2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Damnit...2 days and I already got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:53 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Damnit...2 days and I already got a problem

It's been raining for 2 days, so I couldn't get a good look at the paint and do a decent wash/wax.

I spent 5 minutes today on the rear hatch and found something under the paint. Looks like little flecks of something. The paint surface is raised and bumpy.
I'm going to Clay bar it in the morning. Really hope it's just some crap in the clearcoat that I can remove

Part that pisses me off is that this isn't the first time Ford has done this to me. I had the same issue with my 2006 F-150 in the sig. I had 3 doors, and a pillar that had to be re-sprayed.
They too had crap under the paint...in fact, looked exactly like what I'm seeing on the Expy.

Was really hoping the 1st time was a fluke. Guess not

I'll get pics tomorrow. The light was failing...and hopefully I'm jumping the gun. The Clay Bar will tell I guess

Old 04-25-2009, 02:31 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Factory paint jobs suck. Robots don't give a damm about quality. And the inspectors do not seem to care all that much either.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

today the issue went from a tiny issue, to a major problem. well, 4 actually

it's been raining on/off for 2-3 days. And it was dark when I bought the Expy. The road dirt hid the paint conditions pretty well. Anyways, the weather finally stayed pretty today. So I started cleaning the Expy up.
#1. On every single body panel I have found huge pits, paint chips, scratches or some other form of damage. The damage is similar to what you would find after a Winter up North with gravel on the roads. There are also quite a few door dings and paint transfers
Which is wierd, since the Expy has under 200 miles. I almost wonder if they were Weed-eating around it and some jerk was just slamming doors while rocks were being thrown.
#2. The Service Manager called it "Industrial Fallout". I don't know what the crap is, but every horizontal surface has some sort of wierd crap embedded in the clearcoat. Looks like crap, and the bigger particles apparently rust.
Clay bar doesn't remove it either
#3. Some sort of contaminant under the paint. Clay Bar proved it was under the paint. Not sure what it is, but it looks like crap.

#4. The doors aren't even painted in certain areas...and the hood is the same. Visually fine on the exterior, but the inner sides are just bare metal

Boy am I glad I decided to shine her up

The Dealership has an appointment for me to drop off on Tuesday. They acknowledge all the paint defects are covered 100%, but nobody would directly answer my question about the Damaged paint itself.
Apparently this Expy has been sitting on a lot since Feb 2008. Don't know how or why, but it got all that damage from sitting there over the past 1 yr

The Floor Manager was dancing around meeting me face to face. I ended up leaving after setting up an appt.
I gave them 3 options for the repairs. Hopefully they see the light and fix it perfectly. If not, I'm going to have alot of fun with that Dealership and Ford.

This is the second time I've bought a new Ford and had Paint defects that required respray
The options they have as I see it:
1. Complete 100% swap into a new vehicle with the same options
2. Independant Paint Repair Appraisal at a shop I trust. Then deduct that amount from my final purchase price...or given to me.
3. Pretty much a complete 100% respray of the entire Expy. There are so many spots, that I'm not sure they could correct and blend into each panel
anyhoo...Looks like they'll have it at least 7 days, but more likely 10-15. I'm expecting an equivalent rental vehicle as well.

I'm trying to upload a video of the carnage. There are just too many pictures. I've taken a metric butt-ton of photo's to document the damage.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
We (the shop I work for) are the body shop for the Ford dealer here in town. We get a vehicle every now and then for paint repair. The paint damage appeared to have occurred when the vehicle was transported. Most often during transport by train. Make sure that the body shop personnel are aware of your interest in the quality of the finished job with out being overbearing. As I have recommended in the past investing in a box of donuts can have a beneficial effect. DO NOT SETTLE FOR 2nd BEST!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I don't know if the repairs are done in-house, or out in town...most likely out in town.

if in-house, I will go get that box of "donuts" you are talking about. Except out here, they prefer "Pu Pu's" (Hawaiin for finger foods)...a favorite is Maunapua. If you've ever had Kolaches (sp?), it's the same thing.

But yeah, I am not above sucking up to the lot guys to get a superior job done.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
How does it go "When in Rome do as the Romans do". Let us know how things go.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Konarain
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krispy Kreme Manapua? l.o.l.
Carry on Bro'!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

sorry for the crappy quality, these are from my iPhone. I didn't have any of my good cameras in the car since I thought I was dropping it off for repair.

btw, in case you didn't know. Ford requires pictures on any repair totalling $100 or more. So I get to wait about 2 more days to get repairs authorized...and to top it off, the rental car will only be a FOCUS...WTF? I bought a damn Expedition EL for my family of 5...not a Focus. I have to fork over an additional $30/day if I want anything bigger.
I am so pissed at Ford right now. I cannot believe the paint defects made it past anyone. I keep finding stuff by accident. 1/2 the **** I've found just by looking...no detailed inspection or anything

every single body panel has these markings, but these 2 doors are the worst of the lot

Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

UPDATE

The Dealer finally worked my Expy into the repair booth...I dropped it off on Tuesday the 19th.

Got a phone call today, they are saying it will be in the shop for about 2 weeks total. So went from a few days...to 2 weeks...WTF?

I am a huge Ford fan...but to be honest, I don't know if I'll buy another one NEW ever again. This is the 2nd BRAND NEW FORD I've bought in 3 yrs that has had an identical paint problem.
Especially with the rental game Ford is playing with me right now.

I bought a 7 Passenger Expedition EL...they are offering me a 4-5 passenger Ford Focus as a Rental vehicle...if I want something bigger, I have to pay the upgrade fee. Which is roughly $30+ each day.

And ontop of this, I am only "AUTHORIZED" for 1 week of rental. I had originally just decided to not get a rental at all...I can easily go a few days with just 1 car...but 2-weeks?

So I'm gonna pick up my rental on Tuesday next week

I swear, this has been the worst car buying experience I have ever had...I love my Fords...damn

What the hell am I supposed to do with a FOCUS? My kids carseats won't even fit in the backseat of one...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is not just ford that is having problems, it seem to partly be the new enviromentally friendly formula, The aircraft I work on, Multi million dollar jets, also are having paint issues as far as adhesion to their surfaces, One Manufacturer had to come up with a 25 point repaint process that takes about a month and they still aren't sure whether it will adhere. One of our aircraft looked like someone grabbed a loose corner of the paint and pulled, it had peeled form the radome to halfway back down the fuselage, as well as many small pits that looked like it hadn't been cleaned properly.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Sorry to hear of the struggle you're having with this one. And it's a shame too because from the sig pic, it's a gorgeous rig. Like wb6 said though, it's not just Ford, as I have a friend with a brand new Silverado going through the same problems as well.

Best of luck getting it all worked out.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, I think it's a bummer that your new Expy has messed up paint.

And I think it's lame that Ford is offering you a Focus, not something more comparable.

But didn't you learn from your F150 to check the "new" vehicle before taking delivery? You mentioned it had less than 200 miles on it, but a whole lot can happen in nearly 200 miles.

You could have saved yourself lots of trouble by carefully inspecting the vehicle you were purchasing. A car with 1 mile could be damaged on the car carrier or by a careless lot attendant. Had you spent half the time looking at the vehicle before you bought it that you've spent complaining about it since you bought it you would have saved yourself lots of trouble.

I hope your repairs go smoothly but you could have prevented most of this by checking the vehicle before you brought it home.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

@ gpfarrell

you are 100% correct, I should have caught this immediately.

but, and I think most people have been guilty of the stuff below

1. New car light-headedness...aka wanna get it home
2. Vehicle was filthy when I was looking at it
3. I got there about 5 at night, sun went down shortly afterwards (stupid stupid)
4. It rained for several days afterwards...so it took a while for me to be able to detail her

visually, the Expedition looks perfects. from 3+ feet back anyways. It isn't until you bend over and start really looking at the quarterpanels that you can see the problems.

not excuses, but I wasn't expecting a brand new vehicle to have more paint damage than a car 5+ yrs old.

as for all of the factory blemishes, they are under door panels and the hood...so yeah, bad on me for not checking them since it already happened to me once in 2006...I really knew better than that

Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by wb6anp
It is not just ford that is having problems, it seem to partly be the new enviromentally friendly formula, The aircraft I work on, Multi million dollar jets, also are having paint issues as far as adhesion to their surfaces, One Manufacturer had to come up with a 25 point repaint process that takes about a month and they still aren't sure whether it will adhere. One of our aircraft looked like someone grabbed a loose corner of the paint and pulled, it had peeled form the radome to halfway back down the fuselage, as well as many small pits that looked like it hadn't been cleaned properly.
I just don't understand what the issue is?

My 1994 F-150 was painted perfectly. It was 13 yrs old when I sold her. The paint was nice and smooth, no fading, the Burgundy color looked awesome. 100% coverage
When I had her shined up, she looked damn near brand new
I know being "Green" is the PC thing right now...but at some point you have to say "Enough" and use a better product.
To me, the ends don't justify the process...especially if enough people like me insist on 100% coverage, and a perfect paintjob

Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks. I have an 08 and it has a few spots that are either really thin-near the hinges, door jams, etc or where it looks like a spec of metal was on the body when it got sprayed-looks like a pinpoint of missing paint.

I think the real answer is cost cutting. They are constantly cutting cost and quality is being affected. The plastic on the interior is some of the thinnest, most brittle stuff I have seen with the exception of Kia and Hyundai brand cars. I don't think these types of problems are going to go away anytime soon.

On a good note, I bet your respray will be of better quality than the OEM paint job. Will they warranty the paint for the same time period? I might push for a longer warranty.

Quick Reply: Damnit...2 days and I already got a problem