1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

84 F150 302 carb question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Stockdale Dave
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 F150 302 carb question

Firsttime poster so be kind...I just picked up an 84 F150 one owner with a 302 V8. Engine has 29K miles but has set idle for the last 5 years. I got it fired up but it's a bear to get to idle and warm up. After holding the accelerator down to hold it around 1500 RPMs it will warm up enough to low idle and lope after about 5 minutes. Previous owner said he rebuilt the carb....but had a handful of parts left over. Not knowing what parts he had left out I called the local parts store for a rebuilt carb.

Holy crap! $491 for a rebuild Motorcraft 2 bbl? Seems this is a "special" carb as it is on a 302 with automatic overdrive trans. Does this seem right? Any alternatives?

Thanks, Dave

Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
check ebay, for that kind of money, you can get an aluminum intake, and a nice holly. probly find the stock 2bbl cheap if you want to stay with that

Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Stockdale Dave
Junior User
That's a thought but being new to Ford I don't understand why the Auto Over drive trans had it's own special carb. Would an after market carb work and allow the trans to work as it should?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
you have to hook up the TV cable that comes from the trans. not all carbs have this place in the linkage. most holleys sell a "ford" throttle kit to install. some come with it

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM
forum155pl
Senior User
hell if you want a stock 2bbl carb, I'll send ya one for $490

or just pay for shipping and you can have it, either one

Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Stockdale Dave
Junior User
Hmmmm which option should I take? If you are serious about shipping costs I'll take it. Let me know how to get hold of you..I'd be more comfortable with a complete carb rather than the unknown unit I have now.

Thanks, Dave

Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 PM
forum155pl
Senior User
well since your so new on the site you wont be able to PM yet, so if you want to e-mail me your shipping info I can get the carb sent out on monday. my garage is starting to look like a used parts store.

forum155pl@hotmail.com

Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Stockdale Dave
Junior User
email sent. Thanks a million. Owe ya one.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 AM
ladelld33
Tuned
i have an 84 with a 302 and i installed an edelbrock 600cfm with a performer intake and a 1 inch spacer she runs good kinda thirsty thou...after bumping up the timing she runs good now but, i think that i could use a rebuild on the engine. she has over 200k

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 AM
TrucksNamed"PHIL"
Junior User
For an '84, the "special carb" the parts guy was talking about is probably a "2150 Feedback Carb". If it is a Feedback, it's not as easy as just putting on any old 2bbl.
How can you tell if it's a Feedback carb?
If the emissions label is there, it will say EEC-IV. Also, the carb will have a wiring harness plugged into the back/firewall side of it. The carb will have a Throttle Postition Sensor on it. The distributor will NOT have a vacuum advance on it. In '84, the TFI ignition module will probably be mounted on the side of the distributor with a 6 vertical wire harness. You will have a square e-core coil, not the round Duraspark coil. You will have a LARGE wiring harness going thru a grommet in the firewall to a computor(10"x8"x2" rough size guess) usually mounted above the accelorator pedal. You will have about 3 solenoid type valves mounted on top of each valve cover w/ a bunch of vacuum hoses going all over the place....
This is all if the 1st and only owner did not mess w/ anything.
So, if it sounds like your new truck has the EEC-IV/TFI/Feedback system in it, any old 2-bbl will not work.
You have options though, including making any 2-bbl work, but it's not a simple bolt-on. But before I get into those, check and see if you have the EEC-IV and get back to us.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 AM
broncoman80
Freshman User
help us! send pics so the carb can be identified + whats missing from old owners work

Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Stockdale Dave
Junior User
Old 04-25-2009, 12:12 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That is a 2150 caburetor for sure. The carburetors are special for the AOD (Automatic Overdrive) transmission because you need a provision on the carb for the TV rod (pic 3) to hook to. This is VERY IMPORTANT! Without that connection, you would have to fab something up, which I do not recommend because if that TV rod or (TV cable on later models) is not set just right on the carburetor, you will completely destroy the AOD within about 1 mile.

Are you sure you have a 1984 model?

I ask because in 1984 and 1985, if your truck came with a carbed 302, you got the EEC-IV/TFI ignition with a feedback carburetor. From 1980 to 1983, you would not unless you got a California model. It looks like you do not have the EEC-IV/TFI ignition, which would be very odd if it is indeed a 1984 model.

It looks like you have the earlier Duraspark II ignition, because I can see the round canister coil and horseshoe connector on the intake manifold in pic #1. Plus, looking at pic 3, I do not see the HUGE mass of wires going to the firewall that would typically accompany the EEC-IV computer mess. You have a solid rubber grommet on the firewall where you would have about 60 wires going into it if you had the EEC-IV computer. I don't see the sensors on the valve covers either. This is good news for you!

Look on your driver's side inner fender. Do you have a large square ignition module with 2 plugs coming from it? It should have "Duraspark" written on it. If in doubt, post a pic of the driver's side inner fender and I can tell you fast what you have. If you have this system, you will NOT need a feedback carburetor (but you WILL need to have an AOD specific carburetor) and your truck will be a LOT easier to modify and work on.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:12 PM
broncoman80
Freshman User
Lightbulb

that looks just like my old one hated it horrible to try to tune or work on i got a new intake carb and air pan for around $500 from eddlebrock + upgraded to square boar 4bbl before and after pics are in my album somthing to think about

Old 04-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Stockdale Dave
Junior User
It's definitely an 84 model. I have the title and original owner guide and operating guide. The module on the driver fender says "Wells" so I am assuming it is an after market ignition module. Thanks for all the input...I realize it is not the optimum carb but I wanted a complete unit as I have no idea what the original owner had leftover after a rebuild. If I can get it running right then it'll be my beat around all purpose hauler. If it is going to be a pain in the *** I'll relegate it to farm status and it'll never get over 15 MPH. I only have $500 in the truck so I'm not to interested in putting a $500 carb on it. One of the members here is sending me a complete 2 BBL so I'll try that. Thanks guys. You guys are great.

Quick Reply: 84 F150 302 carb question