Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Cabin Air Filter, 2009 Escape...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Redranger03
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin Air Filter, 2009 Escape...

Has anyone installed a cabin air filter on the "newer" Escape? It is my understanding, that they can be installed by the owner as they do not come equipped with a filter from the factory.

If so, what are the supplier's part numbers.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redranger03
Has anyone installed a cabin air filter on the "newer" Escape? It is my understanding, that they can be installed by the owner as they do not come equipped with a filter from the factory.

If so, what are the supplier's part numbers.
No numbers for you but I read somewhere that the filter gets plugged up quickly and air flow is reduced.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Even a clean filter cuts air flow fairly substantially. I'll probably leave them out next time I check those that I installed in both of my Escapes. The cabin filters do cut down on pollen and dust inside the car but ONLY if you never drive with the windows open.

As far as the install, piece of cake in the '05 and '06 models. Take the plastic cover at the base of the hood (passenger side) and drop in the filter. Ten or 15 minutes at most. Maybe a little longer the first time.

None of the Fords that I have bought over the last 10 years have come with a cabin air filter from the factory.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Redranger03
Senior User
Ok, thanks...my wife has problems with allergies, thought it might help...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
JFUSION
Senior User
when you see how black the used filters get after such a short time it seems like a good idea.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
twolostminds
New User
2009 Ford Esape Cabin Air Filter
Fram - CA10170
Motorcraft OEM - FA1772
Purolator - A25567
K&N - 33-2347
Wix - 49187
NAPA - FIL 9187

Installation Instructions:
1. Raise hood.
2. Remove the 7 plastic clips that run along the forward edge of the cowl. Use a philips head screwdriver and push up in the middle from the bottom. Remove the screw and the clip.
3. Pry up the forward edge of the plastic cowl piece on the passenger side. Mine was stuck down with a sticky foam strip which remained attached to the plastic cowl piece. This is where my wife assisted by holding the cowl piece up out of the way so I could raise the lid to the air box.
4. The lid to the air box has 2 plastic clips on the forward edge holding it in place. Gently pry the tab forward (toward the front of the vehicle) while lifting the top. I found releasing the outboard clip first worked best (it's also the most visible of the 2). I did not remove the lid, just lifted it up enough to get the filter in place inside the air box.
5. Install the air filter in place, since it is such a funny shape it will only go in one way which is obvious. As stated here and other places I researched, the filter does not fit perfectly. It is the right shape it just seems to be a little too big. I had to push the edges down into place in order to get a decent seal which slightly distorted the filter. It should work fine though.

Same filter and instructions for both the 09 Escape & Escape Hybrid.
Found on www.GreenHybrid.com

Old 04-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Redranger03
Senior User
Thanks for the info, twolostminds.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 AM
jbracefan1977
Freshman User
hey, I have the same K&N also and love it, I could not find a good deal on ebay so I found a discount coupon here: K&N 33-2347, or you can try one of the vendors on the forum here, you can usually find a good deal that way as well. This was very easy to install and I love it.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
JFUSION
Senior User
just curious if these filters get wet from being under the cowl ?, or do they stay relatively dry. I would think they might start to smell if they get any kind of moisture in them. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 PM
ema
New User
I don't think they would give off a bad smell if ever they do.

Anyway, would this cabin air filter replacement video work? The girl seem to just pose around and I can't hardly follow her instructions.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:56 PM
unicorn68
New User
Replace cabin air filter 2008 Escape

I purchased a Puralator C25685 from Pep boys for about $20.
Searched for instructions on internet as to how to install and some instructions were totally wrong. Here is what worked.
Remove seven phillips screws and screwholders. Unscrew while pushing up from bottom of screw. Pry up the cowl plate exposing a cover held by two tabs in front. Lift cover and see if there is air filter present. In my case Ford did not install one in this new vehicle (ripoff!). Filter is odd shaped so only goes in one way. Press in to fit snugly. Watch out for some wire mesh that could scratch you (I bleed easily!). Put cover back down and secure tabs.
Reinstall 7 screw holders and screws. Next time I go to the dealer I will ask why no filter was present. It is my understanding, it would cost close to $100 for the dealer to this. Especially repugnant is if they "replaced" something that was not there to start with and you never knew about it!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
rscalzo
New User
No Escape comes with the filter. It's up to the owner to install.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 PM
wwbrewer
New User
Dealer Rip-off on non-existent Escape cabin filter

I went to my local dealer to check on things they claim are needed for the 30,000 mile maintenance schedule. I had previously been told that my 2009 Escape would need a fuel filter replacement. Found that nowhere on the list. The most irritating thing was that the list mentioned a cabin filter. This was in the warranty book as well as on the dealer list.
When I brought up the subject, one service man told me that Escapes don't have cabin filters and the service manager told me that he had never changed one. Neither one knew where it was even if it existed.
They still want me to come in and have this non-existen filter changed at a cost near $100, along with all the other non-essentials. It's amazing the list they give you. Now I think it's just a scam, especially after reading what other owners have to say. I've read in several places that Escapes don't come with the filter. If that's true, then why pay to have one put in?
This really annoys me. These two services guys went over to consult with the parts guy, who said that here is a filter listed. Well, I guess so if they intend to install one.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wwbrewer
I went to my local dealer to check on things they claim are needed for the 30,000 mile maintenance schedule. I had previously been told that my 2009 Escape would need a fuel filter replacement. Found that nowhere on the list. The most irritating thing was that the list mentioned a cabin filter. This was in the warranty book as well as on the dealer list.
When I brought up the subject, one service man told me that Escapes don't have cabin filters and the service manager told me that he had never changed one. Neither one knew where it was even if it existed.
They still want me to come in and have this non-existen filter changed at a cost near $100, along with all the other non-essentials. It's amazing the list they give you. Now I think it's just a scam, especially after reading what other owners have to say. I've read in several places that Escapes don't come with the filter. If that's true, then why pay to have one put in?
This really annoys me. These two services guys went over to consult with the parts guy, who said that here is a filter listed. Well, I guess so if they intend to install one.
The cabin air filter is "optional".

Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by wptski
The cabin air filter is "optional".
Yes, "optional" to install yourself. Under the cowl on the passenger side where the outside air enters the vehicle. You can if you want put a filter in there. My 2003 has ths space for a filter. If you search around you can find the one that will fit. When I first checked this filter compartment there wasn't any filter installed. I see no need for a filter, so I left well enough alone.

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter, 2009 Escape...