Do you guys use both heating eliments?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
whiteaddiction
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys use both heating eliments?

I have my first processor in construction, I figure if I only do a batch of about 20 gallons, The top heating eliment of my water heater will not be in the oil, So do I unplug the top one and just use the bottom? Also How hot do I set the temp on the water heater? 140 Degrees? And it will shut of when it reaches this temp?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only used bottom element (220). Heats up plenty fast. Also modified the heater to go up to 170+ by removing the stop on the thermostat. We took the top element out and put a plug in there so now there is a spare if needed...

Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
whiteaddiction
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger
Only used bottom element (220). Heats up plenty fast. Also modified the heater to go up to 170+ by removing the stop on the thermostat. We took the top element out and put a plug in there so now there is a spare if needed...
Will the heater shut off when the oil reaches temp? I thought 140 Was the tempature you where suppose to use?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the thermostat limits the temp. Sorry for the confusion, we run ours hotter for de-watering and distillation of the methanol. We run the reaction @ 135.