Cleanup/recovery after fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleanup/recovery after fire

If you read the previous post, you have already figured "boy does he have a mess".
I bailed out 5 gal of meoh and have 45 gal of WVO/meoh in the mix barrel that only mixed for a few minutes. I now have a mixture with an insufficient amount of meoh and a slightly mixed batch that has been sitting for 2 days now.
My plan, If the guru's agree is to reheat to 140F, mix 1 hour, remove 5 gal of mix and pour in the 5 gal I previously removed. Mix again for 1 hour. Oh yes, I forgot to tell you I didn't put in the extra 1.5 gal of meoh to complete the mix because it overfilled. So now I have 40 gal WVO/meoh that doesn't have enough meoh in it, 5 gal WVO/meoh I removed because it was overfilled, and 1.5 gal of meoh that needs to be put into entire mix.
Hope this doesn't confuse you. I think I will keep removing 5 gals of mix, replace with one of the above mentioned, mix a while and remove and replace again until I have thoroughly mixed the batch.
Any different suggestions. Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your proposal sounds like it will work just fine Tom.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Smile

Great Don. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom D
If you read the previous post, you have already figured "boy does he have a mess".
I bailed out 5 gal of meoh and have 45 gal of WVO/meoh in the mix barrel that only mixed for a few minutes. I now have a mixture with an insufficient amount of meoh and a slightly mixed batch that has been sitting for 2 days now.
My plan, If the guru's agree is to reheat to 140F, mix 1 hour, remove 5 gal of mix and pour in the 5 gal I previously removed. Mix again for 1 hour. Oh yes, I forgot to tell you I didn't put in the extra 1.5 gal of meoh to complete the mix because it overfilled. So now I have 40 gal WVO/meoh that doesn't have enough meoh in it, 5 gal WVO/meoh I removed because it was overfilled, and 1.5 gal of meoh that needs to be put into entire mix.
Hope this doesn't confuse you. I think I will keep removing 5 gals of mix, replace with one of the above mentioned, mix a while and remove and replace again until I have thoroughly mixed the batch.
Any different suggestions. Thanks
OK so that didn't work. So after talking with you Don, I titrated and came up with 8. (7.8 base, .2 titration) What I will now do is reheat to 140F add 2 gallons methanol with 2.662 lbs (1211.28gr) of KOH and carry on as usual. What do you think Don? Hopefully, I will recover some methanol using suggestions from Phydeaux and Don. Thanks to you both. Tom

Old 05-12-2009, 08:16 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Should work Tom. Let us know how it comes out.