2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable Ignition/Door Chime

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM
SRT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disable Ignition/Door Chime

How do I disable the chime (2008 F150) that sounds when the key is in the ignition and the door is open? I'd like to keep the chime that sounds when the lights are left on and the door is open. Is it possible to accomplish both objectives?

And, on the off chance that someone from Ford ever looks at these forums: It would sure be nice if you designed the audible warnings with either a timer in the circuit (so it would sound for a few seconds and then stop); or, provide a cancel button for the chime (as is common in commercial and military aircraft).

Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM
GwarForAll1021
Elder User
i second this but i dont care about the lights if you lock the truck they will turn off on there own.

i just want it gone so i can listen to the radio with the door open

Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
kato14709
Senior User
I'll third that. I've been wondering how to do the same for a while and haven't heard of a way yet. It's tough to try to enjoy the radio with the doors open due to the ignition chime blasting away. I like the timer thought, would be the best of both worlds.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Sako 75
Senior User
Bump - bump - bump.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
hotrodford87
Senior User
Do a search for 'key-in chime' on here. You take the plastic covering off the steering column and find the black/pink wire coming from the ignition switch and snip it. It'll be found on the left side of the column. It doesn't affect anything else...just brakes the circuit to the chime.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 AM
murraydav
Senior User
why cut the wire???

No need to cut the wire. Yes the chime was driving me nuts for 3 years. Here's the 10 minute fix.
Remove the 3 phillips screws from under the plastic collar. wiggle the collar apart. It will not come away totally as the tilt wheel lever passes through and should not be messed with. You can now lay on your back and look up at the ignition switch. You will see a small silver ball type thingy about 1/8 inch round. That thingy is the release for the ignition tumbler. Put the key in the ignition, then use a scratch awl or very thin screwdriver and press (Lightly) on the ball while you turn the key back and forth. In one of the positions the ball will move into the release spot. When this happens you can wiggle and pull the switch out of its socket. Now your holding the lockset and you can see a black moon shaped plastic doodad with the black and pink wire attached. Now gently pull and wiggle the plastic out of the metal lockset. It is not easy but is is not hard either, minimal force was needed for the removal. Now take some electrical tape and cover up the metal tang. Tuck the now covered part somewhere safe and put the ignition back in its spot on the colum. It can only go in one way, and will kinda click when the ball falls into it's locking hole. Now the ignition is back and all you have to do is align the top and bottom covers and reinstall the 3 phillips screws. YER DUN SON. Ten minutes tops. Being that you have cut nothing it can all be returned to as before in about the same 10 minutes.
Now when you step out to get your mail, or get a dead cat out of your grill there will be no annoying boing boing boing driving you nutso.
Your keyless entry, door locks and absolutly everything works 100% the way it did. Why did you ever need the boing anyway????? If I try to lock the door with the key in the ignition the truck pops the lock up automaticaly. Simply cannot lock yourself out. And remeber there is a keyless entry pad on the door to let you in if your 2 year old happens to lock you out from the inside. Cannot tell you how much more I'm gonna enjoy using my truck for work now its finally quiet.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 AM
rtg143
Junior User
That's similar to how I did the older models. The same wire was at the top and you didn't have to pull the lock cylinder out. I've looked for a way before and never got around to it. I'm happy to see how easy it'll be. Thanks for posting that murraydav, now I'll stop to remove the dead cats and not wait till I get home.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
curtk69
Freshman User
Originally Posted by murraydav
No need to cut the wire. Yes the chime was driving me nuts for 3 years. Here's the 10 minute fix.
Remove the 3 phillips screws from under the plastic collar. wiggle the collar apart. It will not come away totally as the tilt wheel lever passes through and should not be messed with. You can now lay on your back and look up at the ignition switch. You will see a small silver ball type thingy about 1/8 inch round. That thingy is the release for the ignition tumbler. Put the key in the ignition, then use a scratch awl or very thin screwdriver and press (Lightly) on the ball while you turn the key back and forth. In one of the positions the ball will move into the release spot. When this happens you can wiggle and pull the switch out of its socket. Now your holding the lockset and you can see a black moon shaped plastic doodad with the black and pink wire attached. Now gently pull and wiggle the plastic out of the metal lockset. It is not easy but is is not hard either, minimal force was needed for the removal. Now take some electrical tape and cover up the metal tang. Tuck the now covered part somewhere safe and put the ignition back in its spot on the colum. It can only go in one way, and will kinda click when the ball falls into it's locking hole. Now the ignition is back and all you have to do is align the top and bottom covers and reinstall the 3 phillips screws. YER DUN SON. Ten minutes tops. Being that you have cut nothing it can all be returned to as before in about the same 10 minutes.
Now when you step out to get your mail, or get a dead cat out of your grill there will be no annoying boing boing boing driving you nutso.
Your keyless entry, door locks and absolutly everything works 100% the way it did. Why did you ever need the boing anyway????? If I try to lock the door with the key in the ignition the truck pops the lock up automaticaly. Simply cannot lock yourself out. And remeber there is a keyless entry pad on the door to let you in if your 2 year old happens to lock you out from the inside. Cannot tell you how much more I'm gonna enjoy using my truck for work now its finally quiet.
this doesnt sound right on my 2006 f150 4x4 scab xlt
it took me two screws to remove the lower dash panel, one more screw to remove lower steering column, and the lower column plastic piece wriggled right off.
then the ignition switch doesnt sem to have this silver ball release.
wassup with that?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by curtk69
this doesnt sound right on my 2006 f150 4x4 scab xlt...the ignition switch doesnt sem to have this silver ball release.
wassup with that?
This thread is 2 1/2 years old, but hopefully someone will chime in and have an answer for you.

Stewart

Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
curtk69
Freshman User
ya i realize this forum has alot of old old threads, must not be as much traffic here?
anyways i may just try n remove the black n pink wire directly from the connector if anyone knows how to remove those electrical pins from connectors w/o damaging pin or connector for possible reconnection?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
It's not as big as some of the other forums here at FTE, but it's growing.

Stewart

Old 06-05-2016, 10:13 PM
mcwhirtj
New User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I posted pictures of how I did this on my 2005 F250. I followed procedure I pieced together from various threads.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-pictures.html

Jim