1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2002 F150 Overdrive light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
bedwar4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 Overdrive light blinking

My overdrive light is blinking off and on. When I accelerate normally, the truck starts stumbling? (dont know a better word) some, sort of like a clogged air filter or fuel filter. Any ideas. I am going to take it to a transmission shop because its a little beyond me, but dont want to get ripped off.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
the blinking o/d light is like the check engine light for the transmission. Has the transmission service been done on the truck? Check the transmission fluid. The transmission does not have an air filter, but there is a transmission filter that should be serviced. Take it to a couple of different shops and see if they diagnose the same problem, it could be expensive, good luck.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Pstroker01
New User
Originally Posted by bedwar4
My overdrive light is blinking off and on. When I accelerate normally, the truck starts stumbling? (dont know a better word) some, sort of like a clogged air filter or fuel filter. Any ideas. I am going to take it to a transmission shop because its a little beyond me, but dont want to get ripped off.

I was wondering if you had that problem solved, my 2001 f250 is doing the same. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM
bc11
Junior User
Had that happen to me when I ran my 2000 f150 4x4 over a log and it jumped up and jammed the wiring harness along the frame rail into a U channel body mount behing the Driver front wheel. Cut and mashed most of the wires. They went to the fuel pump, rear end, back part of tranny, the the tail lights. Hooked them all together with butt connectors.

Then it would run and drive in 4x4 lo but would want to stall out in 4x4 hi like it was going in 2 gears. OD light was still flashing. Found a blown blue fuse in the front of the fuse box on the engine. That fixed it and it drove all right ever since. Someone here said you could count the blinks of the OD light and pull a code but mine was just a steady on/off blink.

If not a fuse, I'd crawl under and check the connections for rust and corrosion for the wiring connectors going to the rear end and tranny. Could have run over something and broke and mashed a wire under there. Put some dielectric grease on any connections. There might be a relay acting up somewhere.

There are some dealers around looking to take the last of your 401K plan.

Let us know what you find out to fix it.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Crystal 33
New User
it was just the fuse

Originally Posted by bc11
Had that happen to me when I ran my 2000 f150 4x4 over a log and it jumped up and jammed the wiring harness along the frame rail into a U channel body mount behing the Driver front wheel. Cut and mashed most of the wires. They went to the fuel pump, rear end, back part of tranny, the the tail lights. Hooked them all together with butt connectors.

Then it would run and drive in 4x4 lo but would want to stall out in 4x4 hi like it was going in 2 gears. OD light was still flashing. Found a blown blue fuse in the front of the fuse box on the engine. That fixed it and it drove all right ever since. Someone here said you could count the blinks of the OD light and pull a code but mine was just a steady on/off blink.

If not a fuse, I'd crawl under and check the connections for rust and corrosion for the wiring connectors going to the rear end and tranny. Could have run over something and broke and mashed a wire under there. Put some dielectric grease on any connections. There might be a relay acting up somewhere.

I decided to check the small things first being that the transmission fluid was full and not hot or burnt smelling. And I check this blue 15 amp fuse and replaced out because it was bad and it fixed the problem. Thank god for the internet... Thank you

Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Crystal 33
New User
check the fuse

Check the fuse as they explain below I was having same problems replaced the fuse and it runs great again.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:55 AM
1999_Explorer
New User
sounds like a solenoid

Old 08-24-2015, 10:48 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Originally Posted by 1999_Explorer
sounds like a solenoid
Sounds like a guess... probably a wrong one.

Fuses, as a general rule, do not just blow on their own. They blow because something on the load side has pulled too much current which is almost always due to a short circuit of some kind. Chafed, pinched, burned or otherwise bare or damaged wiring is the most common concern. If you just replaced a fuse without finding the underlying reason for its opening, you'd better be prepared to get stranded down the road when the intermittent short circuit returns.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:44 AM
1999_Explorer
New User
blinking OD light is usually a indicator of a issue in the wiring or a bad solenoid in the transmission.
not a guess...

Last edited by 1999_Explorer; 10-25-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:52 PM
MonroeHandyMan
Senior User
Pull the plug to the Neutral Safety Switch under the truck and see if any of the pins are burnt, corroded or not in place. That has happened on my 97 and my 2000 to date. Do the same on the other side of the tranny where the plug goes to the solenoid packs.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Why all the guessing.
Get the transmission code read so you know what your doing.
Good luck.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:13 PM
bmelo
New User
Overdrive light

Same thing occurred to my truck this past week. Fortunately, it wasn’t the transmission but a faulty CMP which Ford does not make anymore.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM
formerjeepguy
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bmelo
Same thing occurred to my truck this past week. Fortunately, it wasn’t the transmission but a faulty CMP which Ford does not make anymore.
What is a CMP?

Old 01-03-2018, 03:46 PM
John11.25
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My blinking OD light was caused by mice chewing wires. Had to replace a transmission range sensor.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Dodgers562 Dodgers562
New User
Originally Posted by bc11

2003 f150 5.4 supercrew fx4> I went offroading last Sunday and i noticed when i drove thru 3 or 4 feet of water and mud, my overdrive and service engine light both came on and were flashing and then my truck started to sputter and a loss of power. Kinda drove out of the water fast. When I parked and my initial thought was I sucked in water in the air filter, But I opened it and checked. Didn't seem soaked at all but the whole top of the motor was all WET with standing water on top of the motor. I had it in 4x4lo but changed it rite away cuz it seemed it was low on power in 4x4 lo and 4x4hi. So just drove back out the ohv park but before I one last water crossing, which made the lights turn off when I drove out from the water. made it back to the main road never turning off my truck. And on the ride home the service engine and overdrive lights turned off and the truck ran fine back home. What could this be the computer/ electronics getting wet?

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 Overdrive light blinking