1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 Ford Truck Bed

Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM
scott0531
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1952 Ford Truck Bed

I know this question has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer using the search engine. I want to buy an entire replacement bed with the Ford Script Tailgate. Who makes the most accurate bed for a restoration project? I'm not hot-rodding the truck at all, just want a factory stock bed like my grandpa's.

Can anyone please help? I've heard about Mar-K....Does anyone know about the quality of their products?

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. Is anyone on this forum from the Memphis TN/Olive Branch MS area?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
the search kinda sucks, plus i'm not sure, but i think new users cant use it.
anyway, i seen a bed on ebay yesterday, if you want to go that route.
i beliece bob drake also carries one...
1950 (late) - 1966 Bed Assemblies

Old 05-03-2009, 03:29 PM
scott0531
Junior User
I really just want to bye a new if i can

Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
did you check out the bob drake link?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
scott0531
Junior User
Yes, I did. Thanks. They are a couple hundred higher than Mar-K and do not come with a tailgate. I remember seeing about a year ago someone that sold the whole kit minus bed wood and it included the tailgate. When our computer crashed a couple months ago, I lost all the links I had saved in my favorites. I really appreciate the link. I didn't know he has a lot of other items I will be needing for the truck.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, it's a little more complex than you might think.

First after reviewing your member page I discovered you had a 52 F1. That's important since the F1 carries the 6 1/2 Ft. "Pick-up Box." The F2 and up carried the 8 Ft "Express Box." They are different dimensions and configurations. The Express Boxes are not being reproduced anywhere and the only replacement sheet metal for them is in surplus beds or NOS parts for sale.

The good news is there are pars available for your Pick-up Bed or Reproduction Pick-up beds as well. Mar-K is a great place to start. They have top notch products, are made in the USA, offer free shipping, and have some wonderful and helpful people. We have a tech rep from MAr-K who posts here occasionally - "Mar-K Mark." (I wonder if he's getting pissed that I keep calling him that). They also carry a lot of the products associated withthe bed installation, wood products and a finishing tech library that is second to none.

Some of the other resto parts houses carry bed parts too. You won't have any problem finding a tailgate.

But beware, the tailgates on the earlier models are different (ever so slightly where they latch) as are the tailgates for the Express Box.

Also, the F1 back fenders for the Pick-up Box are wider than those that carried a Express Box by 2 1/2 inches. Lastly, the Express Box had paneled sides as did the Pick-up Box through mid 1950. After that, the pick-up box used smooth bed sides, and fenders that were appropriately no notched to fit the panels. To be "Correct" you would need a smoothed sided Pick-up Box on your 52 F1.

You may also be able to find a complete bed from a member here, or on e-bay.

Here is a drawing of the two beds. And another of the 6 1/2 ft Pick-up bed Specs

There are a number of links I have to the bed wood dimensions, etc. Once you get a picture of where you are going to get the bed, we can take the next few steps about that stuff.

Here, also, is the latest thread we had here on beds:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...cs-needed.html

Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
U sur R smart JuLie
oh, i might need some of those bed wood dimensions too.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM
twise
Senior User
northern classic trucks have everything in the bed kit including tailgate and bed wood. i was going to order from them but i heard alot of good about mar-k and they offered free shipping so i purchased the bed kit from them. no tailgate or bed wood but excellent quality. it arrived within a week and was packaged excllently. would buy from them again. npdlink.com which is national parts depot offers the 52 tailgate for around $375 i believe. good luck with your purchase.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh I don't know about smart, I just hang out here a lot and save every good thread to a link and pick-up on everyone elses "Smart" - Kind of like a Librarian! And as you will recognize after being here awhile, the same questions and answers seem to get posted and reasked - a lot.

Here's a good place to get some info - Earl's World. It's referenced in the thread. For the wood dimensions, scroll down to post #6. That's a lift from Earl's!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...s-pleease.html

Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
earls world is GREAT111!11! i spent a few hours there yesterday
(hey my shift key almost works again)

Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my script tailgate came from Mar-K and it arrived in great shape and required no prep work. Excellent quality.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
scott0531
Junior User
Thank y'all a whole bunch! I will give Mar-K a call tomorrow and will try to post some pictures of the disassembly of my truck. Started with a whole truck this weekend, and am down the frame.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
twise
Senior User
Send a personal message to: MAR-Ktech He is there at MAR-K and is on this site alot. He helped me quite a bit with questions I had. I recieved free shipping and 10% off also. Saved me quite a bit of money.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
50f-1
Freshman User
I recently purchased a Mar-K bed for my late 1950 - same bed as 1952. I was quite pleased with the whole deal, quality of product, shipping (which was free via UPS freight) and instructions. One corner of one the flare sides was slightly bent during manufacture or shipping and required some attention but nothing serious. I bought back in March and in addition to free shipping got 10% off. I did not need a tailgate and . . . at the time they were not in stock so check and see if that is important. Tailgates are usually produced by a contract supplier so all the companies may get them from the same source. I think you would be pleased with their product and the shipping via UPS Freight means they will deliver to your house if the semi can get to your house or the driver will meet you at a pre determined location which is what I did and loaded it in my truck.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
scott0531
Junior User
Talked with Mar-K today, they said they do not carry the tailgates anymore. They do not have permission for the Ford script. They told me to get on the forum and ask other people where they got their tailgates and speak to whomever is recommended. (Like Dennis Carpenter, etc.)

They didn't mention anything about 10% off for being a member of this site, as was mentioned by some other members. They were very nice people and I made my decision to buy from them. Just waiting to see if someone on this site can tell me where to get the tailgate.

Thanks,
Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1952 Ford Truck Bed