior User
Update...

I went out on Thursday morning to got to work, and the batteries were dead. wouldn't do nothing but grind the starter. I sat and looked for a minute or two and changed clothes and started pulling parts off.... alternator, both new batteries, took them in and had them tested, all good. So now what!?

I went back to the house and was considering trading the truck for an FJ Cruiser (I'M KIDDING). I put everything back in and was so distracted and put out that I gave myself a black eye trying to get the belt back on. (don't ask)

I called a friend who has a '350, and he came over and tried to help me jump it. Nothing... just grinding. Hmmmm, I have stereo, lights, power windows. I yanked the starter out and within an hour had it fixed.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
I can see the starter having problems when it's not running. Still confuses me that it was running fine and stopped.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
sealboy84
Senior User
Another update. I have found that since I installed the Wicked Wheel, I have a hard time starting the truck. It cranks fine, it just won't fire. If I let the "wts" light go out, crank it for about five seconds stop, and immediately turn the key again it will start. That is not all of the time. Only when the engine is cool. Other times it just takes a little extra cranking to get it going... instead of 2 seconds it takes 4...
Also, in the morning, if I don't let it run for at least 10 minutes before leaving the house, it will die and act like it is out of fuel the first time that I open the throttle up.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
My 01 was doing the same thing. Ended up sending it back to the dealership I bought it from when it refused to start and sat DEAD in my driveway <2 weeks after I bought it. I called the owner of the shop and he said "I'm NOT going to fix every little problem with YOUR truck..." So, I told him "Who's truck? Don't you mean "YOUR" truck?" He said "What do you mean?". So, I politely said "I'm will within my 15 days grace period, I can return this vehicle back to you no questions asked... come pick up "YOUR" truck and reverse my deal IMMEDIATELY." So, they did.

Couple of weeks later, the sales guy called me and said they fixed "MY" truck. Asked if I wanted it back. I said HELL NO!!!

Turns out (moral of the story) truck needed a major tune up. New glow plugs and glow plug timer.