testing for soap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Fett Affen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
testing for soap

Is there an easy way to test for soap? I read that you fill a jar with 1/3 bio, 1/3 water and shake, I let it settle and the bio is clear but the water is cloudy and has stayed cloudy for a week now. I am searching for bromo-blue and will do the chemical test for soap but there again, there are differant ways to do it. One way involves using scales and the other doesn't. The sixty four thousand dollar question is--if you have too much soap, what causes it and what do you do about it.
Dave

Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fett Affen
Is there an easy way to test for soap? I read that you fill a jar with 1/3 bio, 1/3 water and shake, I let it settle and the bio is clear but the water is cloudy and has stayed cloudy for a week now. I am searching for bromo-blue and will do the chemical test for soap but there again, there are differant ways to do it. One way involves using scales and the other doesn't. The sixty four thousand dollar question is--if you have too much soap, what causes it and what do you do about it.
Dave
You can purchase bromophenol blue here: INDICATING SOLUTIONS at FRYERPOWER HOME

This is the proper way to test for soap: Testing for Soap in Unwashed Biodiesel and Glycerol - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

If you have questions this is the place to go for most answers: Welcome - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Website

Soap is caused by water in the oil. MOST water will settle out with a little heat, and time. Some water will remain, which will combine with some of the catylist to form soap. I use the Magnesol drywash system, so I don't add any washwater to my bio. I recover the excess methanol from my bio which causes the soap to fall out of suspension, then I filter out the soap.