SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cut and tried splicing then used a harness so yes and true

Old 04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Double and triple check all of your connections there. Some of the radio functions may go through the GEM. Did you ty the radio before the harness went in?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:03 PM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
No I didn't try it before the harness went in. I am pretty good at everything on my truck except wiring. I have wired my trailer 3 times now cause I was doing it backwards lol.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM
appytaxi
New User
OK - Jock D, you were a great help in getting the GEM out. Now that it is out and I have no obvious signs of corrosion or 'badness' what should I do? It appears that based on all the truck issues I have that my GEM is going bad - I would have bet money on corroded connectors because of the off and on nature and the wide variety of problems.
Do I just replace it now?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
silent209
New User
Hello, i have a question, if i was to change my GEM and put on a used one from the same year, will it still work or do I need a new one and have the dealer program it.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not a GEM expert, but in troubleshooting one on my 2001 I tried another GEM from a similar truck that had more options and it did not work well at all. It makes me think that the combination of options and programming are very specific to the way the truck is optioned, but is not unique to only one truck. Based on that, I would not try to replace a GEM with a used one unless it was for the same year truck with exactly the same options (at least those controlled by the GEM).

The safe thing to do would be buy a new one and have the dealer (or someone with a tool that can program the GEM) set it up for the few field-programmable options. I think tire size and something else.

Appytaxi, I was not following this thread, but my suggestion would be to check out the sensors and wiring that control the GEM function that is giving you trouble before you invest in an expensive new GEM. Try to eliminate the less expensive stuff as the problem!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JockD
I am not a GEM expert, but in troubleshooting one on my 2001 I tried another GEM from a similar truck that had more options and it did not work well at all. It makes me think that the combination of options and programming are very specific to the way the truck is optioned, but is not unique to only one truck. Based on that, I would not try to replace a GEM with a used one unless it was for the same year truck with exactly the same options (at least those controlled by the GEM).

The safe thing to do would be buy a new one and have the dealer (or someone with a tool that can program the GEM) set it up for the few field-programmable options. I think tire size and something else.

Appytaxi, I was not following this thread, but my suggestion would be to check out the sensors and wiring that control the GEM function that is giving you trouble before you invest in an expensive new GEM. Try to eliminate the less expensive stuff as the problem!
Anytime you swap another GEM in you will need it to be programmed to your truck. You don't need to have a new one though. The dealer tried to tell me the same thing and that they couldn't program a used one to my truck. I had to find a tech who knew what he was doing to finally get it fixed.

I am actually running a 2001 PCM, and 2000 GEM in my Early 99'

Old 01-07-2010, 04:54 AM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

I bought a new GEN off E-Bay for $175.00 and it works perfect. I sent the guy the numbers off my old one and he programed mine and I have not had a problem in a year.

Mine was getting wet due to my stupid cab lights. Got lights fixed and no more problems.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
hrod79
New User
Originally Posted by ltl_jrw
I bought a new GEN off E-Bay for $175.00 and it works perfect. I sent the guy the numbers off my old one and he programed mine and I have not had a problem in a year.

Mine was getting wet due to my stupid cab lights. Got lights fixed and no more problems.
Do you have any contact info for the guy on E-Bay?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

Originally Posted by hrod79
Do you have any contact info for the guy on E-Bay?
Sorry, I don't have his comtact, it was back in Febuary.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine was acting funny in the fall because water was leaking in somewhere and getting to the GEM somehow. I had the windshield pressure tested and it tested good, so I took some black epoxy and sealed every hole in the firewall on the driver side. No more problems since.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
appytaxi
New User
Thanks Guys,
I did see a tiny itty bitty bit of corrosion on the GEM so I got it cleaned up and put back together (that was fun) and the truck started up great. 3 days later it wouldnt start again. there is no sign of water or dampness in the Gem - it looks perfect. Now we are going back to the car alarm because there seems to be a correlation there too - like the kill switch is malfunctioning.
BTW some GEMs are plug and play - the E version for this truck is and that is what I have.
If Car Toys finds that it isnt the alarm then I guess it is back to wires and electrical stuff (which just confuses the heck outta me)

Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 AM
vwmike72
New User
I bought one off of ebay and it didn't do anything to help problem. Maybe bad GEM? Getting my money back though and will try again!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM
gtnwood
Senior User
Originally Posted by ztodd377
Mine was acting funny in the fall because water was leaking in somewhere and getting to the GEM somehow. I had the windshield pressure tested and it tested good, so I took some black epoxy and sealed every hole in the firewall on the driver side. No more problems since.
Exacto mundo same here, but had to replace the fuse panel at the same time, works like new again

Old 06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
crum71
1/8 mile Oval Track

I had to buy one in December, got it from a place in Florida for 150.00 all the numbers matched. It has worked perfect and didn't have to get it programmed. Took an hour to get it out,but maybe 15 minutes to put back in.

Quick Reply: Generic Electronic Module (GEM)