Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

About the dodge V10...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 03:18 PM
Justin89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the dodge V10...

ok i'm really a chevy guy but i respect fords, not so much dodges(older ones yes, new ones no) i've been satisfyed with my 89 f-150 so far, but anyways yall are sayin that the srt/10 with have a viper motor and that it going to make it way over 30K that the "L" is, well didn't dodge put the 8.0L V10 in 2500 and 3500 trucks? and if so i doubt they were much more if any than a diesel. i know the viper engine had diff heads and so on but when you take what would be about a 16,000 dollar truck and put on 5k worth of ugly wheels and tires and then the V10 would be about a 9-10k option, i think it is feasable, unlikely but still possable. you say the viper is 72K but i think the price of the viper is way to high in the first place and your really just buyin somethin for indviduality. just my 2 cents worth.

PS the dodge is still ugly and the base motors are weak.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:43 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
About the dodge V10...

The v-10 that they are intending to put into the srt/10 is a all aluminum 8.3L 505 cubic inch, 500hp, 500ft/lbs. There is a lot of difference between the viper and truck motors than that. One thing is that the viper motor is a speed motor and the truck motor is a hauling motor. Second there would be a way difference power band. If you want to know more read the recent motor trend, they have an article on the new viper with engine details.(i think dodge made the viper ugly)

82' Flareside with plenty of go and show to.

2/4 Drop
Soon to have 325hp 351 Clevo
(maybe more,in a 3600lb truck)
Backed by a C6 with a 2000 rpm stall and a 3.50 9 incher
American Racing AR-23 (series 23) wheels
Upgraded interior
Soon to have a kick @$$ stereo

Old 05-11-2002, 09:25 AM
wwwes
Freshman User
About the dodge V10...

Read somewhere the 03 Viper engine is like $16,000.

Old 05-12-2002, 03:23 AM
Falcon1
Freshman User
About the dodge V10...

We can all sit here and say how ugly the Viper truck is, but who cares, it is a truck and it goes 0-60 in five seconds flat...So now if they make them, Dodge owns the title to the fastest truck on the market. Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard Ford guy, I just hope Ford's SVT does something about this, and gets their title back. I can't wait to see what happens. I pray that Ford will through their supercharged 32 valve DOHC 5.4L in the Lightning, then we will see who the real mayor of truckville is. But right now, and for the past few years it has always been the FORD Lightning, not some weak *** Dodge Ram.

Old 05-12-2002, 10:11 PM
SlamD
New User
About the dodge V10...

I'll give this to dodge... the truck looks not bad... and yes it will have an insane engine under the hood... but it will have an at least 50000$ american price tag... and perhaps it is just the canuck in me but it will most likely guzzle more gas, cost wayyy more to fix, be less of use in winter, have no payload or towing capacity(unlike lightning)... and its built quality will again be lower than Ford's b/c it is a dodge... really... unless u have too much money to spend and are in serious doubt of yourself... it is a complete waste of money... and to me at least doubling the price is not worth the extra second 0-60... as is I'd get enough tickets w/ a Lightning...*L*

Old 05-13-2002, 01:44 PM
Falcon1
Freshman User
About the dodge V10...

That is true, the Viper Truck can not be a daily driver like the Lightning. Unless money isn't an issue, the average joe will not drive a gas guzzling race truck to work everyday. I believe if Dodge makes the Viper truck, they still won't be as popular as the Viper, and the people who own them will only use them for their Friday or Saturday night cruiser. At some point a vehicle becomes impractical, thats why if the Viper truck is released we will never see as close to the number of them as we do the Lightning.

Old 06-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Syzle
Senior User
About the dodge V10...

If I ever do see a Viper Truck, I'm not gonna be impressed.. I'm gonna laugh at the moron who spent the money on it.

Old 06-09-2002, 09:02 PM
junehhan
Junior User
About the dodge V10...

Actually, the Dudge SRT10 might not get as bad gas mileage if it ends up coming with the 6 speed tranny and nice tall gears. The SRT10 with the Viper engine would not need short sprinting gears due to the fact the engine has no much torque throughout the entire powerband. However, I will believe it when I see it, and even then, one could always spend a little money and make your Lightning even faster.

2002 True Blue SVT Lightning
-all stock and will stay stock

Old 06-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Syzle
Senior User
About the dodge V10...

Okay, if you had the money to buy a SRT/10... you could take that money, buy a Lightning, and have a much, much better vehicle using the money you saved and putting it into your Lightning. And who wants to spend that much on something so ugly. I haven't seen a better looking truck than a Ford Lightning, and I don't think I ever will. It seems like the -NEW- thing to do is for companies to build uglier and uglier trucks/SUVs. I'll stick with a Ford.

Old 06-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Uke
New User
About the dodge V10...

a friend ordered an '03 lightning and he was told by ford anywhere from 470 -500 hp, dodge ain't got nuthin

Old 06-16-2002, 05:10 PM
junehhan
Junior User
About the dodge V10...

Out of curiosity, any idea on the price of an 03 Lightning yet? I'm curious how much they'll run, especially if they are going to get a significant power boost. Let's hope Ford told your friend to truth!

Old 06-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Syzle
Senior User
About the dodge V10...

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Jun-02 AT 00:17 AM (EST)]You say 0-60 in 5 secs flat in a production truck... and that makes the price understandable and the ugliness acceptable? 0-60 in 5 secs flat umm can we say Syclone? Lol.. yep. And it didn't need a 16k Viper motor and it still does the 1/4 in 13.8 secs or something... with HALF the HP of the Viper Motor. and if GM can do it, Ford can do it better ..with the '03 Lightnings I hope.. I mean, 500 hp/lb torque? Ford will outdo the SRT10 performance numbers with less cubes and hp/torque in the near future, I'm sure. Oh yeah.. the Syclone cost $26,000 or so new.. and the Lightnings these days cost a bit more.. and Dodge is getting slightly better numbers with TWICE the HP and... TWICE the PRICE?? Blaaaaah. So the point is, if you're buying an Srt10.. you're playing for a whole lot of ugly! And an outrageous, unrealistic vehicle. If you own one of these in the future, I will LAUGH at you.

Oh yeah.. how much do you think its gonna cost to get your SRT10 fixed when you brake something with all that horsepower/torque? Mmmhmm. And the cost to make it go faster? Alot. How cheap is it to mod a lightning to do 12s? A chip, some better tires, a supercharger pulley.. Oh lets not even talk about how easy it is to crank more boost out of those Syclones...

Old 06-30-2002, 07:16 PM
junehhan
Junior User
About the dodge V10...

We should be assuming that if you have money to buy a Viper Truck, then you will also not have any problems affording repairs, maintanence, operating costs, and so on. It's ugly, but the point I think is that it about getting the most performance you can out of the box. As far as Syclones go, they might be easy to get more boost out of, but how reliably can you get the boost? I hear lots of horror stories of people blowing their engines on the Syclones. OTOH, i'll just stick with my Lightning, put on a chip, intake, pully, and exhaust, and i'll just laugh as I say bye bye Viper truck owner who paid too much for such an ugly truck!

Old 07-03-2002, 10:58 PM
junehhan
Junior User
About the dodge V10...

Old 04-08-2004, 03:00 AM
deaton_1
New User
Now correct me if i'm wrong but I have seen the latest 0-60 times and 1/4 times for the new dodge. 5.2 sec 0-60 and 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. I have a 2002 lightning and everyone i've talked to gave the same times for the 120 less hp lightning. Dodge better do something before their 500 hp monster is out classed by a 380 hp ford that costs $10,000 less. With $10,000 extra into a lightning i'll be able to whoop the vipers azz.

Quick Reply: About the dodge V10...