2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Tranny kick down gear blownup

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
IQ9
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny kick down gear blownup

I just got a call from my service advisor that my kickdown gear has blownup...that means I get to wait for a tranny rebuild and no rental car. The vehicle has just under 21K on it. There is a TSB but I didn't get the number as of yet I will post back. Has anyone has the kickdown gear shatter? Thanks for any info. I do have a call in to Ford about a rental car but they need 2 days to decide if I qualify for a rental. I was told by the dealer I would be without my EL for "several days".

Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were there any symptoms before?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I thought ford gave you a rental anytime your vehicle stayed overnight if you were under factory warranty still???

Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by function12
I thought ford gave you a rental anytime your vehicle stayed overnight if you were under factory warranty still???
No. The dealer can give you a rental if they feel like it, but in these economic times I was told Ford will not authorize any rentals.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 PM
clearnetedm
Junior User
What were the symptoms before you brought it into the shop? Seems odd about the rental as well. I know the ESP comes with some sort or rental rebate, so what would happen if you have the ESP and factory coverage. Would the rental go towards the ESP? Very odd. I guess personal insurance might have a clause for this??

Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I dont understand what they mean by the kickdown gear. When a transmission kicks down it basically downshifts to a lower gear. For example driving along in 4th (overdrive) and press the throttle and the transmission "kicks down", now its in 3rd. There is no gear that is a called kickdown gear, so what is really broke?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Clutch maybe?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
Ford is tightening it allowance for loaner cars. It used to be that if your vehicle was in for service and if the dealer had a vehicle to loan out then they would reimburse the dealer. But now they only provide a loaner or rental if your vehicle is in overnight. You may want to check other dealers in your area and or Ford regarding the loaner/ rental policy. I am certain your entitled to a rental/ loaner if your truck is in for service for several days under warranty. It would be interesting to know exactly what has been diagnosed for your transmission.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
good luck with the loaner. Most dealerships will not provide a loaner unless you bought the truck from that dealership and then it is questionable if they will. My expedition was in the shop for 5 trips of with stays of 2-5 days in a for transmission problems and ford only provided me a loaner once. Go to the service manager and raise hell, he will contact ford for you. I think the only reason I got a loaner the last time was because I sent ford a letter to either fix the truck correctly or buy it back from me. It funny you have to push so hard to get the correct service you should be given up front.
Originally Posted by Freak4Ford
Ford is tightening it allowance for loaner cars. It used to be that if your vehicle was in for service and if the dealer had a vehicle to loan out then they would reimburse the dealer. But now they only provide a loaner or rental if your vehicle is in overnight. You may want to check other dealers in your area and or Ford regarding the loaner/ rental policy. I am certain your entitled to a rental/ loaner if your truck is in for service for several days under warranty. It would be interesting to know exactly what has been diagnosed for your transmission.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
IQ9
Senior User
Time for an update. I got a rental. Yes I got one for 5 days BUT. Yes there is a but statement they will only give me a $30 a day car. SO I got in quite a fight with Ford over this and they will review my claim to see if I truely need a larger car than a compact. I made the point by pointing out that I have 7 seats(adult size) not Ford Fusion sized 4 seats. We will see how it goes. The tranny was explained to me as having a spur gear that handled/actuated the kick down. The warning signs are very easy to hear-when it down shifts it sounds like a "rrrriiipp" each time or if you understand what missing teeth on a gear set sounds like you got it. I first got it on on ramps when the wheel was truned but after 2 weeks it was pretty much most down shifts but not all. I still down have the TSB and I am sorry about not getting for you guys. I should be getting it back on monday morning but that is if the part has come in and I have no emails stating as such so we will see. Thanks for the support!!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
IQ9
Senior User
Oh I forgot to tell you the truck has 20,800 miles on it and is under war cover. No fighting about fixing just rental. Sorry about that.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
Not too long ago I had my truck in for repairs under the extended warranty. The dealer offered a compact car as a loaner. I told him I drive a Navigator and I should be extended a like vehicle that has the capacity of my truck as far as passengers go. This occured on a day that it snowed and all the loaner SUV's were out so they got me a 15 passenger van to use.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
No where is it written that Ford owes you a loaner car while yours in for repair, warranty or not. It's up to the dealer and or Ford. It would be great to get an Expy for a loaner, but in reality, you are lucky to get anything with four wheels.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:39 PM
cfranc
New User
Just to add my experience... my servicing dealer has always given a courtesy loaner if my EL is in for warranty work overnight. Always. It may be because I have the Ford Extended Service Plan, but I am still under the factory warranty at this point. BTW, I didn't even buy the vehicle from them. Must vary from dealer to dealer... guess I am lucky.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM
IQ9
Senior User
berry1234,
you are totally right I should just put a sock in it and be thankful that Ford even allowed to buy one of thier cars. I have it SO backwards.

Quick Reply: Tranny kick down gear blownup