How to get a motorcycle into the bed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How to get a motorcycle into the bed?

Greetings all!

I just picked up my 01 short bed and I am looking to load my 600 sports bike in the back. I know it will fit so that isn't my issue but I am curious on what equipment or method I should use to get it in and out of the bed on my own?

This will be a first for me so I could really use any suggestions or equipment recommendations you can offer me. Thanks guys and gals!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It is usually easier to get a motorcycle chick into bed than a motorcycle into your pickup bed.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JockD
It is usually easier to get a motorcycle chick into bed than a motorcycle into your pickup bed.
Well then after this is done, the rest of my life should be good to go.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Aluminum Single Motorcycle Ramp Systems At Discount Ramps.Com

Perhaps something like that?

I have seen several carriers that put the bike on its own hitch based carrier but with my 6k miles trip planned, the bike would just get annihilated with road grim.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
i went to the same place I bought my bike and got ramps. They mount on the tail gate with straps.

Or, you could try to find a hill somewhere that your tail gate is level with and see if that works.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by senix
i went to the same place I bought my bike and got ramps. They mount on the tail gate with straps.

Or, you could try to find a hill somewhere that your tail gate is level with and see if that works.
Any link to the product? I might go look around at motorcycle dealerships, good and simple thinking.

I would really like to be able to do it on my own. I am going to be driving from Atlanta, GA to Alaska and there are several spots on my voyage that I hope to pull over, unload, go crazy, and then back it back in!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick444
Any link to the product? I might go look around at motorcycle dealerships, good and simple thinking.

I would really like to be able to do it on my own. I am going to be driving from Atlanta, GA to Alaska and there are several spots on my voyage that I hope to pull over, unload, go crazy, and then back it back in!
Try this website:Motorcycle Ramps.Com, we have your motorcycle loading ramp or hauler

Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year my bike shut off on me and I had to load it into my truck...man, what a pain in the ***, mostly becasue the truck is so high.

I ended up making a ramp out of a couple 2x6's and it took me and two other guys to push it up into my truck.

Loading via hill is definitely the best method, unless you have a long ramp.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
for a streetbike you want a 8' or 10' 2x10 with a metal bracket on the end.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The (by FAR) best way to go is a simple single-rail trailer. Loading bikes into pickups is a huge pain compared to a small trailer. If you are going to AK, get a small flatbed trailer and install a channel down the center.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
tazo
Elder User
Welcome to the SpitzLift Portable Truck Crane
This is what I have to put heavy loads into the bed. I have never used it for my cbr600 but I am sure it would work just fine. I do use it to load a compressor and a 400lb brush mower. Save the old back. It is nice and light and folds down so I can store it in my toolbox.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 966 Likes on 764 Posts
You'll have to excuse the picture quality.. it's a digital picture of a print picture. This is the homemade ramp the PO of my truck built for his snowmobile, I have used it for a sled as well as bikes, took a trip to the east coast a couple years ago and had 2 street bikes on the truck, a Honda 599 and Kawasaki ZX11. The ramp is the length of the bed.. 80" in this case, so a small bank or hill is required to get faired bikes in or out without damage. There is a portion built with C channel that bolts into the bed, it has a plywood deck, and the ramp portion that slides out from underneath it and clips on. Both parts have small box steel frame under the wooden deck. The tailgate is removed when using the ramp, I just take it off and leave it home, but the whole thing will fit inside the bed with the gate closed.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quick444

If I were you I would go to Douglas Ga and pick up a trailer. It is a much more stable (lower center of gravity) way to bring your bike along.

Cargo Trailers, Enclosed Trailers & Utility Trailers for Sale - The Trailer Showroom

You can order it in the right color, with a ramp door. I would highly recommend the 24" tread plate aluminum option to protect the front and sides from rock chips. Also the v-nose option is nice for loading a bike (and fuel mileage).

The trailer idea is really best.

1. The Alcan highway is very rough in places you are about to learn what a "frost heave" is. I would not want my bike in the bed. It raises the center of gravity, there are some long curvey stretches and you will wish the bike was not back there.

2. You can load alot of other stuff in with your bike and lock the trailer. less worry about someone taking your bike, helmet, other stuff in the bed of your truck. The Alcan highway traverses through Northern British Columbia and the Yukon territory; beautiful country to be sure.....but also inhabited by a very depressed native population. Secure your belongings.

Buy a milepost book. It is the best reference you can buy for the trip. Better by far than any map and even better than a GPS.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
FlyCanadianGuy
Senior User
Look for a place that sells snowmobiles and they usually ALL have custom ramps for quickly loading sleds into the back of a pick-up. Thats what I used to get mine in, and when I wanted to unload, I found a nice hill (about 1 km down a gravel road, sucked getting my Ninja 600RR down the road at 5km/h) but it worked fine with no scratches.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:26 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A folding ramp might be a good choice also, since you have a short bed. Take a look at THESE.

Quick Reply: How to get a motorcycle into the bed?